Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Fast, Cheap, or Right - I'm going with cheap and right.

Posted by DR1665 
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

Fast, Cheap, or Right - I'm going with cheap and right.
January 04, 2009 07:28PM
Super limited budget, one of the slowest builds going, but as Confucius said, "It does not matter how slow you go, so long as yo do not stop."

I got a pair of 5" KC pencils for Christmas and, since I have more time than money, I'm going to see about getting some wiring done on the car. A smart layout, secure connections, and maybe even a little ground work for future in-cab electrical stuff like more lights, gauges, et al. This little project will get started with the age-old tradition of stripping the interior, which I've already begun.

Can't be too aggressive with removal in [195] because I'd like to hang on to rare spares for [464] (my other GVR4). Even so, it's moving in the right direction while I collect pennies and nickels in parking lots to fund the cage and seats, right? Right.

So I've got a schematic drawn up for my lighting. I'll see if I can't explain it in words versus try drawing it digitally...

Each pair of aux lights share a relay. 12VDC direct from the battery (or positive terminal in bay when battery resides in boot) through the relays. All aux lights will share a single ground lug in bay. Trigger side of relays tapped into factory high beam lead at/near headlight. Trigger grounds go back into cabin, through toggles, to a central ground lug welded to floor.

Does this sound right? If the toggles are on, activating the high beams triggers the 12VDC to the aux lights. If the toggles are off, it's just factory high beams, right?

Making the light bar removable isn't an issue at all, but I would be curious to know how I might set things up to run maybe the fogs with the low beams or maybe even just the parking lights. Would that be as simple as running a second trigger lead from, say, the parking lights to the fog relay, sharing the same toggle/ground in the cabin?

I'm thinking that, if the fog switch was on, turning the parking lights on would automatically activate the fogs. This doesn't work with the 1-switch rule. Any suggestions?

Finally, what size wire would you gents suggest for all this? Building a relay box in the bay somewhere, perhaps? And what about moving the battery. How does this play into everything? Thanks as usual.

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

Re: Fast, Cheap, or Right - I'm going with cheap and right.
January 04, 2009 07:56PM
What sanctioning body are you building this for? RA doesnt require the one switch rule any more, you dont even need to bring your lights to scrutineering.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

January 04, 2009 09:43PM
I'm looking to stick to NASA/USRC. Thanks, Carl.

david amor
david amor
Professional Moderator

January 04, 2009 11:53PM
I have 6 auxillary lights on 3 switches. (2 fogs) None can be activated without turning on the high beams but if I only want fogs on I turn that switch on and turn the high beams on. I think this is the only legal way. If you ever plan to run in Canada I'd do it that way. They check closely at scrutineering.

Gone fishing
Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

January 05, 2009 08:44AM
i've got 4 lights in the pod. 2 switches 2 relays.

they come on with the high-beams....sometimes...most times.

I've got an on-off-on switch where i can override this if somehow something screws off, and for testing/aiming purposes (it's nice to just have 1 set of lights on at a time).

i don't really like having them switched with the high-beam level, as i've personally had all the lights turn off after coming down off a jump, or mid corner where i either accidentally hit the headlight stalk with my hand, or it gets bounced off.

Chris
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

January 05, 2009 10:02AM
david amor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have 6 auxillary lights on 3 switches. (2 fogs)
> None can be activated without turning on the high
> beams but if I only want fogs on I turn that
> switch on and turn the high beams on. I think this
> is the only legal way. If you ever plan to run in
> Canada I'd do it that way. They check closely at
> scrutineering.

I'd love to run up in Canada one day, but that's far enough down the road that I'm not going to worry about it now. My concern for running fogs independently is not really for fog, but the hanging dust we can get out here in the SW after the sun goes down and the wind drops off. Running fogs with high beams seems counter-intuitive, but I guess I could deal.

Appreciate the input. Figure I'll run this all with 14AWG primary. Sound about right? And where do you guys fuse the lights? At a relay box near the battery? In-line?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login