HiTempguy
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

Re: Clutch for the STi
November 08, 2012 11:30AM
john vanlandingham
Kiddo, how'd you know there's increased clamp?
Gotta read all the ad copy and propaganda really carefully. Many places just paint stock covers yellow or red or whatever.

ACT and Exedy are major clutch manufacturers. The pressure plates they offer with the kits I listed specifically state they have a "higher" clamping force in the 40% range from stock or compared to their lower end clutches. At some point, it becomes shit or get off the pot, if I have to start verifying that major manufacturers aren't lying about their clamping pressures, I'm quitting :p
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 08, 2012 03:28PM
HiTempguy
john vanlandingham
Kiddo, how'd you know there's increased clamp?
Gotta read all the ad copy and propaganda really carefully. Many places just paint stock covers yellow or red or whatever.

ACT and Exedy are major clutch manufacturers. The pressure plates they offer with the kits I listed specifically state they have a "higher" clamping force in the 40% range from stock or compared to their lower end clutches. At some point, it becomes shit or get off the pot, if I have to start verifying that major manufacturers aren't lying about their clamping pressures, I'm quitting :p

The devil is in the details Adam.
Like so many other subjects yeah you gotta pull the trigger we understand.
The thing I am saying---an 10,000 different ways---is know what you are making choices for and why.

Spec and Clutch Net are major manufacturers, too. But they don't change the spring. Do they say "this package has 40% more..." or THIS PRESSURE PLATE.
I use a company called Kennedy for many applications, the do some nice 200mm and 228mm pressure plate derived from Type 1 and Type 4 VW.
They rate all their pressure plates with an organic disc---same Velvet-Touch material everybody in USA uses, good shit.
When they say Stage 1 is good for x, its with the same disc as when they say Stage 4--so you know its a stiff spring..

Most places now, especially for the Tunerz Boy cars --Japanese--they push a "package"..

Just trying to help..By the way Clutch Net sprung hub discs have a cover over the springs so should they fail, the fragments do fly away and blow shit up.. Very nice feature..

There's one thing I don't understand though, maybe you can help me with it, see there all THIS discussion and you haven't even removed the box to look at the clutch yet. How do you know what's up.
Why haven't you ripped the box out Tuesday after the event?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Jay
Jay Woodward
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege

Jay
November 08, 2012 03:40PM
I run the sprung fulldisc HD ACT setup in both of my cars, and the street car is putting a fair bit of serious tq through it. Having been burned once, I stay the hell away from kevlar klutches. I'll go more overkill next install, just to have the thing last as long as possible, but the street clutch has lasted through 3 sets of tires so far...

Jay Woodward
Snohomish, WA
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege
Chronologically, 46...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 08, 2012 03:51PM
Jay
I run the sprung fulldisc HD ACT setup in both of my cars, and the street car is putting a fair bit of serious tq through it. Having been burned once, I stay the hell away from kevlar klutches. I'll go more overkill next install, just to have the thing last as long as possible, but the street clutch has lasted through 3 sets of tires so far...

yeah but that could mean 600 miles if you are having fun.tongue sticking out smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
HiTempguy
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

November 08, 2012 04:14PM
john vanlandingham
There's one thing I don't understand though, maybe you can help me with it, see there all THIS discussion and you haven't even removed the box to look at the clutch yet. How do you know what's up.
Why haven't you ripped the box out Tuesday after the event?

Time. Co-driver took his garage away from me, had to get my own. If I pull that tranny, I'm putting a new clutch in after it welded itself to the flywheel anyways. And if it is the tranny, the car will be sitting for a while. Or I'll sell it, because I'll have very little faith in any other work that's been done to the car. Whats next, a $5k motor randomly exploding at that point?

Trying to get all my ducks in a row before I tear in. I hate having a car sitting half apart. Drives me nuts.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 08, 2012 05:34PM
HiTempguy
Trying to get all my ducks in a row before I tear in. I hate having a car sitting half apart. Drives me nuts.

You get used to it after a few years...
Oh wait, no you don't.

Grant Hughes
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

November 08, 2012 05:59PM
The trick is to buy another car that is all together that you can enjoy while the other is in pieces. ...Until that one has to come apart. Repeat until you run out of space or wives.

Tim.
HiTempguy
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

November 08, 2012 06:01PM
TronDD
The trick is to buy another car that is all together that you can enjoy while the other is in pieces. ...Until that one has to come apart. Repeat until you run out of space or wives.

Tim.

I'm eyeing a caged rolling shell. It would be quite easy to stick the DD's drivetrain in and rally it smileys with beer
Pete
Pete Remner
Super Moderator

November 09, 2012 06:24AM
TronDD
The trick is to buy another car that is all together that you can enjoy while the other is in pieces.

That just makes you ignore the one in pieces, usually. At least, I've seen it happen enough times to believe that it's common.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

November 09, 2012 08:41AM
Oh absolutely. That's why I have so many projects... Luckily I have hit the "out of space" point.

Tim.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 09, 2012 09:47AM
TronDD
Oh absolutely. That's why I have so many projects... Luckily I have hit the "out of space" point.

That's when it's time to move to a bigger shop.
We were "out of space" so we moved. Now there are three BMWs sitting outside in various states of disregard... uh... I mean disrepair.

Grant Hughes
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

November 09, 2012 10:39AM
I'm just talking about my driveway. A shop at all would be amazing. I think I can justify renting a place because if I had a shop, I could work on my projects more efficiently, at night, and over the winter so I'd have all running cars and no projects just sitting. I certainly won't expand the number of projects to fill the shop space, no no.

Tim.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

November 14, 2012 07:31PM
NoCoast
TronDD

That's when it's time to move to a bigger shop.
We were "out of space" so we moved. Now there are three BMWs sitting outside in various states of disregard... uh... I mean disrepair.

What? I thought you were going to cage 3 of them by Christmas?

On the clutch question - I've never been a fan of ACTs, but that stems from driving a buddies GVR-4 with an ACT 2600 in it. Sucked...lightswitch, and heavy action on the pedal with was a double suck if you were stuck in traffic.

On the Evo I started with an Exedy twin, and when I turned up the wick, I went to a triple. The cerametallic triple HD is holding 700 HPs. I also had a carbon triple for a bit, but they actually like getting heated up a bit first and I may have cooked it by using it at hillclimbs because I did not pre-heat it.

Dave
HiTempguy
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

November 15, 2012 06:34PM
DaveK

On the Evo I started with an Exedy twin, and when I turned up the wick, I went to a triple. The cerametallic triple HD is holding 700 HPs. I also had a carbon triple for a bit, but they actually like getting heated up a bit first and I may have cooked it by using it at hillclimbs because I did not pre-heat it.

Dave

I'll make sure to put that on my Christmas list tongue sticking out smiley Unfortunately, don't think a twin or triple is going to happen anytime soon winking smiley
DaveK
Dave Kern
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

November 15, 2012 07:11PM
HiTempguy
DaveK

Dave

I'll make sure to put that on my Christmas list tongue sticking out smiley Unfortunately, don't think a twin or triple is going to happen anytime soon winking smiley

Yeah, I hear that, those damn things ain't cheap at all. Isn't Exedy a contingency player for rally stuff...or is that just for superdupernationals?

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login