Advanced

Carburated turbo ?

Posted by morten3 
morten3
morten3
Professional Moderator

Carburated turbo ?
August 07, 2008 04:20PM
The Colt is still sitting and has been put on a bit of a backburner for the moment.

The KM132 tranny that's in it, is the same that Hyundai has used in the Sonata. So I have a transmission source, without too much fussing around fabricating.

I have a Kiwi friend who's a millright and another who's an automotive painter / drift driver. The 4G54 is plentiful in their neck of the woods and used regularly for drifting and 1/4 mile runs.

Appearantly bolting a turbo running low boost toe the stock engine using a carb set up is not that uncommon down there for a low buck set up. They've mentioned that tuning the carb is the biggest problem but once it's tuned, it's a simple set up.

I remember back in the 80's when I was into VW Type I's that the turbo's were carburated and made BIG power.

Does anyone here have experience, thoughts, advice, etc with running a carburated turbo set up ?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Haztoys
David Rodgers
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
90 Mitsu truck ..And needing something new just not sure what..???

Re: Carburated turbo ?
August 07, 2008 06:34PM
Put a stock Starion motor in it ..Its more horse power then you can handle... To bad you are not near Arizona ...I have just what you need ...Your trying to go to trick ...Just get the car going..The only thing horse power is going to get you is on your roof in the ditch...

Make it run first..

Thats the problem these days ..It has to be trick or know one will race (drive) it ... (eye roll)
morten3
morten3
Professional Moderator

August 07, 2008 07:19PM
Believe me if the Starion or Conquest "HAD" been imported and sold in Canada then that would be my first choice.

I can't even find a cheap donor car, let alone any parts.

So it doesn't seem like much of an option.
Haztoys
David Rodgers
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
90 Mitsu truck ..And needing something new just not sure what..???

August 07, 2008 10:36PM
You would still be better off getting the stuff shipped in from the US ... If you could get a motor to JV ...You could get Starion parts .. Whats your budget ... I've got the parts you need ...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 08, 2008 12:43AM
Haztoys Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You would still be better off getting the stuff
> shipped in from the US ... If you could get a
> motor to JV ...You could get Starion parts ..
> Whats your budget ... I've got the parts you need
> ...
If this guy had one ounce of brains he'd send a piston to J&E and say make me 4 just like that but + .020.

But he's hopeless, he wants to make problems for himself then he has an excuse why nothing works.

He had taken the car to some super-hero race shop back when it was first in his hands for a drip from a pan extension that the previous owner had done and which what any idiot could have cured by reaching up or down with a MiG gun and given the pinhole leak a good hot zap, and of course that turned into a cluster fuck.

Why can't he take it back there, or why can't they figure out how to measure a piston and order since he's too dim to?

I mean these engines are simple enough that any high school level guy ought to be able to pull the engine and strip it down and have it bored to a good clean hole and reassemble.

He was told the bores were not pretty 3.5 years ago, but pleaded budget.
A set a pistons and problem solved and that's a lot easier than any other course of action and that is simple enough for anybody to figure out.
This guy is supposed to be constrained in the Sin Bin for malicious slander and threats, but he's clever enough to get 2 more sign on names, but not clever enough to figure out the simplest easiest solution.

He has no intentions of solving his problem.

He is the ultimate time-waster.

Don't waste time responding to him, it'll only lead to hundreds and hundreds of emails with each question you answer generating 4 or 5 new questions.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
morten3
morten3
Professional Moderator

August 08, 2008 09:31AM
JVL... do you ever tire of your own bullshit ?

For fuck sakes man... let it go, you're going to turn into more of a miserable prick than you already are !

You newer told me shit about the bores, and your "pinhole" leak looked like this :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2008 09:48AM by morten3.
Attachments:
open | download - l14.jpg (44 KB)
l14.jpg
morten3
morten3
Professional Moderator

August 08, 2008 09:48AM
That's a pic I took after JVL rebuilt my engine, and installed it in my car.

It was fucking pissing oil !

JVL said :

"which what any idiot could have cured by reaching up or down with a MiG gun and given the pinhole leak a good hot zap"

Any idiot, huh ?

The fact is that you chose to build my engine, then boast and post pics on specialstage about how great your hybrid engine is. You fucking knew it was pissing oil, but didn't mention that in your posts, or anything to me.

