Posted by wvonkessler 
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

Ford 8.8 IRS in Bimmer?
February 27, 2008 03:14PM
What do you know about these diffs/diff casings? Have you ever monkeyed with one?

Wilson

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Ford 8.8 IRS in Bimmer?
February 27, 2008 03:27PM
wvonkessler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What do you know about these diffs/diff casings?
> Have you ever monkeyed with one?

YEARS ago rejected on grounds of size and pain in the ass inner drive connections.
My nifty adaptors for the Toiletta Stupra are 40 each, the cost on the short runs of some of the XR guys using the Ford thing (out of sheer dogma---it's FORD) is more than 10 times that and then they must use custom half shafts costing 800 bucks, or so.
I am near dead certain that your Bowel Movement Wonder inner CV bolt circle will match one of the 2 bolt circles in my adaptors so just keep saying Toiletta Toiletta, hell! It's a match made in heaven: You have this wonderful Bowel Movement and you're using Toilleta parts.

Just put the seat down when you're done!
>
> Wilson
>
> My opinions are my own and are not to be construed
> as representing the viewpoint of any other person
> or organization. How's that for legalese?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 27, 2008 03:44PM
Why would you ever want to?
The BMW diff has a stock or Kaaz clutch LSD option and ratios up to 4.44 available and interchangeable between most E30 and E36 range.
Or, as John points out, the Supra diff is the shit and his adapters will work with E30 halfshafts with the simple help of a drill and tap to take the halfshaft connector bolts up to M10X1.5 instead of M8X1.25. The BMW has the same bolt circle as the Merkur (100 PCD or so) but uses the larger size attaching bolts, like Audi does.

Grant Hughes
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

February 27, 2008 04:41PM
There is some guy putting BMW diffs into XR4's now, right Grant? The 8.8 is plentiful, but it's a big heavy pig compared to most anything else. That Surpa plan is brilliant, if JV ever gets the beams finished. smiling smiley

What are the Group Fers doing with their BMWs?

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

February 27, 2008 05:53PM
I don't know what GFers are doing, but I did notice that the one Grant showed for sale had a 4 speed straight cut gearbox, which obviously is not stock.

BMW has a lot of ratios, but they get expensive real quick. I got quotes from a BMW diff guy here in the states that is shipping 5.25s etc. to rally guys in Scandahoovia and they run about $2K. Therefore my quest to find a nice bolt in solution that lets you use cheap 'Merican made ring and pinions and lockers - you know, ones that cost lower 3 digits, not 4. I thought the 8.8 might be it, as big engined Miatas and Turbo RX7s are using them now, and I know I can get up to 6.3:1 or thereabouts if I need to.

Are there smaller 'Merican IRS cases with appropriate ratios?

Wilson

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 27, 2008 06:44PM
No. I'll find the stock ratio chart for you. The BMW have some lower ratio stuff around 4.44 stock that could be hunted down at junkyards, though I seem to recall the 4.1 stuff is more plentiful. I want to say E30 M3 had those.
If you are even considering doing anything else, do the Suprah. Don't waste your time elsewhere and honestly it can't be too difficult.
Here's some pictures of Supra and BMW diffs.
http://nocoastmotorsports.net/Build/Merkur/BMWDiff/

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login