Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

So John, what's the warranty period like on your suspenders?

Posted by Ian S 
Ian S
Ian Seppanen
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Nissan 240SX

So John, what's the warranty period like on your suspenders?
August 28, 2012 12:14AM
Cause I done broke one already lol

We had a little uh oh at Ojibwe last weekend.

The lug nuts are still tight in this pictures lol.

Every control arm broke, along with the axle and brake hose. When the axle broke it swung around and beat the crap out of the bottom of the damper.

The spring and top mount are fine. Whats the prescription doctor? I hope to pull it Wednesday, so I can clean it off and asses the situation better.

This is actually the second time this has happened (axle fighting damper), and I am thinking its time to build a guard.

I Seppanen, Car #240
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: So John, what's the warranty period like on your suspenders?
August 28, 2012 02:41AM
Yeaow! Saw the SS1 Duh Nuff, wondered what was up..Shit the bed mang, we gotta invent something strong for that thing..I hear Martin W broke a couple of the uppers..

Dismount them, pull the springs and try and stroke then and report back. bent shaft is no major catastrophe.

I wonder if some older simple crap that's easier to make beef-u-lar-er might be something to think about, ya know like some non-multi link Z car trailing arms set up..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Ian S
Ian Seppanen
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Nissan 240SX

August 28, 2012 09:48AM
john vanlandingham
Yeaow! Saw the SS1 Duh Nuff, wondered what was up..Shit the bed mang, we gotta invent something strong for that thing..I hear Martin W broke a couple of the uppers..

Dismount them, pull the springs and try and stroke then and report back. bent shaft is no major catastrophe.

I wonder if some older simple crap that's easier to make beef-u-lar-er might be something to think about, ya know like some non-multi link Z car trailing arms set up..

Will do. The bottom of the tube is caved in though, so she may have dumped all her fluid out.

I actually wouldn't change anything as far as links. This was a very hard hit, in a bad place. I broke every control arm, but as far as I can tell, the subframe is fine. All I have to do is swap arms, and I should be golden. Had this been a 2 day event, we would have run the second day.

We actually went off on stage 2. I have no idea why they didn't post our SS1 times. We were 5 hundreths off the Huebbe's

I Seppanen, Car #240
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 28, 2012 10:52AM
You gotta get it so they bend not break...
Bend MIGHT fool you into keep on driving and you MIGHT loop out or something and MIGHT bend something.

The fact they all broke means they had to all be thinking about breaking--approaching failure wif-out you knowin'----for some time, means any one could break without real warning.
Gotta strengthen them some to avail OUTRIGHT separation..

You had a good pinch of Finnish Dumb Luck, emphasis where ya want, next time maybe not so lucky.

Dun't hargue wif me on this one or I'll smack you upside the haid..

And no SS! time, That's an outrage!!!! Why wouldn't they give you your time?

(eeeerie music ) Conspiracy?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Dante
Allan Dantes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Mazda LSRX-7

August 28, 2012 09:53PM
I can see your stage time. Gotta be gricky with the clicky. Plus mine is 1 min different then what my codriver told me. Now don't I feel like a jerk!

Hint: Don't look in the Results. Click Stages, go to stage 1.

Owner, Driver, Head Mechanic, and Janitor at Tower City Race Team, headquartered near L'Anse. Michigan.
Driver / CoDriver in Rally America, NASARallySport, ARA, AMS, UPMDA, Champ Off Road

https://www.facebook.com/TowerCityRaceTeam/
https://www.instagram.com/towercityraceteam/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2012 09:55PM by Dante.
Ian S
Ian Seppanen
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Nissan 240SX

August 28, 2012 11:25PM
john vanlandingham
You gotta get it so they bend not break...
Bend MIGHT fool you into keep on driving and you MIGHT loop out or something and MIGHT bend something.

The fact they all broke means they had to all be thinking about breaking--approaching failure wif-out you knowin'----for some time, means any one could break without real warning.
Gotta strengthen them some to avail OUTRIGHT separation..

You had a good pinch of Finnish Dumb Luck, emphasis where ya want, next time maybe not so lucky.

Dun't hargue wif me on this one or I'll smack you upside the haid..

And no SS! time, That's an outrage!!!! Why wouldn't they give you your time?

(eeeerie music ) Conspiracy?

I have thought about ways to make them bend and not break. Aluminum maybe?

