Posted by NoCoast 
Morison
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

Re: Budget Rally Computer/Dash Display?
July 19, 2012 04:42AM

And I LIKED the dial in focus and the unimportant thing--some ol iron block---gently blurred with a short depth of field. That draws the eye to the dial. The dial with the nice clear sweep.
Ya. That line of thinking worked for me in the Jr. High Yearbook... Once... Maybe... I think... Not sure now, I might have just been laughed at... That was a while back.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
HiTempguy
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

July 19, 2012 01:34PM
phlat65
John, you trust the fate of your engine to the co-driver?

I know if I'm co-driving for someone, if I am to trust MY fate with them their damn eyes better be on the road at ALL times. Where/when it would ever occur (or a driver had time) to look at the cluster is unknown to me. I guess (not pointing at anyone in this thread) if I averaged 35mph on a stage it'd be possible...

*mumble mumble damn drivers mumble mumble*
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 19, 2012 02:45PM
HiTempguy
phlat65
John, you trust the fate of your engine to the co-driver?

I know if I'm co-driving for someone, if I am to trust MY fate with them their damn eyes better be on the road at ALL times. Where/when it would ever occur (or a driver had time) to look at the cluster is unknown to me. I guess (not pointing at anyone in this thread) if I averaged 35mph on a stage it'd be possible...

*mumble mumble damn drivers mumble mumble*

That's my point. ALL of us are all amateur boneheads (wait! We're amateur drivers, so that means we're professional bone-heads? Whaddever!!), you make the thing strong and safe at assembly time and test the car prior to stages, and on SS you vacate the brain and think no further than THE NEXT CORNER, then THE NEXT CORNER, then....forever on the SS.

On the transits you worry about whatever, on SS you don't think at all. Eye-to-foot and eye to hands, and butt to hands..

What Finn said the secret to being a good WRC driver is "an empty head and a big foot."?

Thinking---and worry is thinking---does not enter into the equation.
Think on your own time---in the garage.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 19, 2012 04:33PM
john vanlandingham
What Finn said the secret to being a good WRC driver is "an empty head and a big foot."?

I've always thought that about people that worry too much about shit like roll centers and adjustable dampers and perfecting alignment settings. Most drivers aren't even consistent enough nor have access to a decent test road to determine if changes they "think" are better are actually better. I think it's more to give an excuse for why they were slow or maybe leads to them being slower because they were worried that everything wasn't perfect.

Grant Hughes
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

July 19, 2012 04:55PM
BillyElliot
What about those AIM kits as well? I was looking at doing a bunch of gauges and then when the total comes up to a few hundred bucks, I thought the same, and might as well just get a decent replacement display.
Ding ding ding... The price for the used unit I got was less than the 4 or 5 gauges I was thinking of getting. Plus it took ONE wire from the Honda ECU to the AIM display to get all the data I could care for. I get all the info needed on one small display, nice and simple with a neat and clean install on the column. No need to have all sorts of gauges and wires littering the interior. Although its not raggidy enough for rally anarchy standards!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 19, 2012 05:19PM
NoCoast
john vanlandingham

I've always thought that about people that worry too much about shit like roll centers and adjustable dampers and perfecting alignment settings. Most drivers aren't even consistent enough nor have access to a decent test road to determine if changes they "think" are better are actually better. I think it's more to give an excuse for why they were slow or maybe leads to them being slower because they were worried that everything wasn't perfect.

Yep.
When I would do a stage the second time--on the same tires----and typically be 20-40 seconds quicker the second time, that tells you something...And the guys I would be fighting with were typically 5-20 seconds faster the second time..

But you can't discuss the person, much better to discuss things that you can spend a lot on that the boys will say "ooooooo" and "aaaaahhhh" about.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
John Reed
John Reed
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

July 20, 2012 10:02PM
Couple thoughts (and this is for guys running a decent engine management system):

If you want a display, the AIM Strada is probably one of the easiest to integrate with most systems, and you can share all the sensors making it a savings and much cleaner install versus individual gauges (not to mention shift/warning lights that can all be programmed to alert the driver).

I do like the display of the Racepak IQ3 a lot, but integrating with them usually requires some sort of special Racepak adapters that cost extra. The AIM just uses simple, standard CAN or serial connection.

One thing I have done in the past for some cars on a budget is use the AIM displays used for go-karts. They are smaller, cheaper and still provide quite a bit of data.

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login