Posted by Gravity Fed 
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

Supra Diff fur das Merkur
July 06, 2011 10:45PM
So after much abuse as my "get around" car. I think i would like to start accumlating parts to overhaul the merkur and make it more enjoyable. For starters, the supra diff conversion heavily interests me. I haven't found to much information on it (like pictures of it installed) or cost for that matter. Search mostly yielding good opinions of it. At the same time i want to improve the brakes. Ditch the rear drums and improve the fronts. Only restriction is fitment of 15" wheels (obviously).

Im deploying in October, so i would like to start buying everything then, but for the "junkyard" parts i could search now. I'll even have money to finally buy some JVAB suspension too. (finally).
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Supra Diff fur das Merkur
July 06, 2011 11:44PM
Alex, i just make the parts and pack 'em and send them. I ALWAYS say to guys, "Doooooooood like send me some piccies of the install and of your kisser so we know what the fawk youse looks like" cause its more funner-er knowing who the hell we'ze talking wif..

And sheeeeeut hardly ever get piccies..

The kit is cool, cost $300 for everything but the driveshaft junk cause everybody has something different going on for the propshaft.

There's a 'rear half" of the last u-joint dealie, the part that bolts up to the diff flange, and thats about 78 bucks and depending on kardan shaft aka propshaft aka driveshaft ID, there are weld yokes into the tube for like 18 bucks.

I haz I don't know how many diffs of various sorts now but 6-7.

As for REAR brakes, I have some parts cut out for something rightfully soooper bitchin enough to called Sooper Bitchin but before i do a run I gotta save a little dough.

( I made some front and rear hats for 240 Volvos and brackets and that is tying up a lotta dough, plus I'm doing a run of 10 steel flywheels again for Volvos, and that's more dough tied up)

But the spec is nailed down: .810 thick by 11" and a Willwood NDL caliper w 4 x 1.25 pistons with 100mm long pad.

So the rest is old hat, what's next?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

July 06, 2011 11:50PM
i suppose next is sending money when im a few thousands miles away.

also, anything interesting for the weird bushing front suspension?
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

July 07, 2011 10:12AM
What do you have in the pipeline for Soooper Bitchin' rear brakes? I know we discussed it on the phone last month, so I'm curious to know how it's progressing.

I need something that will allow me to put the alpha or beta test JVAB rears on my street XR4.

Approximate cost? Need to know so I can figure out how many ATMs I have to empty... smiling smiley
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 07, 2011 12:02PM
Hey Alex.
First, get in touch with Sean Medcroft ASAP and get in on the tubular front control arm kit he's making. Plan on around $350-400 for the pair. But last pair you'll ever need and allows adjustment of caster and camber properly and has a Honda Accord $10ish replaceable ball joint so you don't have to buy new arms if you have a failure.
Front brakes. JVAB kit is the only thing to consider.
Rear brakes. The drums are garbage! I went with TCE in Mesa, AZ for mine but same spec as what John is planning so if you've got time hopefully they'll be done soon.
Supra diff. Yeah. Start keeping an eye out in junkyard for the correct diff. Late 80s Supra with the 6 bolt and probably like 200mm PCD for attaching the halfshaft. If you get lucky you'll find one with the LSD and 4.3 final drive. All three I've snagged had those so maybe it's more common and less luck needed? Don't be afraid to get some dirt and grease from somewhere (halfshaft?) and rub it over the LSD sticker on the diff. I know that saved me some dough as they charge more at some yards if they see it's a cool diff.
You'll also want the rear beam reinforcement kit from Steel Solutions.
JVAB shocks for sure.
And that's not a bad way to drop five g's. smiling smiley
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

July 07, 2011 12:43PM
I am currently in production of a front arm kit as Grant said.Control arm, compression strut and bracket, all associated heim joints and spacers for around $500. Uses a replaceable ball joint, eliminates the sway bar, and thus eliminates bind in the front suspension, and increases compliance and grip. 4130x.120 wall tube, huge joints, adjustable for camber and caster.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 07, 2011 01:05PM
I have done events with stock arms and with adjustable. The handling of the car was absolutely amazing once I was able to dial out some camber. Shocks, brakes, and arms should be a first priority for any Merkur!
Like Possum Bourne said about the move to Group N from a Group A car. It wasn't necessarily the power that made the Group A car so much faster, but the ability to dial in and adjust suspension settings.
One day we'll figure out something really good for the rear.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

July 07, 2011 02:34PM
I'm on it Grant. I have a full tubular rear arm assy im my head. Full adjustments, camber/toe. That is my next big project once the new shell is ready.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 07, 2011 02:43PM
I liked the idea of something like this:

They used the same upright as they used in front just with a different lower bracket on those. My thought had been to use a Subaru STI rear upright with a custom stub shaft to bolt the halfshaft to.
Where it really gets fun is to think about what the geometry does as the wheel travels up and down if you change the angles and lengths of the three arms. That's the kinda optimization and changes that would be fun to perform. Testing and design instead of just replication.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 07, 2011 02:49PM
Pictures?

JVAB brakes and struts!

TCE rears and JVAB shock!

Choose your caption:
a) How big??? THIS BIG!!!
b) The hidden benefit of a 4X108 bolt pattern...

And how bout a little in-car...

BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

July 07, 2011 03:26PM
Is the co driver... reading a dinner plate? grinning smiley

Edit- If isnt Is

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2011 05:06PM by BobOfTheFuture.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

July 07, 2011 04:17PM
BobOfTheFuture
If the co driver... reading a dinner plate? grinning smiley

Where's that toothless smiley when you need it?
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 07, 2011 04:25PM
Yep. We drove to the event and the pits and camping area is at top. We were like, well, we may as well write the notes on our drive up. The only paper we had was plates. Had wanted to do a circle plate where he had to rotate it around to read the notes but didn't have time due to the busted windshield. That's right, there's no windshield. It was awesome. I like how Mark steers the plate too.

Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

July 07, 2011 04:31PM
Well sounds like I've got some good directions to head in then. I'll also start looking for the supra diff. There is guy locally with some parts cars. I'll hit him up. Come October ill start the buying process.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 07, 2011 04:32PM
I've always wished the pictures of Mark doing the dives and ninja rolls over the bonfire turned out. That was an epic event.
Everyone, well, all the guys anyhow, all grew moustaches for that event. Those that grew beards had moustaches by the first night courtesy of Erika. Huge bonfire and tons of booze. Dave spent the whole weekend chasing some electrical problem in the Evo. We had to drive the 100 miles back to Denver with no windscreen or goggles. One point I was going around 100 trying to beat a thunderstorm. We did.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login