Posted by Eric Ewert 
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

Re: Volvo 240 Shell Prep... guide me!!!
September 15, 2013 08:00PM
God damn it john I want!!! hot smiley You just had to post that didn't you? Is this guy restoring a group a car or replicating one? If the later where the hell did he find the parts?

Albert do you have a build of your car? Im curious to see your rear suspension setup.

So as far as seam welding do as much as possible but not the end of the world if every last thing doesn't get done is what i'm getting from all this.

I will be taking the advice on the main hoop btw.

So to answer your question Albert this is my first rally car, never done a stage rally. Volunteered a fair bit at them lately, did some frozen lake ice racing in my street car (autocross setup) and a couple tsd's.

So what im going for is a car that will be affordable to run, reliable, upgradeable, and most importantly a fun and good car to learn on. This is why i'm not trying to build an open class awd car right off the bat, despite what a lot of folks my age would do (or rather try and do).

No the car will not be built to a level to win national titles, I want seat time. Expensive car= less money for events which means less driving which means don't get to hone skills.

This is why the idea of just turrets and leaving the rest stock is interesting, get the turrets in since there hard to do later and then down the road add the rest when driving skills go up.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

September 15, 2013 10:17PM
That sound like the best plan I have heard in a while. The Hardy's 242 still uses stock rear suspension, and that car has done like 30 or 40 rallies.

My 242 will get towers, boxes and long 4 links because I have them.
JohnLane
John Lane
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

September 15, 2013 11:11PM
Standard rear suspension pick-ups will do just-a-fine with HUGE heim-jointed upper arms like Bill Scribner in Seattle Built for me.... and the right springs and shocks. Sellholm supplied mine in the kit. I've gone really goddamned fast with the rear suspension in my car. It works. Is there room for improvement? Maybe but spend your money where you'll get the best return.

Sellholm's suspension and brake package seems like a lot of money until you bolt it into the car and don't have to fuck around with it for hours and hours cuz things don't fit/are built wrong ect.

Sellholm actually knows what they are doing. There are things worth spending money on. Don't scrimp and save on your front suspension and brakes.... When front suspension fails at speed you may well die for it. That is not saving money.

2.0-2.5 turns lock to lock makes it as driving a different car. Do it. JVL did this for me back in the day by sourcing the pair of gears.... He sent an uber-rare ZF rack that I found in a yard in Seattle off to the rebuilder to be made nice-nice... My car has 2.5 turns of steering goodness that has been the cat's pajamas. Do this or buy from someone who can supply fast steering. Better fast steering via the rack then a quickener.

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

September 16, 2013 02:05PM
Eric Ewert

No the car will not be built to a level to win national titles, I want seat time. Expensive car= less money for events which means less driving which means don't get to hone skills.

This is one of the best statements I have seen in a build thread in a long time. Good luck and hopefully the car will be out on the stages soon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login