"Some people are afraid of heights, not me. I'm afraid of widths"
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Pete
Pete Remner
Godlike Moderator

Re: Looking for any and all advice on suiting a Turbo II Rx7
November 11, 2008 07:41AM
Look at it this way Alex...

The Turbo II uses the same size radiator as the non turbo FC and the radiator core is within 1/2" all around of the radiator used in MY car, which does not use turbos, and I have one hell of a time keeping the engine cool while *rallycrossing*, at sea level, when it's like 50 degrees out.

Add a turbo or remove a few PSI of air density and it'd be tons worse. Add temp and it IS a lot worse. Add all three and you're really REALLY stressing your cooling systems.

One of the reasons why I may yet do the 2.3 swap.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
low impedance
Alex M. Staidle
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1987 Mazda Rx7

November 11, 2008 08:16PM
but the rally cross events are a much lower speed event

~A.M.S.

cablerhodes
Cable Rhodes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda RX-7 Turbo

November 12, 2008 06:31PM
I have both built and rallied a turbo II. I took a very practical approach to the build, and if you have a few tools, ie a welder, bender, grinder, etc, you can build one cheaply, granted you aleady have the car and the engine runs. I didn't go the al radiator route, I fond one from a Nissan p/u and it works great. I broke the first one ( a three row) and could only find a two row, and found out it cooled better than the three row. Bigger is not better sometimes. I've had no cooling problems except when laughlin had a hill climb portion where I was taching it out at 5 mph. I run a sprayer adapted from the washer bottle using the original dash mounted button. I still run the original turbo, yes, the original, with an S5 manifold (intake and exhaust), and have little turbo lag. I built a subframe in the front to mount skidplates and used the rear antisway mounting brackets and tow hook mounts to build a removable subframe for the gas tank skid plate mount. I built my own cage. Make sure you read the rules so you're covered if you ever want to run any perf rallies. I use stock electonics, save for a little box that tricks the ecu into thinking there is less than actual boost, to keep the ecu from shutting down the fuel to the rear rotor and killing the motor. The stock brakes are awesome, I just use a better pad and cross drilled rotors. I built the suspension using bilstein rally inserts up front and bilstein coilovers in the rear. I adapted adjustable perches to the fronts for better adjustment. I have run this car and won mulitple championships and many class wins, as well as running 120+ mph on a stage in Prescott. I love RX-7's and think that with the right approach, you can have a very competitive 2wd rwd car that was fairly inexpensive to build. I would find a parts car, though.

Cable Rhodes
Boise, Idaho
'87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2008 06:42PM by cablerhodes.
Attachments:
open | download - 12.jpg (34.1 KB)
12.jpg
open | download - rx7-2 copy.jpg (171.6 KB)
rx7-2 copy.jpg
low impedance
Alex M. Staidle
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1987 Mazda Rx7

November 13, 2008 01:03PM
its seems like the GXL wheels are a good choice?

also what tires do you recommend using on dirt courses? Hankook 202?

~A.M.S.

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 13, 2008 01:46PM
I personally dislike Hankook. I choose to run used Michelin gravels over new Hankooks. They will last longer and have better grip.

Grant Hughes
low impedance
Alex M. Staidle
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1987 Mazda Rx7

November 13, 2008 01:51PM
additionally, i lack the equipment to build a cage myself. MAYBE if the main hoop and what not was installed. Then i could always add stuff on later as far as straight bars go.

What parts liked to fail, if any?
Anything you might do different if you were to build the car again etc?

I am planning on starting to acquire some this and that items starting this weekend. May not install them as of yet (house is priority) but i want to start the process. The cage is the biggest obstacle followed by rebuilding my engine.

~A.M.S.

low impedance
Alex M. Staidle
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1987 Mazda Rx7

November 13, 2008 01:52PM
NoCoast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I personally dislike Hankook. I choose to run
> used Michelin gravels over new Hankooks. They
> will last longer and have better grip.
>
> Grant Hughes
> www.nocoastmotorsports.net
> Denver, CO

so you feel the mich. gravels are better for the CHCA?

