Posted by gilbrock 
gilbrock
Eli Gilbert
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
91 Galant, 02 WRX

Open Class Rally Car-SoCal - $14K – race ready
June 13, 2009 06:45PM
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX with STi engine– built from low mileage shell – less than 50K on car now. 315 ft/lbs tq, 235 hp at the wheels. Fully logbooked, legal, and ready to race. Must sell. $14,000 OBO

Well, really hate to do it but I have to put the Tommy Gun Rally Team car on the market. I’m going back to grad school and since I was caught up in the ‘recession’ and was out of work for 7 months only recently finding a job, I can no longer afford the fun stuff, namely rally. Specs on the car are followed by a little more in-depth explanation of all you get. No trades wanted unless you have a real cheap rally car you want to trade plus $$$. Price is OBO but low-ballers will be ignored. Please help me to keep this thread on-topic. Will not part out except maybe some of the stuff in the last paragraph. Pardon the length of the post, but I want to be upfront and very detailed about everything with this car. OK, on with the show!

Engine:
2004 Subaru STI block
2004 Subau STI heads with AVCS (currently not hooked up)
2002 Subaru WRX ECU with ECUtek tune, low boost and high boost settings
2002 Subaru WRX intake manifold with traditional cable throttle body (not ‘drive by wire’)
ARP Head Studs (very important)
STi Type RA High Capacity Radiator with integrated oil cooler (cooler not hooked up)
STi Pink Injectors
STi Timing Belt – replaced less than 2K miles ago
VF30 Turbo with RA/NASA legal 34mm restrictor
Large TurboXS intercooler
GP Moto intake elbow
Stock intake
Stock exhaust manifold
Catless uppipe
NKG Iridium plugs, one step colder
Catch Can
Custom Aluminum Cam Position Sensor mount
4” bellmouth downpipe
Fuel Inspection Port
STI ‘Pink’ Fuel Injectors
Custom 3” exhaust with hi-flow cat (NASA/RA legal)
Crucial Racing Thermostat (Modded for cooler running)
Crucial Radiator Cap
Recent O2 sensor replaced

Suspension and Brakes:
TEIN HG Gravel Dampers with remote reservoirs and adjustable compression/rebound
Noltec Camber/Castor Plates (front and rear)
Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars, Front and Back
Stock Control Arms, Lateral Links, Trailing Arms
Stock Brakes
Motul RBF500 fluid – recent flush
Goodrich/Agency Power Teflon-Coated Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Transmission and Driveline:
Exedy Stage 2 Clutch (low miles)
Gruppe-S Lightened Flywheel
Stock Driveshaft, Axles, and Differentials

Safety and Rally-Specific Gear:
RaceTech FIA HT1000 Seats (Driver and Co-Driver) these will never expire
Crow Enterprises 5-Point FIA/SFI Harnesses – Expire in 2011, you can have them re-webbed after that.
Full Multipoint SCCA/NASA Logbooked Rollcage – Primitive Enterprises Cage KitTerraphone Pro Intercom
Terratrip 303 Rally Computer with wired remote
Coralba C-Giant rally computer – the holy grail of rally computers (Will need to be wired in, as I have the wiring but never installed it) – these sell for $1,000 new and are used by all the top professional teams.
Primitive Aluminum Underbody Protection (Skidplate, Rear Diff Guard)
Urethane Mudflaps - unbreakable
Double Roof Mounted Air Vents
DEFI-Link On-Board Diagnostics Controller (Oil Pressure, Boost Pressure, RPMs)
Momo Steering Wheel with Quick-Release
2 Hood-Mounted Fiberglass PIAA Light Pods (each with 2 Spot and Fog Beam Pattern Lights)
2 bumper-mounted fiberglass PIAA light pods (unpainted) with no lights – just the pods
Dual Fire Extinguishers – (Charge Good Until 8/09 – recharge only costs $12 each)
RA/NASA-legal VRP (vehicle recovery points – tow hooks)\
Trunk Mounted Battery in Spill-proof Marine Box
Welded in tabs for secure spare mounting
Hoodpins
RA/NASA-legal Spillkit
RA/NASA-legal First Aid Kit
RA/NASA-legal Tow Rope

