Posted by eyesoreracing 
eyesoreracing
Dave Coleman
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda3, SE-R Spec-V, 510

JVL's Duratec/MZR Capri
May 13, 2008 09:35PM
I stumbled into pictures of JVL's Duratec-powered Capri project last week and thought I'd throw out some of the few little details I've learned working on the Mazda version of the engine.

First, I have been told that the Ranger block you used in that Capri has different accessory mounts than the rest of Mazda's engines. I don't know if this is true or not, so here are some pictures of the side of a Mazda6 block to compare to your Ranger block (hopefully you can post them up next to these for comparitory excitement)

Sorry I don't have a very good picture of the left side of the engine...

There are at least two different belt routing schemes designed to work on the MZR/Duratec. The engine in the above pics uses the MX-5/Mazdaspeed3 layout, with the alternator on the exhaust side, A/C on the intake side, and a power steering pump mounted to the head.

With no power steering, you'll probably want to run the Mazda3 routing, like this:

Ditch the A/C compressor on the bottom, of course....

A Mazda5 alternator is SUPPOSED to be 100A, though I haven't been able to confirm that. I think it depends on options, since my base model Mazda5 has a 90A alternator. Anyway, they're light and bolt directly to the block without brackets.

For high-rpm use, you can switch to an MX-5 crank pulley, which is smaller. I don't know of any water pump issues, though, so it might not be worth the effort. I also don't know what you're doing to make sparks. If your spark solution involves the crank angle sensor and the trigger wheel that's on the pulley, you need to see if the pattern is the same...

And, you need a front cover designed for the tall 2.3, and the small diameter pulley. That would come from a Mazda6 or probably a Ford Fusion.

This opens a can of worms, though, as some front covers have an oil passage in them to feed the head, others feed the head through a hole in the head gasket surface.

If the Mazda6 had that passage, it would be here:

but its in the front cover. You don't want to mix and match parts from the two different oiling strategies. it's not worth the effort.

Also, be careful that any head gasket you use has the right hole to match the oil passage you have. I've made that mistake. I've seen others make that mistake. If the valvetrain is really loud after a head gasket swap, that's probably why...

Finally, last part of my brain dump:
MX-5 oil pan designed for 1.2G cornering. Probably won't clear any Capri crossmember, but there it is, just in case...

Please Login or Register to post a reply
Lurch
Eric Burmeister
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazdaspeed3 and Mazda Protege

Re: JVL's Duratec/MZR Capri
May 28, 2008 02:47AM
Dave,

How deep is that Mx5 pan? Like the lowest exterior point from the bottom of the block? Also, do you know the capacity? Neat find.

Thanks,
eric

Lurch
Eric Burmeister
The west coast...of Michigan
eyesoreracing
Dave Coleman
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda3, SE-R Spec-V, 510

May 28, 2008 06:41PM
Lurch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dave,
>
> How deep is that Mx5 pan? Like the lowest
> exterior point from the bottom of the block?
> Also, do you know the capacity? Neat find.
>
> Thanks,
> eric

Hard to say exactly, since the engine is sitting slightly crooked on the pan, but its about 140mm/5.5in deep.
That 1.2G, of course, is with the engine mounted north/south, but looking in the pan, it looks like it has better slosh protection with an east/west mounting anyway...

So when did you get your forcible escape from Ford, man? That sucks, to say the least. Is this old news and I'm the last to notice?

-Dave
Lurch
Eric Burmeister
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazdaspeed3 and Mazda Protege

May 30, 2008 10:58AM
I was one of the very last contractors left in the studios. I turned down a permanent position a couple times and that may have saved me, but I'm actually very much looking forward to my new life as a design freelancer.

Building a studio in my basement. Moved to Holland (MI) to be with the woman...and near my shop/rallycar/track.

This all happened a few weeks ago.

All good. Thanks for the concern, tho.

Lurch
Eric Burmeister
The west coast...of Michigan
eyesoreracing
Dave Coleman
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda3, SE-R Spec-V, 510

May 30, 2008 02:07PM
Sounds fantastic! Glad to hear you're taking it as an opportunity. Any move that gets you closer to your rally cars and your women at the same time is a good move.

-D
hudson
Andrew McNally
Elite Moderator

May 30, 2008 07:00PM
How messed up was it working at Ford? I often wonder what it's like to work at a massive company that's going down the crapper.

I hope you don't mind me asking.

Andrew M
Onterrible
30ish
eyesoreracing
Dave Coleman
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda3, SE-R Spec-V, 510

June 08, 2008 01:46AM
Lurch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dave,
>
> How deep is that Mx5 pan? Like the lowest
> exterior point from the bottom of the block?
> Also, do you know the capacity? Neat find.
>
> Thanks,
> eric

Here are some pics of the pan in the car:

Bottom of the pan tilts forward a bit, and the drain plug is on the higher rear side of the pan.

I'm not completely sure the engine is sitting right, seems like the pulley side is hanging lower than the trans side. Probably because I used a 2.0-liter engine mount with a 2.3-liter engine. Taller block might mean higher mounting point on the front cover. I need to check that.

-Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login