Posted by eugene.reish 
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

Re: 1986 VW build...The infected grow in numbers
January 03, 2014 11:33PM
FYI I just replaced the electric power steering unit in my Mom's Saturn Vue. The unit is expensive, not adjustable and drives like shit.

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 03, 2014 11:35PM
Rallymech
FYI I just replaced the electric power steering unit in my Mom's Saturn Vue. The unit is expensive, not adjustable and drives like shit.

But but but EVERYBODY says its soooooooooooooooooooooo simple---like 45 minutes and a 3 crimped connectors---what could possibly go wrong?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Infallible Moderator

January 05, 2014 01:08AM
Robert, we all know you're a pessimist smiling smiley

Pete, this is what I developed. I also have a few sets still available if you would like to purchase a set. The ones I have are for the mk4 rotors, so you'll have to also drill out the rotors as well as the hubs (assuming 4x100).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2014 01:12AM by Robert Culbertson.
eugene.reish
Eugene "Gene" Reish
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1986 VW Gti

January 05, 2014 04:31AM
It seems like with all the weak points of the mkii someone should just swap tubs with a make iv since all the me iii/I've stuff is modified onto the mkii anyway. Anyone, see why this wouldn't be a good idea? What are the pro's of a mkii anyway besides weight and looks?
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

January 05, 2014 10:51AM
hoche
I run all my cars with the stock tank and pumps. To protect them, I go to the junkyard and get a second fuel tank, slice the bottom half off (like cutting a biscuit) and then put that under the real tank. Then I silicone around the outside to keep gravel from worming its way in. The whole thing goes back in using the stock three metal bands.

You can put a cell in if you like, but I don't see the worth. I mean, if you like fabricating and plumbing and so on, feel free.

and this

Tom B
I never had any problems with vw power steering....plus it is soooo cheap to get second hand or a complete parts car. A quickener should be the priorty, fix the rest of the system and make sure your skid plate is well braced for that pump way down there.

CV's are easily fixed by using a mk3 PLUS suspenion and axles (find someone parting a car).

DO NOT use a fuel cell, protect the stock tank.

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 05, 2014 12:17PM
eugene.reish
It seems like with all the weak points of the mkii someone should just swap tubs with a make iv since all the me iii/I've stuff is modified onto the mkii anyway. Anyone, see why this wouldn't be a good idea? What are the pro's of a mkii anyway besides weight and looks?

What you're getting a glimpse of is the power of the blind leading the blind, the phenomenon known as 'in the land of blind men a one eyed man is king", the power of repetition, , indeed apropos to both VW and a well used political technique "The Big Lie"---since the same guy is behind both somewhere...

Also known as "Everybody says".
Everybody says Golf II are "GREAT " cars.....

I think you better be real careful about what "everybody" says.....

Everybody says MkIII and MkIV is "way" heavier...VWMS seems to have managed OK

I personally say doesn't matter what shell, you will not get all the parts needed for a just barely acceptably reliable car in ONE PLACE,.
You'll have to search and measure and assemble regardless of what shell you use.
And in every one Golf I, II, III, IV you'll have to invent some serious motor mount systems.
And in every one you have a lot of choice of good reliable motors but since there must be balance in life that is counterbalanced by extremely limited and extremely expensive options for gears and final drive.......this problem being a common fault with all FWD cars

In the end, the gears in the box and the final drive---and of course a good multi-disc LSD are the decisive parts. They define how much you can hot up the motor, how well the car will go up hills, how you will do overall.
So doesn't matter worrying about shell when the big single glaring fact of the gearbox is staring at you.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Tom B
Tom B
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

January 05, 2014 10:41PM
Fuel Cells are great in cars that you can mount outside of the passenger compartment. Making a cell work in the passenger compartment isn't worth it in the current rules. You can't beat the stock tank for usability, it is engineered to last a long time and work properly. Protect it under the car and you'll be fine...if not another tank is just a pick and pull away.

-Tom
DemonRallyTeam | Fine Tuning | CTS Turbo & RP Turbos | RalleyTuned | JRM | Meister Autowerks
Spitfire EFI | Product Apparel | JVAB Imports | NLS | AP Tuning | USRT

Add us on Facebook | Next Event: 2013 Olympus Rally June 22-23 Olympia, WA
wildert
Brian Klausen
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

January 07, 2014 12:27AM
As far as FWD cars go, VW aren't exactly the worst for transmission stuff. It is very much available, both FD's, diffs and entire gear sets. Tons of options for even the stock Mk II 020 box, which by now is a bit old.
Getting a 02A is a safer bet these days, conversion into an Mk II shell isn't the biggest endeavor.

I know it isn't T5 price range, and you'd be wise to everything at once with a transaxle, instead of upgrading diff first, then gear set, etc. in a RWD car, but still... it is there, and compared to other FWD platforms it is relatively cheap.

I'm rebuilding my 020 this winter (finally). It's currently a 16v gear set, 4.64 FD and Quaife diff and has served me well for several seasons.
Since I'm (always) on a budget, I have been looking for an inexpensive option. I should be able to rebuild into what is very close to a proper racing CR gear set (top speed aprox 110 mph @ 7500 rpm, gears are about the same as SQS's NA CR gear set) for around 1000 USD on the bottom line. Now, this is a bit of magic, but involves using a stock FD and selling of the 4.64, and then having 3rd, 4th and 5th reshaped (there's a German company that does this). The stock FD makes 2nd very close to the SQS set, and then there's only the silly 1st that I can't do anything about - but I'll live with that.

The thing is, the three reshaped gears are around 2000 USD, and a diff is 1000-1200 USD. That is not bad for FWD....

Brgrds
Brian

Towona
Tony P
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

January 08, 2014 02:36PM
Since you have a virgin shell and some time on your side, completely gut it (every last nut and bolt removed) and start from there. The immediate threats you mention are of no consequence right now, deal with them, along with the other issues you will find during tear down, during the rebuild process.

Runamuck Rally
Towona
Tony P
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

January 08, 2014 02:39PM
Pete

What about the spindles? Did the Rally Anarchy braintrust figure a good/cheap way to keep this from happening?

Yes, stop sliding the car sideways.... especially into things like rocks, ditches and ruts. :p

Runamuck Rally
Creech
Scott Creech
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

January 08, 2014 02:58PM
Towona
Pete

What about the spindles? Did the Rally Anarchy braintrust figure a good/cheap way to keep this from happening?

Yes, stop sliding the car sideways.... especially into things like rocks, ditches and ruts. :p

But... where the hell's the fun in THAT?

Might as well stop masturbating or drinking beer while I'm at it....

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 08, 2014 06:06PM
Creech
Towona
Pete

Guess you picked a bad week to stop sniffin glue.....

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
danster
Haggis Muncher
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

January 09, 2014 05:54AM
john vanlandingham
Creech
Towona
Pete

Some say that to have any fun whilst rally driving a FWD VW it is mandatory to be drinking, wanking, high on glue, and toking a bifta....

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
Creech
Scott Creech
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

January 09, 2014 11:26AM
john vanlandingham
Creech
Towona
Pete

Perhaps, but I have been considering taking up spraycan-huffing to make up for it.....

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login