Posted by Dirt McGirt 
Dirt McGirt
Tony Peto
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 Honda Civic Si

Re: Civic Hatch Gp2 Build
February 07, 2014 06:17PM
Alright, build "update" here. I've since acquired a 220V MIG (Hobart MVP Dual-voltage), JD2 bender & die, and related fab tools. I've been shopping local steel yards, the best deal is through EMJ for my order but delivery isn't until Friday next week.

Is there anyone in the Seattle/Everett area who'd like to sell me about a 10ft stick of 1.75 x 0.095 DOM today or this weekend? Will pay $5/ft cash and/or equivalent beer. I'm eager to take a first crack at bending! It'd be nice to refresh my notching/welding through the week as well. Man I didn't realize how much I've missed being able to join metal until I fired this welder up.

"Just add more 'Stop-Leak', it's a Duratec, it'll be fine..."
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mod Moderator

February 07, 2014 06:56PM
Glad to hear you got a 220 welder. We also have a 210 MVP Hobart. It works really well in 220 , and pretty decent on 110. Doubly, no...triply, make sure you have the polarity right. Ours came with solid wire and was set up for flux core. The diet few welds didn't have the penetration we really wanted. Now that it's dialed, it lays it down nicely.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

February 10, 2014 12:29PM
E.M Jorgensen for steel- call them they will deliver and they came it at half the price of pacific when I bought mine.
http://www.emjmetals.com/

For bending- swing by an appliance sales shop and grab some large pieces of cardboard. Make a template out of cardboard for the main hoop, lay it on the floor and bend to match.
Dirt McGirt
Tony Peto
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 Honda Civic Si

February 10, 2014 03:24PM
Yeah thanks Robert, your suggestion made me look further into the 140 Handler. I'm pretty happy with the MVP, it'll be great for emergency welds on the road too. Finally picked up some Argon/CO2 and solid wire, now it makes that nice sizzling bacon sound. Do you have the spool runner for this? I was considering picking one up when I get around to fabbing the skid plate.

AJ, yep I quoted with Everett Steel and EMJ. EMJ was about 20% less. Both pleasant to deal with. EMJ won't deliver to residential addresses, but I didn't push them too much on this. No biggie. I like that template suggestion, it'll give me something to do while I wait for steel.

Currently taking some final measurements to see if some Sparco ProADV's with headwings will fit properly in the Civic. Anyone try these seats? Did you have to adjust the pedals/steering wheel to make it work? Does it cover up that side escape route?

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 10, 2014 04:12PM
Billy Elliot Mann has a ProADV in his Civic.
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/60180_573892003727_798598_n.jpg

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/483278_764906454237_1504802235_n.jpg

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/533714_824366755317_1305773548_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/427745_817914046597_140490357_n.jpg

I do seem to recall him maybe having an aftermarket pedal set. I think he has a build thread on specialstage maybe...

Grant Hughes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 05:20PM by NoCoast.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

February 10, 2014 05:03PM
Yup. They delivered mine t some place called b3 racing... weird that my house shared the same address
Dirt McGirt
Tony Peto
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 Honda Civic Si

February 20, 2014 01:30AM
Tubing has arrived, new seat arrives tomorrow, main hoop is bent, progress feels good man.

Also, I had no idea that shattering a quarter window sounds so much like a gunshot. Cops were outside my house in about 90 seconds flat! I still think breaking them out was easier than window wire or that HF tool. I tried both, probably misused the tools each time, then when I pulled too hard...BANG. This Honda glue is laid on thick and tough. After shattering, I used a propane torch along the glue to soften it enough to run a boxcutter around the seam. It took only about a minute to remove the seam+glass strips, and 20 more to collect the glass that will forever rattle in every interior corner. Reminder: let the pro's handle those sorts of things. This means Lexan windows for the Civic! Which still needs a name BTW... Previous owner called her Esmeralda. Meh. Anyways, looking to get the cracked windshield out a little cleaner tomorrow.

I set the hoop along the B-pillar to show the fit, but it'll be offset a few inches back most likely for cabin space. Seems to fit nice n tight like. Mounting feet are next, thanks Gene for the quick feedback on those.

