Posted by Greg Donovan 
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

wiring questions
June 19, 2013 09:47PM
I thought I found the right wiring and connectors but it turns out I didn't. The ones I need are not common in salvage yards. Ugh. What do I need to get to make my own connectors? Is it just as simple as counting wires in and getting a male and female connector and making sure that the same thing in is the same thing out? ie. 25 wires would need a 25 pin connector?

I have the diagrams needed.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
John Reed
John Reed
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

Re: wiring questions
June 20, 2013 09:41AM
Greg Donovan
I thought I found the right wiring and connectors but it turns out I didn't. The ones I need are not common in salvage yards. Ugh. What do I need to get to make my own connectors? Is it just as simple as counting wires in and getting a male and female connector and making sure that the same thing in is the same thing out? ie. 25 wires would need a 25 pin connector?

I have the diagrams needed.

Are you just trying to hook a harness to a harness or plug into a specific component?

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

June 20, 2013 10:39AM
https://fbcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/264276_10150249543204675_1272633_n.jpg

Need to connect ecu to the The blue and grey plugs on my 95 ej18 intake manifold shown in the above picture.

Problem is the ecu to engine harness i got is off a car that has a round and square connector rather than two square ones.

I would go get the corresponding stuff off the salvage car but I am pretty sure it is gone now.

I was thinking of getting a couple mil-spec connectors from you and replacing the stock stuff. I don't want this thing to be hindered by 20 year old wires.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2013 10:43AM by Greg Donovan.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Infallible Moderator

June 20, 2013 02:05PM
I'm not sure where to get that specific connector, but I have always just used multiple connectors that are easy to purchase. You can even break them up into individual components (or groups) if you would like.
John Reed
John Reed
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

June 22, 2013 12:13AM
Greg Donovan
https://fbcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/264276_10150249543204675_1272633_n.jpg

Need to connect ecu to the The blue and grey plugs on my 95 ej18 intake manifold shown in the above picture.

Problem is the ecu to engine harness i got is off a car that has a round and square connector rather than two square ones.

I would go get the corresponding stuff off the salvage car but I am pretty sure it is gone now.

I was thinking of getting a couple mil-spec connectors from you and replacing the stock stuff. I don't want this thing to be hindered by 20 year old wires.

Couple options I suppose in that pin count. You could get a mil spec (or two) but they can be a pain sometimes with non mil spec wire (due to thickness of insulation), though OEMs have been going thinner and thinner on their wiring insulation. The age of the wire would be the next area of concern as you mentioned.

The other option is while I often can't source all those fairly uncommon connectors themselves, I can usually get the terminals for them. So if you could harvest the mates off of whatever Subie they are original on, then just use new terminals and you now have a OEM connection. Makes it that much easier if you ever have to replace the one half as well.

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2013 12:14AM by John Reed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login