Scott Creech
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

Re: Because....Xratty?
January 02, 2013 08:53PM
Anders Green
Houdini91
*Remove the jurbo. I'm new. Rally America knows that having a jurbo and being new means that you'll definitely probably get AIDS.

De-turbo and then later re-turbo? That sounds like a lot of work. It will be less work to just tow a little further and run some NASA Rally Sport events, we don't have that no-turbo restriction. After three or four events, then you'll be set to run the events close to you.

Cheers,
Anders

Sounds like what I will probably do, myslef....

(as really - the MORE I read about the "inner workings" of RA, the LESS I actually feel like entering one of their events - I've had the chance to buy about 4 different cars, or should I build-up two of my own - but all are/were Turbocharged and thus would destroy the O'zone or the P'zone/Q'zone layer, or somethin')

(has the NRS any interest in backing MO/AR/OK/KS/TX Rallys, other than the TX RallySprint?)

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Anders Green
Anders Green
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

January 03, 2013 09:46AM
Creech
(has the NRS any interest in backing MO/AR/OK/KS/TX Rallys, other than the TX RallySprint?)

Absolultely. But it's not like we have a team of commando rally organizers, waiting in the barracks to get the call to be launched out, and a big map of the US with bold arrows showing the states we're invading. winking smiley It's more like we help the people that are _there_ put them on, so it has to start with some local people. grinning smiley

Actually, that topic is a good one to add to my "Rally University", thanks for the inspiration! grinning smiley

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Houdini91
Tyler Estes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
My PC.

January 03, 2013 04:19PM
Creech
Anders Green
Houdini91
*Remove the jurbo. I'm new. Rally America knows that having a jurbo and being new means that you'll definitely probably get AIDS.

De-turbo and then later re-turbo? That sounds like a lot of work. It will be less work to just tow a little further and run some NASA Rally Sport events, we don't have that no-turbo restriction. After three or four events, then you'll be set to run the events close to you.

Cheers,
Anders

Sounds like what I will probably do, myslef....

(as really - the MORE I read about the "inner workings" of RA, the LESS I actually feel like entering one of their events - I've had the chance to buy about 4 different cars, or should I build-up two of my own - but all are/were Turbocharged and thus would destroy the O'zone or the P'zone/Q'zone layer, or somethin')

Eh. It might suck but I can only run local events. If I can have a Saturday off work.

Something about something....dirt.
Creech
Scott Creech
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

January 03, 2013 07:05PM
Anders Green
Creech

Absolultely. But it's not like we have a team of commando rally organizers, waiting in the barracks to get the call to be launched out, and a big map of the US with bold arrows showing the states we're invading. winking smiley It's more like we help the people that are _there_ put them on, so it has to start with some local people. grinning smiley

Actually, that topic is a good one to add to my "Rally University", thanks for the inspiration! grinning smiley

Anders

That's what I thought.

I would absolutely LOVE to run Organize (edited) one of these things - but a) I have not the first clue about how to start. And b) I am uncertain exactly WHERE would be a good place to start. Location, Location, Location - the closest Rally to me (100AW/Perryville F&F) have excellent, experienced folk organizing these Rallies, and the locals are even "somewhat used to" having roads closed for a few hours. How does one go about CHOOSING a series of roads (or even a single road, in the case of an NRS RallySprint), then getting the landowners AHJ to co-operate?

"Hi! We want to run a couple-dozen cars past your house at about 95mph, TWICE this weekend. Doesn't that sound keen? [sound of door slamming in my face]"

"Hello Sheriff, we're thinking of driving on some of this county's backroads at say, up to 100mph+ and...." [sound of handcuffs ratcheting around my wrists]

Yeah, I know, I know - got the hell off-topic.

Arrest me.

Teh Editz:
I was talkin' about actually setting-up another Rally/RallySprint - although I want to COMPETE in Rally as well. A re-read made me go back and edit to said WTF I meant to said....

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 10:48PM by Creech.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

January 04, 2013 08:47AM
Izzy's Custom Cages in St. Louis has done a Merker before (James Bass's, the Xratty guy in STL who is STILL building his car).

Don't be like James.

Get that cage in, say fuckit to fancy things, and just get out there and race right now. Look at the Williams brothers in their Festiva... crappy car to start with and still going with it... but I digress. They got on stage with the bare minimum seats, cage, and safety equipment. All no-name brand stuff but it got them to the end of 100AW. Stock tires, stock suspension, stock engine, stock fuel cell, stock stock stock. Did they place well? Hell no. Did they have a blast? Fuck yea.

