Posted by NoCoast 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Racing seats and head restraints...
May 22, 2013 12:05PM
So, I've been using the same Pro2000 for years. I plan to someday replace it with a Sparco ProADV. I get asked somewhat frequently about seats and one thing I always tell people is, don't just buy a cheap seat for rally (you sit in it for 20+ hours most weekends, you want to be comfortable), and buy one with head restraints. I first started recommending this post Hans requirement as it really completes the system. I figured it was only a matter of time until it was required. Well, it's now 2013 and while we have to cover every piece of roll cage tubing within 12 feet of our heads, the side restraint seats are yet to be required and only 2/3 require FIA seats even.
Anybody in the know think this is something to consider when buying a seat? I've had friends buy a car with non-head restraint seats, which I then say, just keep that seat until they change rules, as long as it's comfortable.
Anyhow, just random thought of moment.
Side note: New Sparco Ergo looks to be made in 3 sizes to better fit non-Italian men and the wings are removable to make doing stuff like tuning or interior electrical where you might be climbing in and out often a little more easy.

Grant Hughes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2013 12:06PM by NoCoast.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

Re: Racing seats and head restraints...
May 22, 2013 01:43PM
the racetech is one of the nicer ones ive been in for taller folks (6')

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

May 22, 2013 01:46PM
I remember when I started, RA had a blurb in the rulebook that head-restraint seats would soon be mandatory.

But then the new FIA standard came out, and seats cost 2-3K to meet it, so there's no way they can implement it.

That said, I sold my Pro2000 and picked up an OMP headwing seat for the new ride.

My only concern is I don't believe they're tested to any sort of side impact standard, so we don't know how fast we can slide into that tree before the wings break off.
HiTempguy
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

May 22, 2013 02:14PM
Head restraint seats are great... if you have the room.

I'm a small guy, and the way rally cages are designed seems to make head restraint seats a BITCH to use. I don't like them, they are very difficult to get into and out of. Not an issue road racing, but definitely an issue rallying.

And of course, I'll throw in "what incidents have there been to justify the IDEA to require head restraint seats"? From the amount of accidents I've been in (enough), I like my HANS much more than a head restraint seat.
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

May 23, 2013 09:27AM
Grant, I think you are on target a comfortable seat is very important for rally, I find that with the comfortable seat I am a lot less fatigued at the end of rally. I too recommend head restraint seats but some cars would be almost unusable with them. 1st Gen RX-7 comes to mind.

The two things I notice most about my head restraint seats, 1, they are great for napping / resting against when you have a long delay at a stage start. 2, when the road gets rough even without hitting anything I notice my head bounces off of them. I would conjecture that this reduces the stress on my neck muscles and ligaments.
wildert
Brian Klausen
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

May 23, 2013 01:20PM
HiTempguy
Head restraint seats are great... if you have the room.

I'm a small guy, and the way rally cages are designed seems to make head restraint seats a BITCH to use. I don't like them, they are very difficult to get into and out of. Not an issue road racing, but definitely an issue rallying.

Well - the supports/triangulation at the B-pillar is just near the restraint anyway, so it's more an issue with the A-pillar support (or what ever it's called), but I would figure that it's not that much worse than the way that the steering wheel gets in the way.

I have just installed head restraint seats in my car, and it was pretty clear that a quick release steering wheel hub was, if not required then, a very good idea.
On the passenger side I don't think it's that much of a hassle.

And of course, I'll throw in "what incidents have there been to justify the IDEA to require head restraint seats"? From the amount of accidents I've been in (enough), I like my HANS much more than a head restraint seat.

Well - I kinda get what you're aiming at here, but still I don't find it that unrealistic that you could slide sideways into a tree, or do a roll. In either of those incidents a foam collar and/or head restrain seat seems to be worth a lot more than the regular HANS.
Now, there are those new hybrid head restraint devices coming out now - as far as I understand they protect against side impact as well.

Brgrds
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2013 01:21PM by wildert.
shiza
Dan Norkus
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

May 23, 2013 05:45PM
fliz
My only concern is I don't believe they're tested to any sort of side impact standard, so we don't know how fast we can slide into that tree before the wings break off.

In your OMP I can tell you around 60 mph you're good(guessing speed from watching our in car). I've had a hard side impact in both winged and non-winged seats and I was definitely happy to have the wings when they were there.

The Pro ADV's are really comfortable. So are the OMP hte's and r.s.pt.'s. I'm a little small for them so for my car I got the Circuit which seems to be a little tight for most people. I would like to replace my codriver seat with a winged seat too but I don't think it's feasible due to one of the cage bars.

wildert

Well - I kinda get what you're aiming at here, but still I don't find it that unrealistic that you could slide sideways into a tree, or do a roll. In either of those incidents a foam collar and/or head restrain seat seems to be worth a lot more than the regular HANS.
Now, there are those new hybrid head restraint devices coming out now - as far as I understand they protect against side impact as well.

I have the hybrid pro and it definitely has side impact straps. Unfortunately I've had the chance to test them in a roll where we went over 2-3 times. They work well and I felt them grab multiple times. I still had a little stiffness in my neck but I would imagine it would have been worse without the device.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login