Then when I got the car home and realized how bad it was leaking... what was your brilliant solution ? Oh yeah I remember "Just put some JB Weld on it".

Seems to me by your statement that you consider yourself more of an idiot, since you didn't zap it with a mig yourself.

I mean who builds an engine that pisses oil, doesn't tell the customer, accepts full payment, and then tells him to put fucking JB Weld on it ???

Oh yeah -> JVL Does !

Judging by what Chris Sanborn has posted I'm not the only one with complaints about JVL.

When I paid to have the leak fixed... the engine ran for 250KM before the one of the circlips came off and JVL's engine needed a full rebuild.

Real Great Workmanship - JVL you're a fucking HACK !

I'd gotton over it but you just keep shit talking, making cheap shots at me, etc...

Try not to forget that I'm the customer that got fucked over !!!

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 08, 2008 12:26PM
Fucktard you're such an idiot its hard to even try to talk to you.

You wander off the subject and have ZERO memory---too much BC Bud from the sound of it. It does rot your brain eventually.

Morten in all the years you've been doing the carpentry or whatever it is you do, are you saying you've never had a complaint?
Never had an idiot CUSTOMER who can't be made happy when they ASKED FOR a minimal "just do the minimum" to get it going?

Shut up.

You're turbo idea is stupid, got that? And blow thru car turbo is beyond stupid it RETARDED. THINKING of some retarded idea and actually asking what should be an obvious answer to anybody with any metabolic activity above their navel shows you're just wasting time.
Isn't there some Fan-boy site you can go and annoy?

what makes you think you can keep it going?

Don't answer.

In the responses to guys wasting time trying to answer you has been answers you need in front of your nose but you are too stupid to take the information and get on with making your car run.

Go away voluntarily.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
morten3
morten3
Professional Moderator

August 08, 2008 06:58PM
No actually I've never had one of those customers.

Last year I renovated a 3 story condo in downtown Vancouver. I contracted out the mud work (drywall finishing), and the guy did a so so job. I wasn't happy turning it over to the customer, so I demo'd it again and had another drywaller re-finish it. I paid $2800 out of pocket because I wasn't happy enough to turn the result over to my customer (who may not have noticed the defects). There's a word for that - > INTEGRITY !

The blow through turbo idea came from a drift guy I know who told me that it's done in Australia on the 4G54.

I figured I'd ask here where people have waaaay more knowledge than I do for a second opinion. I wasn't expecting on being called stupid for simply asking for a 2nd opinion.

As for "just do the minimum"... what did you do ?

Main bearings, rod bearings, forged pistons, head job, and a few other things. I never said "do the minimum"... if you recall I was going to but pistons and a new ported head from "Top End" in California but you talked me out of it.

It shouldn't be a surprise that I'm looking at what other options are available to me, that would be more reliable than that hybrid piece of shit you engineered.
I've had the engine built THREE times in less that 1000 miles !

BUT hey... JVL is this how's it going to be (shit talking back and fourth) ?

I had let this go until you posted that crap response to "Dude how come you're in here" (in the Sin Bin).

Are you able to bury it ?

I am !

Pete
Pete Remner
Godlike Moderator

August 09, 2008 02:47PM
Carbureted turbo = "I like working on my car a lot more than I like driving it"

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

August 09, 2008 10:38PM
The only carbureted turbo I've ever been familiar with is a very old Corvair, and its coolness factor was only outweighed by how much it blew.

Yes, that was a triple-entendre.

Self-righteous douche canoe
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

August 10, 2008 08:21AM
Only thing worse than a car with a carburated turbo is one with two.

Though I did almost buy one once.
morten3
morten3
Professional Moderator

August 10, 2008 01:01PM
Thanks for the info guys !

Bruce Beauvais
Bruce Beauvais
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
none- right seat's for me

August 12, 2008 09:55AM
hoche Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only carbureted turbo I've ever been familiar
> with is a very old Corvair, and its coolness
> factor was only outweighed by how much it blew.
>
>
> Yes, that was a triple-entendre.
> Actually the Corvair turbo sucked.

Through a Carter 1bbl sidedraft carb. I did a friend convert one to blow through a 140hp 4 carb setup.
>
>

Bruce Beauvais
Too many SAABs to count

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2008 09:57AM by Bruce Beauvais.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login