Even if you can't deturbo properly right now, just do what I did to de-turbo the Legacy Turbo I had before perryville. Go to autozone, get some ricer intake tubing, slap the MAF on it, a cone filter, put a cork in the idle air control valve, and jack the idle screw so it idles at 2000 RPMs. Then go racing!

It was slow as balls, and the turbo was screaming for dear life (while spraying a nice fine mist of oil through my hoodscoop and onto the windshield) since nothing was regulating it. It was just sucking air in the engine bay and shooting it to the hood. Ran rich as hell, but I went racing, and I crashed on the second to last stage... 50 yards from the finish, but good god it was fun.

*EDIT* Also, the roads in MO are seriously so smooth that you don't need sooper fancy suspension right off the bat. Will it help? Tremendously. Will it keep you from finishing your first race? Nope, as long as you don't try to cut every corner and stay on the road.

*EDIT AGAIN* Seriously don't fret over the little things. Just do what you have to do to meet the minimum requirements of the rules to get on stage. Once you finish your first stage... hell, once you get 200 yards into your first stage, you will learn very quickly what ACTUALLY matters in a rally car. Then go from there buying the fancy bits that will help you push the car comfortably. But don't get so wrapped up in things that you purposefully miss events thinking you needed some fancy suspension.

I am trying to convince a friend right now that just because he can't downshift on the 2-1 in a old subaru 5-speed, that he doesn't HAVE to skip 100AW to pay for a new transmission. eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 08:52AM by MConte05.
Houdini91
Tyler Estes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
My PC.

January 04, 2013 05:45PM
MConte05
Izzy's Custom Cages in St. Louis has done a Merker before (James Bass's, the Xratty guy in STL who is STILL building his car).

Don't be like James.

Get that cage in, say fuckit to fancy things, and just get out there and race right now. Look at the Williams brothers in their Festiva... crappy car to start with and still going with it... but I digress. They got on stage with the bare minimum seats, cage, and safety equipment. All no-name brand stuff but it got them to the end of 100AW. Stock tires, stock suspension, stock engine, stock fuel cell, stock stock stock. Did they place well? Hell no. Did they have a blast? Fuck yea.

Even if you can't deturbo properly right now, just do what I did to de-turbo the Legacy Turbo I had before perryville. Go to autozone, get some ricer intake tubing, slap the MAF on it, a cone filter, put a cork in the idle air control valve, and jack the idle screw so it idles at 2000 RPMs. Then go racing!

It was slow as balls, and the turbo was screaming for dear life (while spraying a nice fine mist of oil through my hoodscoop and onto the windshield) since nothing was regulating it. It was just sucking air in the engine bay and shooting it to the hood. Ran rich as hell, but I went racing, and I crashed on the second to last stage... 50 yards from the finish, but good god it was fun.

*EDIT* Also, the roads in MO are seriously so smooth that you don't need sooper fancy suspension right off the bat. Will it help? Tremendously. Will it keep you from finishing your first race? Nope, as long as you don't try to cut every corner and stay on the road.

*EDIT AGAIN* Seriously don't fret over the little things. Just do what you have to do to meet the minimum requirements of the rules to get on stage. Once you finish your first stage... hell, once you get 200 yards into your first stage, you will learn very quickly what ACTUALLY matters in a rally car. Then go from there buying the fancy bits that will help you push the car comfortably. But don't get so wrapped up in things that you purposefully miss events thinking you needed some fancy suspension.

I am trying to convince a friend right now that just because he can't downshift on the 2-1 in a old subaru 5-speed, that he doesn't HAVE to skip 100AW to pay for a new transmission. eye rolling smiley

I'm not gonna lie. I've been talking to James for the past few weeks and I was seriously thinking about hauling it to STL before I found out that my uncle knew how to weld and fab. And yeah, that does sound like a good plan. I'm looking to have a blast most of all, but but I'm not gonna pay that huge entry fee and play to lose. Which is why I should try extra hard if I wanna place well. I just paid the hospital off today, (only $600 for ER visit and CT scans. Playa playa!) I'll have enough to pay for the car after next weeks check. Probably. Then I can work on working out the kinks and removing the jurbo. If not next week, the week after that for sure.

phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

January 04, 2013 06:36PM
First noob mistake. Maybe .5% of first timers place well. You WILL be at the back of the pack. Driving a rally car is a learned art form, and speed only comes with seat time. Throw that idea if only playing to win mentality right out, it will only cause you to roll your car into the trees on the second corner.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

January 04, 2013 06:36PM
"Lose" what? You want to win regional G2? You want podium? Good luck, ain't going to happen in your first race if you have zero prior racing experience (no, Dirt3 is NOT racing experience).

