Advanced

external oil cooler

Posted by gpbullock 
gpbullock
Mark Bullock
Junior Moderator

external oil cooler
April 22, 2008 04:30PM
I'm planning on adding an external oil cooler. I want to have a remote location for the oil filter due to the extremely lame position of the stock Ford Focus oil filter location. It's completely unserviceable when the underbody protection is attached and the underbody is a bitch to remove. Should have done it with Dzus
fasteners. Anyway, I would prefer to run AN fittings with braided lines, but if there are other suggestions I am open to them. As always, cost is a factor but I would like to only have to much around with this mod. once if possible. Also, pics are appreciated to those who have done this type of addition and have photos. Thanks,

Mark B
Plan B Racing
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: external oil cooler
April 22, 2008 05:04PM
Hey Mark. I won't repeat what I said on specialstage, but I will post this picture.

There is a thread where I gave all the parts I used for mine. Yours should be similar.
If you're going with the remote filter, then definitely find the RX7 oil cooler with the built in thermostat. Get some AN-10 adapters to go into it. Get the Permacool 4 way remote oil filter kit and Permacool adapter plate off the block. 2 - 3/8 NPT to AN-10 and 2 - 1/2 NPT to AN-10 adapters. You'll have two spare holes on the remote filter that can be used for temp senders or whatever, or to supply oil to something else, like a turbo.
I used Setrab because they were cheap used on ebay. I wish I'd gone with the RX7 with the thermostat though. I thought I'd be crafty and use a remote thermostat, but don't really have anywhere to put it or want to deal with the extra lines to use it. But I probably will end up needing to in order to get the engine oil temperatures up.

Grant Hughes
Attachments:
open | download - 08Mar8enginebay.jpg (85.7 KB)
08Mar8enginebay.jpg
gpbullock
Mark Bullock
Junior Moderator

April 22, 2008 05:35PM
Thanks for the info. again Grant, I'm a little restricted on space in the engine bay. Yours looks nice and open. Spec Focus requires us to run our battery in the stock location but I'm thinking more and more about making the focus a g2 or m2 because of the additions we are going to have to add to make the car reliable.
Vorpal_Rally
Stinkfinger Lipschitz
Infallible Moderator

April 22, 2008 08:16PM
Instead of Dzus fasteners, which are fine for certain applications, I'd gently suggest you check out Camloc panel fasteners. Operating on the same basic principle, the bucket is where the cam action takes place, rather than on the rotating mechanism. The rotating mechanism has two short pins that ride the cam profile and lock the piece in place.

It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion.
William Ralph Inge

TANSTAAFL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login