danster
Haggis Muncher
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

Re: Caster or Camber?
January 06, 2013 01:30PM
john vanlandingham
Those single venues things mostly at airfields like doun souf?

What sorta box you been using?

Ever see any other Weeee Dubs in Clubbie guys hands?

There are a quite a few single venue type events around Scotland. Some are held at old airfields which can be pretty much gravel all over now as the tamac has degenerated badly since they wer built during WW2.

I have built many 020 boxes over the years. The usual procedure is to grab a 4.25 FD then use the GTI close ratio gearset. Works ok and the lower FD and installing an lsd of some sort does reduce the issues due to diff pin, rivet, or gear failure.
We have a later generation of the 020 gearbox over here now that is called the 02K gearbox which offers a 4.4 FD and simialr gear ratios.
Still shit really and I have had watches with stronger internals. thumbs down

The later 02A and 02J gearboxes are stronger and offer similar gear ratios, but then they have crappy cable shifters, dodgy shifter towers, and the selectors in the box need work too. Not great either but plan to build one regardless with the Kaaz plate diff purely becasue it is less likely to grenade itself.

There are a few VWs out there in clubman hands but not many. There was a rally series a while back that used the later Polos and a few of them now turn up driven by privateers.

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Caster or Camber?
January 06, 2013 01:37PM
You looked at Gripper diffs? Look arf-fully nice to me and heard to many first hand tales of woe and intrigue with Kazz over here anyway..

Ya gotta tell me about your moto-cross misadventures too.
That was my "Guiding light" and "10 year Plan" back when i was just a little bugger about---well same height as I am now, but that's another story..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login