You need to get on stage with whatever the hell you have if you want to be fast. Nothing replaces seat time. You will be faster than Bass once he gets on stage simply because you got two rallies under your belt on stock equipment.

If you got a car, you could realistically be in time for Perryville. That is NOT a "huge" entry fee by any strech. It's the perfect first race. Get a cage in, get the best safety equipment you can afford, do your first race, THEN worry about power adders, suspension, etc.

It's not rocket science.
themxracer121
Adam Hardin
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Jetta

January 04, 2013 07:02PM
MConte05
(no, Dirt3 is NOT racing experience).

Well it's a good thing I've been using Forza then grinning smiley

I can also vouch for the roads in Perryville F&F, I drive them regularly since I live and work in the area. One of my co-workers lives on the CR used for stages 1&2. I would enter the rally in my daily driver if the rules allowed it, they are so smooth.

Adam Hardin #122 VW Jetta Mk3
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2OLsNlm1z7gWe-Q-hTx8Q
jbass
James Bass
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2x 1985 Merkur XR4Ti

January 04, 2013 08:59PM
Conte's got it man - seriously - hit Izzy's up (or, as JVL said - if you can BE SURE uncle-man will do it right - for the cage, etc.), and get that beeyotch goin'.

You don't wanna be on that 'nitpick' tip, like me. You'll be waiting for stupid shit all the time (like I'm waiting on some stupid part to put the brakes on in the back - and have been for uh - yeah - although - seriously, that's the LAST part I need ha!!! - at least I'll have it done in under 2 years (GAH)). If you start modifying shit, you can easily get into a dependency hell too (see: ME) where you replace part A with something better, but you need B, C, D. Each are easy to do, but, "B" takes a week to get. When you get B, you find out you needed E... ...et al...

Scott (Izzy's) is a cool guy to talk to as well - he may be at the Winter Social, so you could talk in person too (you are gonna go, right? RIGHT?!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 09:05PM by jbass.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

January 04, 2013 10:17PM
Glad you didn't take my jab personally James. winking smiley

I think some people love to build the cars more than race them sometimes. Which is perfectly fine, but it sounds like you (Tyler) want to get on stage. Unless you like the idea of building a car moreso. In that case, more power to you, spend several years making that "perfect" one-off "unique" car. Or just say fuckit and go racin'.
jbass
James Bass
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2x 1985 Merkur XR4Ti

January 05, 2013 08:20AM
^ yup. Sadly, I did want to get on stage quickly, but then it devolved - fast. At least, at this point, I'm f'in sick of working on cars, so, it was a good dose of "wake the fuck up" for me ha.

If you need any help moving it around or someshit, hit me up - I might actually get that trailer hitch installed on the truck sometime in the near future...
Houdini91
Tyler Estes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
My PC.

January 05, 2013 10:40AM
MConte05
"Lose" what? You want to win regional G2? You want podium? Good luck, ain't going to happen in your first race if you have zero prior racing experience (no, Dirt3 is NOT racing experience).

You need to get on stage with whatever the hell you have if you want to be fast. Nothing replaces seat time. You will be faster than Bass once he gets on stage simply because you got two rallies under your belt on stock equipment.

If you got a car, you could realistically be in time for Perryville. That is NOT a "huge" entry fee by any strech. It's the perfect first race. Get a cage in, get the best safety equipment you can afford, do your first race, THEN worry about power adders, suspension, etc.

It's not rocket science.

There's a mind set of "playing to win." How fun would it be to enter in a competition (it's all for fun, and learning, but yes it is a competition) and think "Okay. I'm gonna lose. I might as well not even try. Woe is me."
I'm going to pretend that I have a shot of winning, and act accordingly. That means "Oh I shouldn't take this turn TOOO fast." etc. Drive smart and learn control and have a good time. Not "I've never done this for-realsies, so I'm obviously going to win. POWERRRRRR!!!!"

You really think that I think I'm actually going to win anything? Really? For real really? No. Come on, Matt. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
And I know that playing video games isn't a racing experience. I have seat time in my DD, but I don't really push it because if I crash then I'm fucked until I get a new one. And it's FWD.