Wheels/Tires:
4x Compmotive TH-2 Aluminum Rally Wheels with Mounted Hankook Rally Tires (Gold) – recently balanced
2x Compomotive Aluminum Rally Wheels with mounted Hankook Rally Tires (White) – recently balanced
4x Spare Yokohama Rally Tires
4x Rota Slipstream 16” Tarmac Wheels with Yokohama Tires

Miscellaneous/Body:
JDM Gauge Cluster with programmable shift light/buzzer (mileage will obviously be off, since it’s in KPH)
Zero-Sports Rear Wing – very rare!
Mesh Foglight Covers
Helmet Net
STi Hood Scoop
Water bottle holders x2
Custom Center Switch Panel with Ignition, Start (no key needed), Lights (High Low) and a remaining blank Switch

All decals will be removed prior to sale and the paint underneath is in great shape, with a few rally scratches and dings. The front bumper is now black, with the blue fog covers but most pictures have the stock bumper in it.

An important thing to know when buying a rally car is how many events a car has done, as considerable stresses are put on the chassis and parts during these long events as you can imagine. That’s one of the reasons I was attracted to this car in the first place, because it was well cared for, and not just used until it was ready to fall apart. This car only has 9 events in the logbook - 4 of which were at the Gorman Rally which is only ~55 stage miles. Car has a 100% finishing record with no DNF’s. We had a few parts fail during races – like with any rally car - but we always finished. The car is fast and stout, and has always gotten us to the finish line.

This car is ready to race. Unlike most rally cars which need either updated seats, harnesses, or other safety equipment like rollcage updates to be legal – which are very expensive fixes, this car needs nothing. The cage is logbooked and legal, the harnesses good until 2011, and the engine has had a recent rebuild. Turbo is in excellent shape, as is the suspension and drivetrain. All were cared for using the best materials and fluids to prolong longevity and stage worthiness. The car could use an alignment though.

The car has never had any on-stage impacts, rolls, or major hits to the suspension. The car was involved in one rear-end accident last year while on the street, but it was professionally fixed by Balboa Auto Body in San Diego to the tune of over $3K (covered by insurance). There was NO frame damage whatsoever, it was strictly the sheetmetal. This work included a new rear quarter panel, rear taillight, and rear bumper. Paint and fit and finish in this area is like new.

Regarding the engine – I just had Greg at Millenium Motorsports (who prepped many of the engines for the RockStar Rally Team) do an inspection of the motor including compression/ leakdown. Visual inspection was great and comp/leakdown Results were:

#1 125 psi comp & 2% leak down
#2 125 psi comp & 4% leak down
#3 130 psi comp & 4% leak down
#4 125 psi comp & 3% leak down

The sparkplugs still look brand new according to Greg (this is after two events on them). Absolutely no blow-by, the catchcan is empty, and it purrs like a kitten.

There has also been other recent engine work done which I will summarize here: Two years ago the radiator got a puncture on the freeway and the head gasket blew as a result of overheating. The radiator was replaced with an ultra-rare STi Type RA radiator with integrated oil cooler. The heads were inspected, resurfaced, and I got a 3-angle valve job done. I also got the timing belt replaced with an STi model and got heavy-duty ARP head studs to ensure this wouldn’t happen again. What I didn’t know was that the mechanic tightened the cam gear (which is composite) with an impact wrench, cracking it. The gear broke a short time later and the valves contacted the pistons, bending 3 valves. These were replaced, another valve job done, and now the car runs great. Very strong.

The car was tuned for the 34mm intake restrictor (as required by the rally rules) by master tuner Clark Turner. It has awesome torque and power considering the restrictor. Dyno sheet is attached and the video of the dyno run can be seen at:

315 ft/lbs tq, 235 hp at the wheels on a Mustang Dyno.

This car comes with a comprehensive spares package that should last you quite a few seasons. We have used relatively few spares, as I replace things when their serviceable life is nearing the end, retaining the used part as a spare. All spares will be given to the new owner in heavy duty stackable tubs – which are very handy. We regularly had the RockStar Energy Rally Team’s mechanic, Chris Tusow (Opie) inspect the car prior to and after events to let us know what we should replace, and closely followed his advice.

