Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Questions about rally cars?

Posted by Jordan Hanley 
Jordan Hanley
Godlike Moderator
Location: Woodford Halse(inbetween Banbury and Daventry in England)

Re: Questions about rally cars?
June 06, 2012 04:59AM
Would I need different bikes for enduro and motorcross?
If so whats the differance?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

June 07, 2012 08:18AM
I somehow got confused in this thread. So you live just up the road 10 miles from Banbury and though you wanted to rally. Fine. But then, I see you wanting motorsport jobs, wanting to do motorcross and enduro, having a rich uncle with a big company etc... Do you really know what you want yet? You going to Uni?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 07, 2012 09:57AM
Cosworth
I somehow got confused in this thread. So you live just up the road 10 miles from Banbury and though you wanted to rally. Fine. But then, I see you wanting motorsport jobs, wanting to do motorcross and enduro, having a rich uncle with a big company etc... Do you really know what you want yet? You going to Uni?

I suggested that since CAR type motorsport is so insanely expensive there in Pommieland, that one thing he could do to begin learning an array of personal skills and discipline is think about bikes in moto-cross and/or enduro, rather than hoping his uncle will slap his forehead and say "Ach! Ja! why didn't I zink of that? Naturlische I vill giff meine leibte neff-you what he vants because every good boy deserves to drive a new Evobitchi 9!!! How could a beginner NOT need an Evo9?'"

Try and keep up Pauliho.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

June 07, 2012 11:37AM
John, zeee motorcycle racing is crazy expenssive zese days. Starting in that wont be much of a benefit in that aspect anymore. He can buy a Pug 205 or a Saxo for 600 quid, spend another 600-1000 at Tweeks or Co-ordsport and hit the rallycross tracks. Would take "looaaads" more just to get a bike with at least 100 hours.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 07, 2012 01:28PM
Cosworth
John, zeee motorcycle racing is crazy expenssive zese days. Starting in that wont be much of a benefit in that aspect anymore. He can buy a Pug 205 or a Saxo for 600 quid, spend another 600-1000 at Tweeks or Co-ordsport and hit the rallycross tracks. Would take "looaaads" more just to get a bike with at least 100 hours.

Running costs are far lower. Bikes come with nice RELIABLE 5-6 speed dog boxes, 5-6 plate clutches, no differentials, kick ass brakes, kick ass suspension only the few WRC cars begin to approach (what we all had 35 years ago), 1 piston to buy occasionally since they were drawn from a clean sheet of paper to be long lasting competition vehicles...

Even a 15 year old bike---if in decent shape---is only infintisimal detail improvements over a current bike, and a first time rider doesn't need a new bike, just like a guy with zero to 5 events doesn't need an Evo with thousands of dollars just to control the center diff..

Riding and working on a single cylinder--preferably 2 stroke bike will let a person experience and KNOW what "GOOD" is in a way that driving a warmed over Pug 205 street car with stickers won't.

Of course the same simple minded consumer/materialism that devestated the whole Western world operates on bike, too..but with bikes you still have to ride them---and its even more painfully obvious on a bike--even a 10-15 year old one----if you know what you're doing, or not..

Sure bikes need parts, but less of them and less to no MODDED parts.
Pads, chains, tires being the biggest recurring expense.
Sure bikes drink fuel, but a fraction of the fuel of a car.
Yep the diesel Transit drinks diesel to get to an event---but TONS less hauling a bike than towing a trailer (expense) and car..

And with bike and a Transit 3 guys can split the costs to an event widening the range and venues a guy can consider doing---Wales isn't that far with 3 splitting.. We'd do that in an old SWB Transit years ago, it can be done.....but there's no alternates really with a car..

The concepts learned riding are directly transferrable to cars as well...

And the cost of the inevitable fawk ups anybody learning a craft inevitably does, well there you pick up the bike, clack the throttle to make sure it closes (that you didn't tear the rubber grips and pack the throttle wif muck), kick it, snick it down and wheelie away---as opposed to spend a fortune beating panels and painting the thing if you're lucky...

No comparison, not realistically.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Jordan Hanley
Godlike Moderator
Location: Woodford Halse(inbetween Banbury and Daventry in England)

June 07, 2012 02:34PM
Cosworth

Sorry for confusing you I will explain what I want to do.
I wanted to do rally orginally but then john mentioned enduro and motorcross. Yes I know the rally option would be cheaper but doing the motorcross option would be a lot more simple for me. There is a lot of motorcross tracks that I know that are close to me I dont know where there is a rally club or track that is within 10 miles where I live. The motorcross bike would be a lot more easier to maintain and repair and transport.

In september im going to do a motorsport engineering course and during that I was told to find work exprience for at least one day a week.

And about the uncle thing. What I was trying to say if I did rally and became good many years later on would it be ok to ask my uncle for a sponsorship. What I mean by this is would the sponsorship be beneficial to my uncles company.

I wasnt exspecting to ask my uncle for cash and get loads from him. Im not like that I dont expect life to be easy.

Yes I would love the chance to be a good rally driver so Im going to try. My back up is plan is to be a mechanic for motorsport which is why I was on about motorsport companys earlier on and also Iwas on about work exprience and its also the reason im going to a motorsport college.

Sorry that I wasnt clear.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 07, 2012 06:06PM
Oh you were clear enough, if somebody was following the line of reasoning.

OK motocross bike vs enduro

Briefly it this: 5th and 6th gear ratios are usually wider spaced for some more top speed or fuel economy on "transits" or "liason sections" between the fun bits.
Endurobikes have lighting coils for the headlight and tail lights

Typically they'll have some means for a mile counter, an 'impulse sender" and maybe an odometer---no need for a speedo.

They'll be sprung and damped a bit more compliant, and maybe a wee bit less travel than the typical 300mm or so on a MX bike---that is a good thing for a hobbyist MX guy, helps you feel and see the effects of weight shift from moving your body and from pulling on the front brakes<-----that front brake is the hardest and at the same time the bar none most important thing to master "front for slowing, rear for steer".
They probably have a bit heavier flywheel to help with hook up in slimey conditions, again, not a bad thing even in cross---I know i added weight to my bikes even when I was professional and later when back in the woods, used the cranksft from and older 354cc boke, same size flywheel discs as the 400 but with less stroke. That was done by having the big end closer to the center leaving maybe 4mm more steel round the outside effectively.
More swung mass, less brutal delivery....with a cleanly jetted carb I could croak it down in 3rd gear to about 6 mph and roll it on and hit just short of 50mph in one gear (of course that wasn't the fastest way but it did show how flexible and wide the powerband was..

Here's a bike which they seem to have never made a misstep with over 25 years:

Notice the headlight, and the hand guards. That's an enduro bike.

Here's a side view of a fw things to show the HUGE differences that you just can't like without:
KDX200 from 2006

This is an ancient 1998 KX250:

10 years earlier still, 89:

Here's nearly 20 years newer , cooler frame, whoopie:

Did you stumble across this forum?
http://forums.mxtrax.co.uk/tags.php?tag=enduro

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login