Posted by Ckgtimk2 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Tire Wear
June 11, 2013 06:44PM
One of my shop partners just retired a set of gravel tires. I'm hoping I can pick them up cheap. What do you think of this wear? I'm thinking mount them with worst wear outward and run 5 degrees of camber?

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Ckgtimk2
Corey Kline
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Used and abused Mk2 GTI

June 11, 2013 09:01PM
Do It Sidewayz
The outside of the tire looks like what i would mostly expect. But the inside of the tire looks a little bit like this area is being overloaded a bit.

I'd look at camber, too much camber will mean you are putting all your power and probably more importantly braking through this section of tire.

Believe it or not, toe can also do this as well.

Did you swap tires front/rear at service?? you should!

Having said all of that, I do not know the roads at STPR....which makes a huge difference. We have a road up here in Ontario (GCFR) which will KILL a full set of tires in about 50km. It is soo packed down that you will regularly hear tires squeeling on fast cars.

32 PSI is not horrible, but maybe a little bit high if it is hot/dry, which it was at STPR no? I probably would have suggested around 30 HOT....but 2 PSI won't break the bank.

As for the age on any DMACK in North America...they will be fresh, I'd guess the absolute worst case is 16 months since the date of manufacture. Which by no stretch of the imagination is old!

yep, yep, yep, nope. roads at STPR are very hard packed, where its swept it may as well be tarmac. obviously that comes into play w tire wear, and with tall soft tread blocks theyre going to get abused. temps werent too bad in the forest, plenty of shade so the road surface didnt heat up too much, and most stages i would say were still slightly moist. not dried out and baking in the sun. tires are fresh, it isnt an issue of age. im saying camber is the issue.

im putting the car back on the rack thursday, ill dial out some camber. any thoughts on adding some positive toe?

Less talk. More rally.
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

June 11, 2013 09:45PM
NoCoast
One of my shop partners just retired a set of gravel tires. I'm hoping I can pick them up cheap. What do you think of this wear? I'm thinking mount them with worst wear outward and run 5 degrees of camber?

I hope you are kidding, those tires look like trash.
Ckgtimk2
Corey Kline
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Used and abused Mk2 GTI

June 11, 2013 09:55PM
Dude, they're only half-trashed...

Less talk. More rally.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

June 11, 2013 10:29PM
johnhuebbe
NoCoast

I hope you are kidding, those tires look like trash.

They'd be kickass track day tires!

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login