As far as classing goes, this car is not on the bleeding edge of any class and you can really tailor it for what you need. I run it in Open Class with the big dogs, but you can put a 2L block in and it’ll be PGT Class. Take the turbo off (like a guy on Dirty Impreza did to make his car rookie-legal per the Rall America rules), and run it in Open Lite for a season. Up to you, could be done in a weekend. This car is a hoot for rallycrossing too, and it is very fast on course. At the last Glen Helen Rally-X event I ranked second in quickest time, which was awesome. Also, if you are into track days or Time Attack, you could sell the rally stuff (wheels, computer, intercom, lights), and get some nice track suspension and go to town. The cage is legal for any sort of road racing event (also have an SCCA logbook for it).

Car is currently registered and insured in California and will be smogged and ready to race at time of purchase. The oil has been changed and I did a recent tranny/diff fluid change with the GrimmSpeed Tranny Cocktail (one of our sponsors).

Regarding sponsors, we did secure a sponsorship with Red Line Oil for discounted fluids, which the new owner would likely be able to retain with minimal effort.

I was able to get this car financed with a good interest rate through Capital One’s ‘blank check’ program and I bet it’d be easy for you do the same. The car is street legal and completely streetable, I used to occasionally drive it to work, and taking the car to car shows is a blast! We even had the car in the Gumball 3000 (car show section) – and got as many looks as the Bugatti Veyron parked adjacent to us! I have tons of other pics if you are serious about the car too.

Spares Package

NEW Power Steering Pump
NEW starter
Trailing arms x2
Lateral links x4
Control arms x4
Axles x3
Center Differential
Power Steering Assembly with tie-rods
Fuel Pump Assembly
Alternator
Brake pads (front) x2
Brake pads (rear) x2
Brake rotors (front) x2
Lug nuts
4’ x 7’ Sheet of 1/2 “ HDPE for underbody protection
Radiator Fans x2
Stock WRX Intercooler
Mudflaps
Car Alarm
Oil Filter
Inner/Outer CV bands
Stock Brakelines x6
Ball Joint
Perrin Front Swaybar Endlinks
Perrin Rear Swaybar Endlinks
Boost Solenoid
Rear Brake Calipers (R&L)
Thermostat
Stock front Swaybar Endlinks
Lower Radiator Hose
SUBARU trunk lettering (brand new OEM)
OEM BOV & hose
Kartboy Exhaust Hangers x2
Kartboy Battery Tiedown
Kartboy Rear Diff Bushings
Kartboy Shifter Bushing
Stock Shift Knob
Rear Brake Calipers
Clutch Slave (needs rebuild)
Small Assortment of fluids (oil, brake fluid, PS fluid, radiator Race Cool, etc)
Box of nuts and bolts

You will not find a ready-to-race rally car with this comprehensive of a spares package for such a steal. Unfortunately, right when my co-driver and I were getting into our groove, I have to put the car on the market. There are other open class cars for sale now that are thousands and thousands of dollars more (some are over $20K more!) – and though they might have the flashy carbon bits and anti-lag, this car is no less capable. I’m certain the new owner will be extremely happy with the car, the spares package, and the sheer thrill of racing such a fast car.

OPTIONS: I also have another set of 4 unmounted Hankook rally tires, and another set of gold Compomotive wheels with mounted Hankooks which I can also include for more $$$ if desired. If you desire a stock suspension set as spares, I have access to that. Also have a Peltor Pro Intercom available if you already have Peltor helmets – we can switch with the Terraphone for a few more bucks. Lastly, if you are a big guy, I have access to a set of larger Sparco seats (Evo2 and Evo3) as well, if you need to swap with the RaceTechs.

More pictures available in this gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98413876@N00/sets/72157619471445142/

Contact me at gilbrock@gmail.com for more information
Eli Gilbert
Tommy Gun Rally Team

Please Login or Register to post a reply
gilbrock
Eli Gilbert
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
91 Galant, 02 WRX

Re: Open Class Rally Car-SoCal - $14K – race ready
June 14, 2009 03:37PM
Video from R4 Event -

urr
Andrew Sutherland
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru, EVO, Honda, Husky

urr
June 15, 2009 07:37PM
Are those unmounted Hankooks new? If so, size and temp?

