Advanced

ACD/AYC pump relocation

Posted by Iowa999 
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Super Moderator

ACD/AYC pump relocation
July 28, 2013 01:20PM
Rather than rebuild or replace the ACD/AYC pump (which is right behind the right rear wheel on a USDM Evo X) every year or so, I've decided to move it inside the trunk, as the Europeans all seem to do. Are there downsides to this that I may not have thought of for a car that is still daily driven? My plan is to use this kit: http://www.autotorque.net/services/ayc-pump-relocation-40/
Please Login or Register to post a reply
DaveK
Dave Kern
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

Re: ACD/AYC pump relocation
July 29, 2013 12:01PM
I wouldn't want the lines running under the car. In a rally car, fuel lines and brake lines are inside.

On my IX, I copied what ACP did and put it right behind the navvie seat. In the Euro and JDM cars the pump actually sat in the area just inside the quarter panel/bumper so IMO that was a pretty fragile area as well. Looks to me like the kit you pictured actually moved it further inboard, so I say good thinking!

Dave
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Super Moderator

July 29, 2013 12:57PM
Thanks. For now, all of the OE hard-lines are still on the bottom of the car, but Ryan Thompson made me a very nice plate that covers them all. At some point, all lines will move inside, just not yet. I just wanted to make sure that it was OK to move the pump inside the trunk. I was assuming that it was where it was for the extra cubic foot of trunk space on the window sticker on the lot, but wanted to be sure.
Nubby
Tony Wells
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

July 29, 2013 01:41PM
The reason the ACD/AYC pump is where it is on US cars, e.g. in the front, is because of US emissions regulations. The space where the ACD/AYC pump normally would live in a Japanese or European Evo is taken up with an evap canister in the US model.

And that's also why US Evos with ACD don't have an intercooler sprayer, because moving the ACD pump to the front takes up the space where the intercooler sprayer goes.
urr
Andrew Sutherland
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru, EVO, Honda, Husky

urr
July 29, 2013 08:05PM
I seem to recall people putting them in front of the co-drivers feet

Rally America rules for Super Production:

In Super Production, the Active Center Differential pump and
accumulator on a 2005 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII or a 2006-2008
Mitsubishi Evolution IX may be relocated.

Maybe Alan can tell us why the X isn't included.....Alan??
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Super Moderator

July 29, 2013 09:10PM
Nubby
The reason the ACD/AYC pump is where it is on US cars, e.g. in the front, is because of US emissions regulations. The space where the ACD/AYC pump normally would live in a Japanese or European Evo is taken up with an evap canister in the US model.

Hm. I think that you're thinking that I have an 8 or 9, but I have an X. Both the EVAP canister and the ACD/AYC pump are in the rear on an X, regardless of whether the car is USDM or otherwise, from what I understand. It's the 8s and 9s that varied by market. And no X (that I know of) has a sprayer.
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Super Moderator

July 29, 2013 09:11PM
urr
Rally America rules for Super Production:

In Super Production, the Active Center Differential pump and
accumulator on a 2005 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII or a 2006-2008
Mitsubishi Evolution IX may be relocated.

Maybe because the two active differentials in all Xs make it moot? (guess)
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 30, 2013 07:48AM
urr

Because most rallyist have good taste and wouldn't be caught driving the X, a car so hideous it doesn't even deserve the Evo name in my book.

Grant Hughes
Nubby
Tony Wells
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

July 30, 2013 08:16AM
Iowa999
Nubby

Hm. I think that you're thinking that I have an 8 or 9, but I have an X. Both the EVAP canister and the ACD/AYC pump are in the rear on an X, regardless of whether the car is USDM or otherwise, from what I understand. It's the 8s and 9s that varied by market. And no X (that I know of) has a sprayer.

