STARION 3.90 Ring & Pinion Set - Ebay

eBay Item number: 250339111961

Not mine
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Haztoys
David Rodgers
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
90 Mitsu truck ..And needing something new just not sure what..???

Re: STARION / 3.90 Ring & Pinion Set - eBay
December 15, 2008 09:13PM
Later Starion wide body cars with the bigger diff use the same gears as a truck or Montero.. Theres 3.90..4.22..4,65...4.88..Gear sets

Mitsu truck rear ends are stronger and stronger then a Toyota diff..And a lot of Monteros had LSD and After market LSD is cheap... 33mm axles that have a BIG shimed timken... Good strong cheap axle that gets over looked ...Car guys and racers are such sheep..Do it because someone else does... ..And yes I know that just because theres lots of Mitsu's in my neck of the woods...Does not mean there ez to find in other places...

But good diff's...

David

Hazardous Toys inc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 09:14PM by Haztoys.
Rich Smith
Rich Smith
Junior Moderator

December 16, 2008 11:30AM
Dave,

I didn't know "late" Starion & Montero gear sets & LSD's were interchangable.

Thanks,
Rich Smith

(PS: Old Monte's are cheap, cheap, cheap in the Northwest.)
Haztoys
David Rodgers
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
90 Mitsu truck ..And needing something new just not sure what..???

December 16, 2008 05:46PM
Rich Smith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dave,
>
> I didn't know "late" Starion & Montero gear
> sets & LSD's were interchangable.
>
> Thanks,
> Rich Smith
>
>
> (PS: Old Monte's are cheap, cheap, cheap in the
> Northwest.)

Gears are the same ... LSD will not swap... Truck and Monty are the same gears lsd and all ... All Mitsu's with LSD are marked on the drives door jam...Rather its car or truck ... All diff's have a sticker on them (at least there still on most cars out west ) that says what gears are in them ...If the sticker is white its an open ...If the sticker is yellow is a LSD ...If a early Monty has the "bouncy seat" and "head light washers" ...It has a LSD...There a tag on the fire wall of trucks and Monty's that will say what the gears are in that truck..Date of 6-80 on back on a truck may have a strange rearend and the trans is smaller stay clear of those trucks.. Theres a smaller diff in 83 to 85 Starions and RWD cars colts and stuff ... The lower gears for these can be plundered out of the "front" of a 4X4... The small diff starion do come with LSD but not all have them...ALL 88-89 big diff starions are LSD...Theres 86-87 big diff starion thats could not have a LSD or not..Look on the door frame for the tag..Even DSM's cars have a sticker if its LSD..With some cutting on a lathe you can put a small diff starion LSD in a Colt or front of a 4X4... Ez to make work .. Mitsu owns the company that makes most of the LSD that come out of Japan ...Fujo ..Fuja...Fuje or what ever they call the company

Did you know that the 5 speed that comes in Starion and trucks realy does not have a over drive ..Its realy more like a close ratio trans ..Now most stock trans have a BIG step from 4th gear to 5th... These Mitsu trans do not ...real cool trans .. I would think that the trans would be the ticket for a RWD cars..I "back hack turn" my little Mitus truck when I turn it racing ...And the tran holes up fine for me... I run a Starion trans in the truck ...Same as a truck trans ..The reason is the shifter is like 5 inchs set back on the trans...I'm 6-4 real long legs .. And the Starion trans moves the shifter back ...So with this trans you get two spots to have the shifter..And theres four shifter sticks to choose from too... "I" do not think I could drive the truck with the shifter on the stock spot..I'm just to tall ...Starions and Monty's are HYD clutch ...Trucks are cable clutch ... Theres two bell housings ... You can mix and match these comb's up and get what you want... ANY Mitsu motor can be bolted up to a RWD trans..

Now what trans has all this to offer.. T5 does and thats about it... If I was running G2 RWD or a G5 lower HP car... This Mitsu trans is what I would use..And there cheap too..Is it as strong as a T5.. No ...I never said that..But a WHOLE lot stronger then some say it is ...I got in to Mitsu's because there free out hear in AZ were I live ..

Its funny (sad) that these trans and diffs are not used in the rally world for swaps...

Most Jap RWD car diff gears can be found some were in the truck line..Eather in the rear of a truck or the front of a 4x4 truck ... I did two diffs for the Roger Hull's 240Z... Were did the gears come from ...?? Front of Datsun 4x4 truck .. $50.00 each...Roger had $500.00 in a new LSD and 4.20 gears..And one wild thing about the Jap diff's ..Is the bearing seam to all ways be usable.. Rogers did not buy bearings ...Being a front 4x4 diff they have no ware on them ... And Starion and Truck use the same bearings ...240z and front truck diff use the same bearings ..Did a diff for Jeff Hendres (sorry on the late name spelled wrong) ..He has the Yellow Mazda truck with the rotry motor in it ... The LSD is a GEN2 RX-7.. Needed a spacer under the ring gear..That was a $20.00 LSD ..LOL..

Jap gears and diff's are really a place in the car world that has NOT been dug into ..I did some looking into the Toy Supra diff .. Sure looks like gears out of a IFS 4x4 truck ...Never tryed the swap.. No time these days ...My day job was at one time diff and stick trans for 20 years..

I could go on for days on what fits what..Sorry to run on.. on this post..

Captain Gear Box

Hazadous Toys inc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login