Advanced

Group 2 Honduh?

Posted by b00sted 
b00sted
David Barrett
Senior Moderator

Group 2 Honduh?
December 21, 2012 07:45PM
Anyone want to sell one within the next 6 months or so? I'm looking to get into all of this stuff soon, I figured I'd buy instead of building...Just so I can get out there and race sooner than later.

But, let's say I can't find one for sale that I like and decide to build one...What are some Honda-specific tips or pointers you guys would recommend? I'm going with Honda because I want FWD, and I know Hondas better than I know any other fwd cars(I originally started in drag racing and grew up around Mustangs and F-bodies).

Ideal Motor/Trans, Suspension(does JVAB do Honda stuff?), etc.

Thanks
Please Login or Register to post a reply
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

Re: Group 2 Honduh?
December 21, 2012 08:29PM
There is one on Denver CL right now! Check the for sale section.
b00sted
David Barrett
Senior Moderator

December 21, 2012 08:43PM
Looks like a good deal. There's no way I can make it out there any time soon, but I'll keep his info in the off-chance he still has it this spring.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

December 21, 2012 09:20PM
There are people in Denver that could probably store it for you. If you are looking now, as you stated, don't let this one get away. That is a steal for a ready car.
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

December 23, 2012 12:19AM
Bummer you're looking now. Evan Moen just sold his supercharged Integra Type R for dirt cheap. He was asking $12,500 last I saw his ad.

But before anyone starts discussing ideal motor/trans/etc... what's your budget? It can range from B18b with a 4.9 final drive all the way up to a 300hp K24 motor with a 6 speed dogbox. As far as a chassis, 96-00 civic is new enough that you can find good shells with minimal to no rust for cheap. 92-95 are slightly lighter. You can go into later year Civics, but if you're going that far you might as well buy a 2012 Civic body in white direct from Honda for $3500.
b00sted
David Barrett
Senior Moderator

December 23, 2012 01:06PM
I don't really have a set budget, but for the first car I don't intend on getting too crazy.

I want to do an EG or EK body(92-00 like you said). Either B or K series, depending on what I can find. I think I'll go the K route, just because they seem to have a tougher bottom end and they make nice power/torque...It looks like they respond well to basic bolt-ons as well.

For a trans, I'm not sure. Nice diff, nice clutch, maybe a final gear swap...Not looking to go to an aftermarket gearset right off the bat...Maybe down the road.

I want a drivetrain that is reliable(as reliable as it can be) and can be competitive eventually.
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

December 27, 2012 10:26AM
Don't do a K-series on a 92-00 chassis. The motor sits 2 inches lower (which means the oil pan does too) to clear the hood. Unless you want to go chasing custom engine mounts and a goofy raised hood and engine. K-series will also cost you twice a B-series motor and you need custom axles for several hundred bucks instead of getting some off the shelf NAPA axles for $100 a piece. Also, for rally you just need a stock motor. Since you don't have a set budget and want to keep it cheap, go for a B18b motor (few hundred bucks), get a B16 trans (another few hundred bucks) and put a 4.9 final drive with Kaaz or OS Giken LSD on the car.
krisdahl
Kris Dahl
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Integra, Civic

December 27, 2012 01:34PM
Honda sells body in white cars?
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

December 27, 2012 08:09PM
There might be a top spec Honda EG6 for sale soon - 307hp K series, 6spd super short ratio straight cut box, DMS dampers, 4 pot race calipers, floor pedal box, race dash display, full re-wire, etc. Well built and Probably the fastest Gr2 car in the country. TONS of spares.

krisdahl
Kris Dahl
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Integra, Civic

December 31, 2012 06:51PM
Cosworth
There might be a top spec Honda EG6 for sale soon - 307hp K series, 6spd super short ratio straight cut box, DMS dampers, 4 pot race calipers, floor pedal box, race dash display, full re-wire, etc. Well built and Probably the fastest Gr2 car in the country. TONS of spares.

Is that yours? How is the sump clearance on the K-Series? Did you use the stock pan, or maybe swapped out the steel version?
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

January 01, 2013 05:55PM
krisdahl
Is that yours? How is the sump clearance on the K-Series? Did you use the stock pan, or maybe swapped out the steel version?
Its the alloy pan, its better than the steel one because it braces to the bottom of the g/box. Clearance is fine, it does sit slightly lower but still more than enough clearance. Weight is slight less than a B18/20 so no worries there either.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Infallible Moderator

January 01, 2013 06:35PM
Are there more pics/specs for that car anywhere?

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

January 02, 2013 12:10AM
Dazed_Driver
Yeah pics on my FB, have to get some on here, but specs I'll have to put them down on a piece of paper and can email.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 02, 2013 10:08AM
Cosworth
Dazed_Driver
Yeah pics on my FB, have to get some on here, but specs I'll have to put them down on a piece of paper and can email.

Thanks, Timmay has said that a Honda is most likely going to be his next car he's going to build.. That was about 5 years ago and he seems to be a little upset still cause I said he has a nice car now with his AE86 and that was a smart choice and maybe finish it and run it some before talking about "the next car I am going to build"..
Rumor has it's close to done. Maybe only another 4 or 5 years.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
RallyTaco
Chris Lanctot
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
just a wannabe

January 03, 2013 01:08AM
When are you and Timm going to fuck and break the obvious sexual tension so we can stop reading this shit on every thread?

Get a room and some lube and spare us the continued online courtship.

Morison
[jvl] Ohh noooohs! There's an h'off tawpik thread in the gent-urinal dick-cushion four-hum. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!![/jvl]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2013 01:10AM by RallyTaco.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login