Posted by OjNK 
OjNK
Gordon Sleigh
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS P4WD

Light Pod fittings
July 08, 2013 08:13PM
Picked up a fibreglass light pod for our GC Rally Car.

I know there's special ways to attach lights to these things, spring plates and whatnot, can someone enlighten me? I've got a set of Hella 4000's that I'd like to use. Are these things store bought or do you have to make them yourself? If they tend to be DIY can someone point me in the right direction?

Atlantic Canadian Region Rallysport: http://www.rallyeast.ca - Ledwidge Lookoff Rally http://www.lookoffrally.com
2000 Impreza 2.5RS CARS P4WD (Sponsored by Rally-Tech, Great North Performance)
Please Login or Register to post a reply
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

Re: Light Pod fittings
July 08, 2013 08:51PM
Here is a 4000 assembly:http://www.rallylights.com/all/lights/driving-fog/hella-rallye-4000-compact-pod-mount-lamp.html

I am sure that you can find just the rings
Nubby
Tony Wells
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

July 09, 2013 09:47AM
I've done this w/ KC Hilites, but I assume how you mount the stuff up is pretty standard.

You need rings for the lights, they clamp onto the circumference and have mounting tabs on them.

You'll also need the hardware kits that have threaded doo-dads that pop rivet to the fiberglass pod and will also have long allen head screws and springs and washers which you use to mount and aim the lights.

Here's how I did it in 11 easy steps:

1. Mount a ring to a light snugging it down to where it's secure, measure the gap where you're cinching down the ring and write it down.

2. Remove the ring from the light and then cinch it back down with the same gap you had when it was on the light. This way the tabs will be in the exact orientation when you put the light back in. Do this for all the mounting rings.

3. Layout the rings on the pod to see how you want them oriented. Tabs up-down & left-right make for easiest aiming, next best is an "X" if you have interference with the tabs all layed out in a "+" fashion.

4. Now that you know how you're going to orient them, center up your first ring and tape it down or hold it or whatever, and drill your first hole using the hole in the tab as a guide. Now drop one of the allen screws through the tab and hole and drill the opposite side, drop an allen bolt through that one, drill the other two holes. Now shit is aligned with the tabs on the ring.

5. My threaded doo-dads mounted with two small pop rivets. What I did was thread the allen screw into the doo-dad from the back side to get the doo-dad aligned in the hole, then drilled for one of the pop rivets, dropped a pop rivet through the doo-dad into the hole just drilled and drilled the other hole.

6. Lather, rinse, repeat for the 3 other mounting tabs.

7. Pick a drill bit a couple sizes up from what you used to drill the big holes and oversize the big holes a bit. This is important because otherwise it's a PITA to get the allen screws into the threaded doo-dads.

8. Pop rivet all the doo-dads, mine went on the back of the pod.

9. Lather, rinse, repeat for the 3 remaining lights.

10. Put the lights in the rings using the gap you wrote down.

11. Screw 'em all toghether.

Here's my pod when I started:

And completed:

You can see the tabs on the light rings and what I'm talking about when I say measure the gap when the ring is cinched down. Can't see the threaded doo-dads alas.
Nubby
Tony Wells
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

July 09, 2013 08:24PM
Something I forgot to mention:

Maybe your light rings will all be exactly the same, but the ones I got the tabs were slightly off kilter with on another. So I marked on them which position they went in and the orientation so everything lines up perfectly when you put everything together.
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

August 05, 2013 10:51PM
Nubby
I've done this w/ KC Hilites, but I assume how you mount the stuff up is pretty standard.

Once you've got the rings on the lights, it all seems to be about the same.

back in the dark ages, it looks like hella was using different housings for some of their pod-mounted lights: http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?6749-Hella-HID-Pod-Mounting-Rings

On the other hand, the PIAA mounts (http://www.subesports.com/products/cat/Pods/brand/PIAA/prodID/1541) are definitely separate from the housing, but look pretty specific and non-hackable.

Are the mounting rings you used from KC, or somebody else? Assuming they are from KC, are they available separately?

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
Nubby
Tony Wells
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

August 06, 2013 07:59AM
It's been awhile but I believe they were from KC, I bought everything at once for the pod and I can't remember if there was any branding on the packaging the rings came in.

I got the stuff from Doug Davenport, I'm sure you can get just the rings. I looked back in my old emails and it was $25/ring and that included the mounting hardware.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login