And as for continueing to drive, we did. For the better part of 6 miles. I didn't even stop after the wreck. Just jumped back on stage and pressed on. The steering wheel was crooked, the tire was rubbing, and the handling was a bit odd. It was all fine and dandy until I hit one of the jumps. The noises changed a little. Then a corner or two later it all went down hill. I believe that is where the axle exploded and started swinging around slamming into everything. This was followed by the wheel collapsing into the fender. The only thing that stopped me was the brakes. Once all the fluid was gone, I decided to park it. Once sweep passed, I drove the car off stage. We went and got the trailer. The car drove onto the trailer. It drove off when I got her home too.

If it had not been stage 2, and there had been a service following, instead of 4 more stages. I would have grabbed a hold of my balls, and pressed on. I just decided it wasn't worth it.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

I Seppanen, Car #240
Ian S
Ian Seppanen
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Nissan 240SX

August 30, 2012 10:38PM
Ok, John, got a look at the other side. No damage whatsoever. Just need the one. Will post pictures shortly.

Anyone have any bright ideas on some sort of axle loop that will keep the things from going willy nilly if I break another. Like I said, this is the second time. The first was just an axle failure, but the stupid thing beat the crap out of the damper that time too.

Or I could just stop hitting things. Hmmm, may have to work on that one.

I Seppanen, Car #240

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2012 10:41PM by Ian S.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 31, 2012 03:27PM
Ian S

With a last name like Seppanen, I think that's probably unlikely. smiling smiley
What about double skinning steel stuff? Or something along that line.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 31, 2012 06:59PM
NoCoast
Ian S

With a last name like Seppanen, I think that's probably unlikely. smiling smiley
What about double skinning steel stuff? Or something along that line.

Yeah basically boxing the open end and maybe a strap around the ends.

One problem with anything where rust is endemic is this; rust is on the surface, and the strength of iron oxide is different than steel and cracks can begin in the rusty surface and continue into the supposedly nice steel beneath.

I think I should find some nice shiny minty fresh West Coast parts, box them, strap the ends, paint them with etching primer, and Spapanen ought to double skin the mounting tabs...

Martin has had his share of link failures, so it's clear the multi-link shit is weak. Gotta do sumpin cause the potential in the car is there to go faster, and you go faster, you hit stuffs harder and its a cube function impact vs speed..
Ian I'll get the replacement boxed up.. Can't make UPS today cause I'm all drugged up and delirious (or delirious-er than normal) (whatever the fawk normal is)* (even if I just got in from picking up stuff at the plasma cut guy, I should not be driving...tee hee)

*Bonus points for photos of this exact moment in Cinema History

"Uh I dunno it said Abbey something or another, yeah Abbey Normal, that it!"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
heymagic
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

August 31, 2012 09:16PM

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 21, 2012 11:17AM
You should see some box arriving maybe today. You will be happy.
I hope.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
MRWmotorsports
Martin Walter
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Nissan 240SX

September 21, 2012 01:26PM
john vanlandingham
Martin has had his share of link failures, so it's clear the multi-link shit is weak. Gotta do sumpin cause the potential in the car is there to go faster, and you go faster, you hit stuffs harder and its a cube function impact vs speed..

I've had a few upper rear arms that have bent, as they should, where I was able to continue driving and get back to service and change them. I've only had breakages once, and that was when I put the car into a ditch of rocks HARD in Newfoundland... the result of that was a great big mess, where everyting broke: axle/CV, cast steel upright broke right in half, shock, lower control arm, upper control arm, toe link, traction link, all broke and the subframe itself was narrowwrd by 2 or 3 inches.. and that was just the rear... There's no avoiding stuff breaking when you hit it hard/fast enough.

Ian, I'll be making a new supply of rear upper arms soon, do you want me to make some for you while I'm at it?
BTW... "soon" means once I've got some enthusiasm back. With these new CARS rules I'm kind of low on that right now and un-motivated.

-Martin.
Ian S
Ian Seppanen
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Nissan 240SX

October 06, 2012 11:12PM
MRWmotorsports

Ian, I'll be making a new supply of rear upper arms soon, do you want me to make some for you while I'm at it?
BTW... "soon" means once I've got some enthusiasm back. With these new CARS rules I'm kind of low on that right now and un-motivated.

-Martin.

That would depend entirely on how much you would want for them. I keep putting off building new upper arms. I have the tools, and access to the materials. I may get around to it the week before LSPR depending on how smoothly the bodywork and paint go.

I Seppanen, Car #240
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login