~A.M.S.

cablerhodes
Cable Rhodes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda RX-7 Turbo

November 13, 2008 07:13PM
I've used everything, nothing new. I've had the best luck with Michelin, but that's soley based on how good they were when I got them. Honestly, I liked the Silverstones the best. There are many upgrade/backgrades you can make with the Turbo model, but if you're dealing with used parts, it means you use what is in best condition. Engine harnesses are one item whre you need to find the best and go with it. My turbo II had a crappy harness, so I bought one online and got VERY lucky. They are getting hard to find. As far as failure points, there really aren't many except for the regulars. Front strut top mounts can push out the rubber. I cut the lip off with a Plasma cutter and put a 1/4 plate on top and never worried about it again. Very easy and cheap. The rear you'll have to remove the speaker mounts by drilling the spot welds, then weld around the perimeter to make sure they don't separate. Again, I've beat the shit out of my car and it has held together well. I even have the original rubber bushing still in the suspension pivot points. You can get these for cheap, but I never got around to it. Yes the GXL wheels are a great choice. They fit ove the brakes and are cheap. Since they are 15" wheels, you can find good used tires for cheap if you are patient.

Cable Rhodes
Boise, Idaho
'87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 13, 2008 09:02PM
No. I think Michelins are better than Hankooks period. They're also quite a bit more money, but worth it in my opinion.
I've heard Silverstone's are very comparable to Michelins.
Fact is US rally is like a high school and smoking weed, snowboarding, punk rock, etc. Every few years a new 'trend comes along and everybody jumps on it, then a few years later something new comes along. DMS suspension then, RSSP suspension now, who knows in three years. Hankooks are in that same trend. They came out of nowhere, sponsored a few top guys who then talked about how cool they were and ended up with some good results thanks to these good drivers and the fact that they were willing to sell them to all the small shops so get their tires out there. Michelin there are two sources in the US for, Silverstone one, Yokohama and Pirelli you have to go to Canada for currently. Hankook, there has to be at least 5 or 6 dealers of them in the US, nevermind the fact that they give their end dealers probably less than 10% margins, but hey, it allows people to be able to sell rally tires and any money made is good money made right?
Oh, and when I say Michelin I suppose we should start saying BFG since they're now being rebranded.

Grant Hughes
low impedance
Alex M. Staidle
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1987 Mazda Rx7

November 13, 2008 10:34PM
as a margin of pricing though, if i could get a set of Hankooks for my first tires, i might worth it. Being new, do i really need the top of the line tires for my first two or three hill climbs?

~A.M.S.

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 13, 2008 11:05PM
low impedance Wrote:
> as a margin of pricing though, if i could get a
> set of Hankooks for my first tires, i might worth
> it. Being new, do i really need the top of the
> line tires for my first two or three hill climbs?

No, so get used Michelins.
>
> ~A.M.S.
>
> "Some people are afraid of heights, not me. I'm
> afraid of widths"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Nathan S
Nathan S
Junior Moderator

November 14, 2008 07:07AM
I ran one for a few years. Great car.

Yes, the cooling was an issue, but definitely 'solve-able'. My car ended up with: standard mechanical fan; big aluminium radiator; two oil coolers, in series (1x second gen, 1x first gen); and a auto trans cooler that actually cooled the water coming out of the turbo before it went back into the lower rad hose.

Made ~360hp at the flywheel, with a standard Series5 turbo and standard interocooler (our rules stipulate that we must run these), on 7psi boost (although it started to run away at higher RPM).
A good tune of your aftermarket ECU is worth its weight in gold - mine gained ~30KW ATW AND a heap of drivability simply by being a bit less timid on the off-boost ignition timing.
A close ratio gearbox would still have been a worthwhile addition, but my pauper budget mean that it stayed standard.

The standard wheels are soft, but good suspension and good tyres mean that they will last.

Front chassis rails are weak, and should be plated before rally use. Oddly enough, they usually bend across the hole in their inner vetrical face, between the cross-member mounting points - I know this doesn't make sense, but that's what happens.

low impedance
Alex M. Staidle
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1987 Mazda Rx7

November 14, 2008 10:04AM
maybe you have a picture of what your discussing?

~A.M.S.

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 14, 2008 11:04AM
low impedance Wrote:
> as a margin of pricing though, if i could get a
> set of Hankooks for my first tires, i might worth
> it. Being new, do i really need the top of the
> line tires for my first two or three hill climbs?

Did you ask for advice or confirmation on what you want to do? Yes, right now you can get 170 Hankook 202s from Mitch for $100 per tire and two sets should get you through a season of hill climbs. I've already given my advice.
As an example, I ran two hill climbs and Rally Colorado using four different used Michelins in the front. Plus a few days of CORE testing. I trashed a used set of Hankooks that were in the same shape and from the same team as the used Michelins in one day of testing at CORE. This is the team that got Hankooks from free early on, but now that they have to pay for the tires, won't buy anything but Michelins.

There's been people do okay at hill climbs on snow tires.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login