I have a brain. I know how to think. I might be unrealistic at (all) times, but I don't think that I'm just some guy that thinks he can buy himself an old POS Ford, buy a cage for it, and be the next Sebastian Loeb or something just because he can get next to last place in a video game that's nothing like real life. I might be retarded, but I'm not stupid. tongue sticking out smiley

jbass
Conte's got it man - seriously - hit Izzy's up (or, as JVL said - if you can BE SURE uncle-man will do it right - for the cage, etc.), and get that beeyotch goin'.

You don't wanna be on that 'nitpick' tip, like me. You'll be waiting for stupid shit all the time (like I'm waiting on some stupid part to put the brakes on in the back - and have been for uh - yeah - although - seriously, that's the LAST part I need ha!!! - at least I'll have it done in under 2 years (GAH)). If you start modifying shit, you can easily get into a dependency hell too (see: ME) where you replace part A with something better, but you need B, C, D. Each are easy to do, but, "B" takes a week to get. When you get B, you find out you needed E... ...et al...

Scott (Izzy's) is a cool guy to talk to as well - he may be at the Winter Social, so you could talk in person too (you are gonna go, right? RIGHT?!)

It's sort of a gamble. Either pay less for something that has a huge probability of needing mods to meet RA rules, or pay more for what I'm assuming is up to par. And yeah, I probably don't wanna make every little thing "BECAUSE RACE CAR!" and that was never in my plan. Keep it simple and reliable, dudebrah. And when's this winter social? Where is it? Youse gonna bring beers?

MConte05
Glad you didn't take my jab personally James. winking smiley

I think some people love to build the cars more than race them sometimes. Which is perfectly fine, but it sounds like you (Tyler) want to get on stage. Unless you like the idea of building a car moreso. In that case, more power to you, spend several years making that "perfect" one-off "unique" car. Or just say fuckit and go racin'.

As much flak as I'm gonna get for saying this, my interest in building and modding and fabbing is at about 5%. I just wanna rally. Not win, not even do well or any of that. Fun and learning. I just can't get into the building part. And I'm sure there's 5 shit tons of fun and learning in that. But not really for me. But then again I haven't tried for like 5 years. I'll give that another shot and see where that goes.

jbass
^ yup. Sadly, I did want to get on stage quickly, but then it devolved - fast. At least, at this point, I'm f'in sick of working on cars, so, it was a good dose of "wake the fuck up" for me ha.

If you need any help moving it around or someshit, hit me up - I might actually get that trailer hitch installed on the truck sometime in the near future...

Gahhh dude, my game plan has changed like a billion times. I'm the most indecisive person ever and easily persuaded and influenced. And naive as hell. What a great combination.
And alright. I sort of live near Boonville and Marshall, if you know where those are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2013 10:41AM by Houdini91.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

January 05, 2013 01:57PM
There is a Datsun 510 caged and ready to rock in Texas for sale for $3000. It's RWD, its "unique" and its ready to go. Go get that.
Houdini91
Tyler Estes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
My PC.

January 06, 2013 06:46PM
MConte05
There is a Datsun 510 caged and ready to rock in Texas for sale for $3000. It's RWD, its "unique" and its ready to go. Go get that.

The transportation to and from Texas if I decide to not ship it plus the $3K for the car plus whatever else it needs is out of my budget for now. "Unique?" Why would I care about having a unique race car? Is having a weird or uncommon car going to help me in any way on a rally stage? The only reason why I'm going the Merkur route is because some people that have been doing this longer than I've been alive and who probably know their stuff say it's a good rally car. And I like them. Yes, if I wanted a road car I'd want it to either be nice or somewhat weird or unique. But having a unique race car is going to be a PITA. At least with the Merkur there are plenty of things you can substitute and stuff like that.

I mean, unless I can find spare body parts and some stuff from the 240Z is interchangeable, then okay that would be reasonable. But I won't have $3k to put down until after I move into a place with a garage. Still shopping around for that. Old Japanese car exposed to Missouri weather 24/7 would not be good. Starting to sound like I have an excuse for everything, doesn't it? But the Merkur is less than a mile from work, I know the owner, I can get it in two or three weeks and then get it up to weekend driver condition and work out the kinks and then cage it and put gravel tires on it. Then race it.

I'll see you guys at 100AW this year. I'll be a control worker, I think. I can hear the collective groans and sighs from here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login