Andrew
gilbrock
Eli Gilbert
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
91 Galant, 02 WRX

June 15, 2009 09:35PM
They're used, 160/15, med compound.
urr
Andrew Sutherland
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru, EVO, Honda, Husky

urr
June 16, 2009 01:29PM
shoot...looking for new ones.

andrew
gilbrock
Eli Gilbert
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
91 Galant, 02 WRX

July 03, 2009 01:45PM
bump!
gilbrock
Eli Gilbert
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
91 Galant, 02 WRX

July 27, 2009 12:23AM
bump. The spare wheels are now sold. Car still comes with 6 Compomotive wheels with mounted Hankooks, 4 spare/testing Yokohama rally tires, and 4 mounted Rota tarmac wheels.

Spare suspension and seat options no longer applicable as well.

BUMP!!

Eli

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2009 12:25AM by gilbrock.
gilbrock
Eli Gilbert
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
91 Galant, 02 WRX

August 13, 2009 01:35PM
sold thanks
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 13, 2009 01:37PM
gilbrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sold thanks

Well sold, not good but it's gone.
Now get a nice 240 turbo Volvo and do the low key method.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
gilbrock
Eli Gilbert
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
91 Galant, 02 WRX

August 13, 2009 08:52PM
I hear that. If I still had my Flathood it'd have a cage and a t3/t4 on it by now. smiling smiley

Let's see if I can do the law school thing for a while and become one of those scumbag attorneys....then back to the rallying. smiling smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 13, 2009 11:23PM
gilbrock Wrote:
> I hear that. If I still had my Flathood it'd have
> a cage and a t3/t4 on it by now.
>
> Let's see if I can do the law school thing for a
> while and become one of those scumbag
> attorneys....then back to the rallying.

Write grant proposals to fund the school thing.
I had a sweetie pie Doctor of Anthropology who paid for her undergraduate, graduate and Doctorate via various grants.
Money just laying around.
She got a tenure track job in BC and got reloaction money AND a separate 10,000 buck grant for a trip to Nepal before she even arrived.
(And she hired me as the Company to move her up there---I hired 2 women customers of mine who I knew worked hard and were BOTH real cutie pies so I asked them "Hey, want to make a quick couple of hundred bucks? Just a couple of hours, strictly physical, cash" I had to duck from the one, they other said "Jooooooooohhhn...., Hmmmmmm well...." Made a nice $5000 doing what i would have done anyway.

Why Law? What specialty?
No to be mean but don't you think there's a surplus of lawyers now?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
gilbrock
Eli Gilbert
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
91 Galant, 02 WRX

August 18, 2009 07:15PM
Thanks John, I appreciate the advice.

Basically, I have been in commercial real estate for a decade and am only now discovering there are virtually only 3 career tracks: Broker, which I would rather be flayed alive, Asset Manager (basically a property manager and financial analyst all in one - with twice the work - and my degree/experience isn't in number crunching), and corporate attorney - processing companies contracts, leases, sale agreements, all that. Basically the paperwork behind real estate transactions and ownership. No litigating, no real research, and there are some good opportunities if I can leverage some of the relationships I've acquired over the years. Good stuff.

And if I do well enough on the LSAT, I can get a free ride to school too. smiling smiley

Eli
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 18, 2009 09:19PM
gilbrock Wrote:
> Thanks John, I appreciate the advice.
>
> Basically, I have been in commercial real estate
> for a decade and am only now discovering there are
> virtually only 3 career tracks: Broker, which I
> would rather be flayed alive, Asset Manager
> (basically a property manager and financial
> analyst all in one - with twice the work - and my
> degree/experience isn't in number crunching), and
> corporate attorney - processing companies
> contracts, leases, sale agreements, all that.
> Basically the paperwork behind real estate
> transactions and ownership. No litigating, no
> real research, and there are some good
> opportunities if I can leverage some of the
> relationships I've acquired over the years. Good
> stuff.
>
> And if I do well enough on the LSAT, I can get a
> free ride to school too.
>
> Eli

Well good luck, braver man than me to work in that field in that area.
I worked in some law offices here once when trying to break out of the self-employement car repair thing.
100% research, making timelines and charting personnel between to companies making Coast guard ships, one getting a contract and sub-contractiong to the other, then later the other doing the reverse, and whop the inspectors at the Coast Guard were, when who moved from one company to the other, or from the Coast Guard to one of the compoanies. Spanned over 15 years, a real Peyton Place.

But the the thing I'm best at is reading and zeroing in on details.

Drink a small, like turkish coffeee sized, cup or 2 of coffee before the LSAT, it does help how the brain works. Good strong coffee.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login