Posted by Tom B 
Tom B
Tom B
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

Shop Supplies
December 14, 2008 02:59AM
Who has some good cheap ass sources for shop supplies?

I go through contractor bags, cut off wheels, wire wheels, grinder bits and jig saw blades pretty frequently, and guess what, the less I spend on this crap, the more rallying I get to do..

other stuff like brake cleaner and spray lube would be good too..?

-Tom
DemonRallyTeam | Fine Tuning | CTS Turbo & RP Turbos | RalleyTuned | JRM | Meister Autowerks
Spitfire EFI | Product Apparel | JVAB Imports | NLS | AP Tuning | USRT

Add us on Facebook | Next Event: 2013 Olympus Rally June 22-23 Olympia, WA
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Ted Andkilde
Ted Andkilde
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1968 Mini

Re: Shop Supplies
December 14, 2008 11:13AM
Don't know if this will be terribly helpful...

I find spending a little bit more dough on the grinding disks with little bits of sandpaper around the edge really cuts down on the number of grinding disks I go through, Also, buying a parts washer was a big cost saver on brake-clean as I was was wasting most of it before. A Harbor Freight (Princess Auto in Canuckistan) $25 sheet metal nibbler (3 bladed scissor style) reduces cut off wheel and body saw blade consumption.

Haven't tried it yet but I'm really tempted by those snazzy stainless steel rechargeable aerosol cans that you fill from a gallon jug of brake cleaner or WD40 and pump up with the air compressor.

I need help finding a "time-expander" so I can get more done in the shop while still seeing the family and remaining gainfully employed -- I could also use a "minion" to tidy up as I work on projects -- I am a huge slob and my shop reflects that. A huge pot of money would probably come in handy as well smiling smiley

As for traditional cheapness, make friends with your parts store manager and he'll give you trade rate (or if you're lucky and pushy enough, an account) on full cases of brake clean, spray lube, etc.

t

Pure mathematics is the enemy of every truly creative man -- Sir Alec
Tim Taylor
Tim Taylor
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda 323 GTX

December 14, 2008 01:43PM
Their cutoff discs suck but the SMT 630 flap discs are the best thing I have ever used.

http://www.klingspor.com/products/klgprsmt.htm

All of their abrasives are consistently cheaper than 3M, Weller, or Norton and generally work just as well. I hate cheap cutoff wheels that are slow and explode so I only use Flexovit.

-Tim

Dazed_Driver
Banned
Elite Moderator

December 14, 2008 01:57PM
The flap discs are great, but they DONT like heat. Dont get em too hot or they blow up, haha. I learned this working autobody.... *rolls eyes* They're definently the best way to get a nice grind down on something

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

December 14, 2008 03:06PM
The refillable solvent spray cans are an excellent way to save money! Our shop was going through hundreds of cans of brake clean per month until we got the spray cans.

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
racerboy000
Eric Mckinnon
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Dodge Colt

December 14, 2008 07:31PM
Buy in bulk, watch for stuff on sale, I have stop buying the cheap grinding wheels and cut off wheels and only buy walter now little more expensive but they last twice as long. Rechargable cans for brake clean and pentrating fluid. Go to the industrial supply places for your supplies and set up a account
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login