I should've read your post more carefully, I just assumed they put them up front on the X as well. I don't know if this would suit your needs, but RallyTech makes a guard for the ACD/AYC pump that should keep most of the weather and gravel spray off of it, there's a couple of of them at the bottom of this page: http://rallytech.co.uk/index.php/products/mitsubishi-evo-parts/71

Maybe easier than relocation, probably more expensive, not sure. I know Davenport Racing can get RallyTech stuff if you decide you want to get a quote.
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Super Moderator

July 30, 2013 10:43AM
A stone-guard is an option (that is cheaper and easier), but has been found (by eastern Europeans) to not prevent the corrosion. That's the current Plan B, plus a large silicate package and an easier way to get to the thing on a regular basis.
urr
Andrew Sutherland
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru, EVO, Honda, Husky

urr
July 30, 2013 10:46AM
NoCoast
urr

Because most rallyist have good taste and wouldn't be caught driving the X, a car so hideous it doesn't even deserve the Evo name in my book.

That's certainly a strong theory! Another is that there aren't any, or very few, people running an X in SP so they haven't lobbied to have the rule changed.

The way I understand it, there are two main reasons to move the pumps into the car 1) get it out of harm’s way 2) keep it clean. I think it was PVB that said the pumps are very sensitive to dirt and dust, which leads to premature failure.

I don’t see the point for a street car…
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 30, 2013 11:35AM
NoCoast
urr

The dead fish gape mouth look doesn't get your loins a-tingling, huh?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Nubby
Tony Wells
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

July 30, 2013 02:58PM
urr
NoCoast
urr

That's certainly a strong theory! Another is that there aren't any, or very few, people running an X in SP so they haven't lobbied to have the rule changed.

The way I understand it, there are two main reasons to move the pumps into the car 1) get it out of harm’s way 2) keep it clean. I think it was PVB that said the pumps are very sensitive to dirt and dust, which leads to premature failure.

I don’t see the point for a street car…

They are sensitive to dust and dirt, but you have to get it into the hydraulic fluid, and there isn't an easy ingress except for the tiniest of vent holes in the fluid reservoir. I don't know realistically how much dust can get through that little vent. Could probably just take a circle of coffee filter and rubber band or hose clamp it over the lid and never have to worry about it. Which just gave me an idea....
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Super Moderator

July 30, 2013 11:01PM
What kills most pumps - whether it be on an 8, 9, or X - is corrosion from the surface working its way inside, separating the needs-to-be-perfectly-flat plate from one or both sides of the body around it. I have never heard of a pump being killed by anything in the fluid (but you can't prove a negative and I'm not sure if you'll trust my ability to search, anyway).

My point is that, regardless of how the car is being used, moving the pump from its OE location to inside the trunk will most likely pay for itself, several times over. My question was whether there's some non-obvious reason for not moving the pump. You seemed like the folks most likely to have moved a pump - or, at least, considered it - so I (stupidly) asked you.

If you'd like to see what a pump from the OE location looks like after five years, here you go:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2013 11:03PM by Iowa999.
Attachments:
open | download - acd pump.JPG (62.3 KB)
acd pump.JPG
blackboxrally
Alvin Fong
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Frankensteined Evo IX

August 13, 2013 12:29PM
first, bwahahhahaha.

NoCoast

now to answer your question:

One potential downside when relocating the pump could be latency when moving the pump further away from the ACD unit itself (i've never tested this theory). This was an argument i heard when comparing its placement on the codriver floor vs behind the seats. Since the evo X one was engineered to be placed in the rear, i don't think it would be a significant issue.

Some practical reasons not to relo to trunk:

1) Not sure what you carry in your trunk, but between the hammer, fluids, and hacksaw in mine, things have a tendency to fly around quite a bit during spirited driving sessions tearing a warpath in its way. So maybe think about where the lines/bracket will be placed in relation to things that can hit it.

2) when ::insert tool here:: inevitably strikes your ACD, now in the trunk, while you're drifting sideways down Mt. Akina, and it starts leaking all over the place, the first thing it will leak all over are your most prized posessions, such as, xbox, computer monitors, and/or hack saws, instead of the earth that the biodegradable acd fluid is meant to be absorbed by.

If you have the time to do it, it's a good mod. anyone that lives in new england can show you how quickly corrosion eats up underbody parts. rebuilding/saucing ACD pumps is expensive.

i'm assuming no one has campaigned an evoX in SP because it's still much cheaper to sauce evo 8/9 shells. An SST would be pretty awesome to have along with AYC if it could be tuned right!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2013 12:37PM by blackboxrally.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login