Alright shut up and post some pictures, they said.

Attachments:
open | download - JD2_Rally_Civic_Main_Hoop.jpg (39.8 KB)
JD2_Rally_Civic_Main_Hoop.jpg
open | download - Main_hoop_left.jpg (34.2 KB)
Main_hoop_left.jpg
open | download - Main_hoop_right.jpg (43.8 KB)
Main_hoop_right.jpg
open | download - Main_hoop_offset.jpg (33.8 KB)
Main_hoop_offset.jpg
open | download - Rally_civic_main_hoop.jpg (41.5 KB)
Rally_civic_main_hoop.jpg
Creech
Scott Creech
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

February 20, 2014 03:13AM
Nice & Tite!

Cops in your 'hood must be a bit "edgy", I can shoot something in the middle of the night here (and have!), and don't get so much as a phonecall....

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
Dirt McGirt
Tony Peto
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 Honda Civic Si

March 03, 2014 12:00AM
More cage progress. More to come this week, as I skip sleep/work to get the cage wrapped up.

Creech: Thieves, consider yourselves warned. Creech is not to be fucked with. Well, at least not on his property. I'm actually delighted that the cops showed. I haven't lived in Everett long, but I know enough that the cops are my friends here, haha.

So, planning on spending a few bucks on steering. The plan: Howe quickener and associated PS pump mods, possibly quick release hub if price is right. If this was your Civic, would you use a 1.5 or 2.0x quickener? Would this be your next upgrade point, assuming suspension/brakes have been improved? Btw, 3.58 is the stock turns L2L.

I'm also in the market for your used 14" gravel tires, and spare 4x100 14" high offset wheels. Does anyone here use the Black Rocket hard compound gravels? Will one set last my barely streetable 130hp beast for a few races? What will $200 more dollars get me?

Feelin' pretty lucky to have a few good threads on Civic-related brakes and suspension. I'll try to soak the info up more this week and come up with better questions than the newb ones circling my head right now.

Great news: Mr. Michael Milos will be co-driving the Civic. I'm very excited to work with him, and have his experience on tap for OTR!

Attachments:
open | download - Rally civic roof bars.JPG (52.2 KB)
Rally civic roof bars.JPG
open | download - Roll cage main hoop front laterals.jpg (68.8 KB)
Roll cage main hoop front laterals.jpg
Dirt McGirt
Tony Peto
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 Honda Civic Si

March 17, 2014 12:24AM
More pics for yous guys.

Went with the 1.5X quickener, skipping the quick release, seems like there will be enough space to get in alright. Still looking for a hub/deep dish wheel if the price is right.

Tires/wheels arrived, found some CL alloys that fit, Silverstone 505's tires to match, thanks Matt Tabor for dropping those off.

The seat's gonna be mounted farther back so I can recline slightly and clear everything. Pedals are now out of reach, as expected. Rather than dive into a pedal box install, I think I'll settle for extending/reinforcing the existing pedals, with attention paid towards keeping leverage ratios about equal to what they are now. Everything about this idea screams "that's f*ckin sketch", but I can't think of a good reason why not. Time/budget allowing, I might fab up a bias bar dual MC setup ditching the booster, unlikely for OTR though.

Suspension: Every thread I've read has said the same thing: It'd be nice to improve the funky rear toe link trailing arm, or ditch the double wishbone front for struts, but the issue isn't big enough to require serious attention. Most WRC cars seem to run struts because the platforms they're based on run them. Manufacturers use those because they package well without sacrificing too much with regard to geometry. Maintenance seems much easier too. Might just box and spider-web-gusset the trailing arms and address it all later in the summer.

Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20140315_203245430.jpg (48.8 KB)
IMG_20140315_203245430.jpg
open | download - IMG_20140315_151730954.jpg (44.3 KB)
IMG_20140315_151730954.jpg
Dirt McGirt
Tony Peto
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 Honda Civic Si

March 25, 2014 09:31PM
Okay onto springs/dampers. I've been reading Aaron Luptak and Petenaz's threads where these discussion already happened at length, lots of great info there. My takeaway is to go with off the shelf EK front and EG Bilstein HD dampers, get those revalved and spacers removed, cut the spring perches, add threaded sleeves, spring it, and go? Its my understanding that the EK fronts have a larger diameter piston than the EG.

