shiza
Dan Norkus
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

Re: Oldie but a goodie... the Open Class WRX
October 05, 2012 01:10AM
HiTempguy
but Big White has to be done it is THAT good. You'll never race anywhere else that gets THAT much snow grinning smiley

I completely agree! It really is an awesome well run event with amazing stages! The Gem Lake stage is a favorite of mine.

Good to see you with a new car Adam! That cage looks great.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
HiTempguy
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

October 08, 2012 12:02PM
shiza

Good to see you with a new car Adam! That cage looks great.

At the test day grinning smiley Cage is definitely nice, ease of entry and exit. It's not grandfathered Tal[hoon] cage though... sad smiley

Work has been progressing steadily on the light situation, which besides an oil change, is all the car really needs.

Getting the wiring ready for the light pods. Luckily, the on car harness was already there for the pods.

So, starting with a ton of random wiring (preassembled H4 sockets only $3.50 each, 10 pack of weatherpack 3 prong connectors only $13)

Then, lengthening the power leads (only high beam 135w filament powered on each bulb). Since it's a ground, I simply spliced the grounds from each lamp (two per pod) together. Works out nicely, as the weatherpack connector has two wires ran as power (two lights per pod), one wire ran as ground:

I'm pretty proud of myself on this to tell ya the truth; even though I am an Instrumentation Technologist, my wiring always seems ugly no matter how hard I try (running wire in the field doesn't require pretty, it just needs to last and work)! I had a plan, stuck to it, and worked hard to make this as durable, functional, and PRETTY as possible on a tight budget. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out (and how simple everything will be, I'm a stickler for lights after having dealt with other teams crappy setups for the past 6 years):

Since I'll have the wiring figured out in advance, all we have to do in Merritt is drill holes in the pods for mounting on the hood and mounting the lamps themselves. Should be no more than an hours worth of work. Shawn Bishop is bringing the Dzus quick connect hardware with him.
racerboy000
Eric Mckinnon
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Dodge Colt

October 09, 2012 03:13AM
Hi adam
If you are looking for a place to store the car between baie and defi I live 1.5 hrs from st agate.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 09, 2012 09:10AM
racerboy000
Hi adam
If you are looking for a place to store the car between baie and defi I live 1.5 hrs from st agate.

Eric boy racer, what's your name? Why do you want to play games with one easy rule/

Edit: Thank you.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 05:58PM by john vanlandingham.
HiTempguy
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

October 09, 2012 01:54PM
racerboy000
Hi adam

That would be amazing, we should definitely talk. Are you going to be at the CARS AGM? I don't think I'll be able to make it to Tall Pines even just to spectate. But I would absolutely take you up on that offer! I'll send you an email with some details of my schedule planning for 2013 and we can go from there grinning smiley
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

October 10, 2012 10:27PM
Remember, the ground carries just as much current as the B+, so running 2 135w lamps through one 16ga connector and wire is asking a bit much. The connectors I like to use for lamps can be found at the junk yard. Honda puts 2 of these really large 2 pin connectors under the hood, they have 10ga wire, and the spades are twice the size of normal stuff to handle the current. ABS equiped cars even have an orange shelled version.

On another note, I purchased 2 Piaa XT80's, and they are seriously good, like overpower everyother lamp on the car.
HiTempguy
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

October 11, 2012 09:40PM
phlat65
Remember, the ground carries just as much current as the B+

Yep! What I should have added is the weatherpack connector on the car already is ran through 10-12gauge wire. Not "ideal" (normally 50w HID x 2), but that gauge should be able to handle ~20amps.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

October 11, 2012 11:50PM
135w bulb @ 12v draws 11.25A, times 2 on the ground side is 20.5 Amps through one failure point. It probably draws 16A for the first second or 2. Now if the connector starts to overheat, and a voltage drop occurs, at 10v each bulb will consume 13.5 amps.

Much better to over engineer that component.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 12, 2012 12:22AM
phlat65
135w bulb @ 12v draws 11.25A, times 2 on the ground side is 20.5 Amps through one failure point. It probably draws 16A for the first second or 2. Now if the connector starts to overheat, and a voltage drop occurs, at 10v each bulb will consume 13.5 amps.

And don't forget that the lifespan of a halogen bulb drops drastically as voltage goes under 12.5v

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
HiTempguy
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

October 12, 2012 10:02AM
phlat65

As I said, I am well aware winking smiley Unfortunately, sometimes you just have to make due with what you have. I'm not happy about it, but HID's will be installed there before the next event that needs lights. Until then, cross your fingers that it works out ok for me!

First day of recce complete @ PFR, pods installed last night. Have to buy a rivet gun this morning to install the lamps in the pods themselves, our service crew will do that while we are out recce'ing the final 3 stages.
HiTempguy
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

October 15, 2012 11:57PM

sad smiley Long story coming when I feel like typing it up. Not a happy camper at the moment. Good news is that besides for some slight tweekage in the suspension and no forward drive (exploded clutch is currently in the lead for whats wrong), the car is fine.
HiTempguy
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

November 30, 2012 11:36PM

No longer have I taken over the Grabby Villa (aka Jeff's place) for I now have a lair of evil all to mine own!

Clutch goes in tomorrow. Unforunately, the Exedy I bought did not make it in time, so in goes a ridiculous (but cheap) 4 puck ACT that Hardy had lying around (was used once in the blue open class car that lit on fire before this black monstrosity was built).

In other news, BigWhite entry is in, studded winters get mounted this weekend. I've always wanted to yell STUDDED IS FASTER! at BigWhite, maybe I'll get the chance to this year? smileys with beer Hotel is booked, truck is ready, my body is willing, what could possibly go wrong?! Besides, ya know, everything, amirite?

Car still needs an alignment due to tweekage, I'm thinking garage alignment and call it a friekin' day. Also, to get the clutch broken in, I have to drive it to work the next couple of days. The horror cool smiley
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 01, 2012 10:41AM
Do you guys have any snow up there?

Grant Hughes
HiTempguy
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

December 02, 2012 10:26AM
NoCoast
Do you guys have any snow up there?

Alberta is covered, it's been snowing lightly in Edmonton the past couple of days, icy roads and drivers trying to kill me.

BigWhite on the otherhand, has enough snow on the unplowed roads to stop 4x4 pickups in their paths grinning smiley

And finally, this is why friends don't let friends run unsprung hubs in their cars...

The input shaft on the transmission looks ok. Nothing I could do but put the new clutch on and pray at this point, if the splines on the input shaft are fucked, I'm fucked, and I won't be racing for a while if I have to replace a $3k STi transmission...
Bdacres
Brent Dacres
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
90 Eagle Talon AWD

December 03, 2012 07:17PM
Good luck. Am so wishing had half that snow down here in SW. Ohio. Of course not knocking the 70 degrees we had today, but still want snow...and lots of it this winter.

Brent Dacres
Cincinnati,Oh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login