Posted by HiTempguy 
sidewaez
Blake Lind
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
orange AE86

Re: Clutch for the STi
November 15, 2012 10:02PM
The Exedy multidisc are always the easiest "race clutch" cars to pull in and out of the shop everyday.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
HiTempguy
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

December 02, 2012 10:35AM
So, just in case some of youse guys aren't following the build/race thread...

I would have never imagined someone would have put a unsprung clutch disc in a rally car, but there it is. Even worse, is that some shenanigans with where I placed my order (bought an Exedy 6 puck w/ HD pressure plate) didn't arrive. I was told 4 business days, as of Friday it was 7 and it was slated to arrive tomorrow morning which was no good.

So, I needed a clutch if I wanted to do BigWhite, and I needed a clutch that would last at least two events. Hardy had a spare kicking around (exact same as the pictured one), so I bit the bullet and installed it along with a lightweight flywheel.

I'm not happy about it, but I'll deal with it when the time comes. I now feel much more comfortable pulling the tranny myself, hardest part is getting it back on.

The input shaft splines seem ok on the tranny, hopefully it is a harder material than the hub and they simply got bashed one too many times...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 02, 2012 11:48AM
Adam I say this in the most friendly way possible. You should have pulled the trans months ago--and you would have seen this and not needed the system to work perfectly...

And yeah what the hell somebody using a non-sprung center? madness.

Did you check for slop with the "new" damn thing on the inputshaft?

I'm a saying youse asking for trouble.....same brand failed from what I's a' reading'.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
HiTempguy
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

December 02, 2012 12:30PM
john vanlandingham
Adam I say this in the most friendly way possible. You should have pulled the trans months ago--and you would have seen this and not needed the system to work perfectly...

And yeah what the hell somebody using a non-sprung center? madness.

Did you check for slop with the "new" damn thing on the inputshaft?

I'm a saying youse asking for trouble.....same brand failed from what I's a' reading'.

I don't disagree with your sentiments John, but unfortunately, time and money hasn't been on my side as of late. Had a large amount of money outstanding from a fellow rallyist for parts. Been working on other projects besides rally, which are thanfully over.

The slop is minimal, seems no different than any other clutch I've ever installed. My eye says that besides bit of a scuffing from when the disc was spinning on the shaft, the splines on the input shaft are fine. I'm hoping to not use the clutch for long, I'll be putting the exedy in sometime in the new year. Probably after Perce Neige, as the national championship has a huge gap in it now until Baie...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login