I had a set of front and rear shock assemblies over at JVL's garage today, we noticed that the springs taper quite a bit at the perch. After reinstalling them, I checked their clearances with the upper control arms. Seems like if I use different non-tapered springs, they'll have to have the OD of the smallest taper coil? Anyone here add a longer aftermarket spring with an OEM OD?

I took some pictures showing where an aftermarket spring might interfere first, and drew up the dimensions I got from the OEM assemblies. Also, at some point someone swapped the 9.5" front rotor/calipers where I should have 10.3's.

Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20140313_155903167.jpg (29 KB)
IMG_20140313_155903167.jpg
open | download - IMG_20140325_174918837.jpg (38.6 KB)
IMG_20140325_174918837.jpg
open | download - IMG_20140325_174838398.jpg (27.6 KB)
IMG_20140325_174838398.jpg
open | download - IMG_20140310_194245111.jpg (27.6 KB)
IMG_20140310_194245111.jpg
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

March 26, 2014 12:22AM
Dirt McGirt
I had a set of front and rear shock assemblies over at JVL's garage today, we noticed that the springs taper quite a bit at the perch. After reinstalling them, I checked their clearances with the upper control arms. Seems like if I use different non-tapered springs, they'll have to have the OD of the smallest taper coil? Anyone here add a longer aftermarket spring with an OEM OD?

I'd think you'd be doing the threaded sleeves & perches and the aftermarket spring at the same time - so the primary 'D' you'd need to worry about is the ID to fit the new perches.

FWIW, the 2.5" ID Eibachs (that fit ground control perches) I had lying around had a near-identical OD to the main part of the OE springs. Not spring rates you'd probably use on a rally car (I think one was probably 450lbs/in), so I'd expect a softer spring would be no bigger OD.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
Dirt McGirt
Tony Peto
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 Honda Civic Si

March 26, 2014 12:56AM
Aaron Luptak
Dirt McGirt

I'd think you'd be doing the threaded sleeves & perches and the aftermarket spring at the same time - so the primary 'D' you'd need to worry about is the ID to fit the new perches.

FWIW, the 2.5" ID Eibachs (that fit ground control perches) I had lying around had a near-identical OD to the main part of the OE springs. Not spring rates you'd probably use on a rally car (I think one was probably 450lbs/in), so I'd expect a softer spring would be no bigger OD.

Right, ill be doing those things at the same time. Are your perches higher than stock, or are your eibachs much shorter than stock or the same length? If the taper is there for clearance to the upright like it appears, (in full droop I should have mentioned before) and I go with a straight wound 2.5", 12" long soft spring, I'm showing very nearly contact with the upright. Or maybe the spring is tapered for another reason like spring stability, some progressive effect, or most likely it was cheaper somehow

Or im being paranoid and it might not be a problem at all. I guess tomorrow I'll check more closely and report back

Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

March 26, 2014 10:15AM
Dirt McGirt
Right, ill be doing those things at the same time. Are your perches higher than stock, or are your eibachs much shorter than stock or the same length? If the taper is there for clearance to the upright like it appears, (in full droop I should have mentioned before) and I go with a straight wound 2.5", 12" long soft spring, I'm showing very nearly contact with the upright. Or maybe the spring is tapered for another reason like spring stability, some progressive effect, or most likely it was cheaper somehow

Or im being paranoid and it might not be a problem at all. I guess tomorrow I'll check more closely and report back

looks like you've got at least 1/4", that should be plenty... tongue sticking out smiley

The 7" eibachs are on some ottercross suspension that doesn't have much droop. I'll try to remember to double check on my "new" stage car that has eibachs and ground control sleeves, but I don't believe there's any evidence of contact there.

This may be a chassis-specific issue though - probably worth asking some of the others running EGs.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 26, 2014 11:12AM

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login