Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Round 2 JVAB steel flywheels for Volvo

Posted by john vanlandingham 
WindowsBreakerG4
Elite Moderator

Re: Round 2 JVAB steel flywheels for Volvo
November 22, 2011 04:55PM
True, and I accept that fact, but you usually don't make 10 of something without making sure it fits first. If John had he could have chucked them back up really fast and fixed the issue before shipping them winking smiley

Flywheels aren't rocket science. It's a part that bolts to a piece that doesn't change. It's not like it's suspension where the car has had 25 years to distort.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

November 22, 2011 05:53PM
Naw, flywheels are rocket surgery!

Yes, in a perfect world John would've bolted one up before shipping, and I probably would've too, but I know all too well how it goes while trying to herd cats...errr, kids, and John has both! smiling smiley

Oh, and five bucks says it would be faster to notch ten of whatever needed notching than to chuck up 10 flywheels one at a time on a lathe. tongue sticking out smiley smiling smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 22, 2011 06:08PM
WindowsBreakerG4
No I want a flywheel that fits. Sounds like you have your issues sorted now.

Then stop lecturing .
This was handled as it should be handled.
an adult, John McC sent photos and then called on the phone and said ther was about 1mm interference.

I made the drawing , did all the measurements including the step on the mating surface to the band that supports the ring gear. The measurements were correct.
LATER when finalizing the drawing and nailing down just how much meat to leave to support the ring gear, it was suggested "maybe we could leave another mm there"
Sounded good and I didn't think---NEVER having seen any other engines have only 1mm gap between flywheel and block--didn't even think it could be a problem..
Do you understand? We were looking to do an improvement and that's where the eyes were focused.
At the machine shop with the lathe running, not in the garage with a block and crank in the stand..

When John McC called I went down, grabbed the standard flywheel and dropped it on the crank in the block and IT CONTACTED in same place.
Wot the fuck!
Only after pulling it flat onto the crank did it square up and I could see the nearness of the OEM thing..

I took photos and posted them warning the people that they'd need to kiss about 1mm off.

John McC did the right thing, not calling demanding I make it right, he called in the spirit of co-operation in solving a minor issue.

You and your friends whining on Brickspeed do not undertand they way designing and making parts out of raw materials at an affordable price is constrained by the cost of the machine time. The first run was half the minimum run to make economic sense. One cannot, without adding hundreds of dollars to the cost of a run, make one part, then check it and then go back and run the series. It has to be ready to go.
Which means it has to be 100% right.
100% is pretty tall order on first run.

What is not helpful is somebody like you and your friends---who are not making parts--to lecture and tell me whet it SHOULD be, I know what it should be. But what should and waht is sometimes is off my a measly 1mm and instead of ganging on like petulant spoiled live at home californicators, you guys SHOULD (<----see?I can use the word "should" as presumptiously as you) be thinking and saying
GREAT! First run done and aside from one unimportant, and easy to fix little kiss contact, everything worked out and fast, too. Coolio, now we can all have flywheels in STEEL for the same price that place in Portland charges for merely whittling away some iron--and leaving corners and edges all over.

That is what you should be saying.

Just as an educational thing for me while we're having a nice conversation, what is with all you Central and SoCal guys?
Is this constant complaining and snarkiness and lecturing guys making things none of you can manage just the normal way everybody there interacts? Or is there just a sub-set of spoiled, demanding guys that have no manners and don't know how to behave like humans?
What's this guy scottyd excuse?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 22, 2011 06:26PM
fiasco
Naw, flywheels are rocket surgery!

Yes, in a perfect world John would've bolted one up before shipping, and I probably would've too, but I know all too well how it goes while trying to herd cats...errr, kids, and John has both! smiling smiley

Oh, and five bucks says it would be faster to notch ten of whatever needed notching than to chuck up 10 flywheels one at a time on a lathe. tongue sticking out smiley smiling smiley

Specially considering they were out for balancing.

Here's original:

man that's close.

Here is the horrible blunder that has all these boys up in arms demanding things be made right!!!

Less than 1 minute with a 4" angle grinder and a sanding disc.

What a catastrophe!!!!!moody smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2011 06:36PM by john vanlandingham.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

November 23, 2011 08:01PM
OMG, I had to grind 1mm off the mounting tabs on my rear brake pads tonight to get them to fit!!! The HORROR!!!! And these were from Raybestos or some semi-reputable manufacturer.

This is not the first time I've had to do this either, for stock shit for my daily driver.

And let's not get into the drum under disk e-brake that would not accept aftermarket shoes (yes I wore out my e-brake, I'm sure excessive handbrake turns and using the e-brake to drop a quick 10 mph w/o brake lights at speed traps had NOTHING to do with the shoes only lasting 157k miles). Shoes had to be OEM, or they wouldn't fit. Grrrr.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2011 08:01PM by fiasco.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 23, 2011 09:38PM
fiasco
OMG, I had to grind 1mm off the mounting tabs on my rear brake pads tonight to get them to fit!!! The HORROR!!!! And these were from Raybestos or some semi-reputable manufacturer.

This is not the first time I've had to do this either, for stock shit for my daily driver.

And let's not get into the drum under disk e-brake that would not accept aftermarket shoes (yes I wore out my e-brake, I'm sure excessive handbrake turns and using the e-brake to drop a quick 10 mph w/o brake lights at speed traps had NOTHING to do with the shoes only lasting 157k miles). Shoes had to be OEM, or they wouldn't fit. Grrrr.

Well you silly wabbit din't ya get them on the horn and demand they fix things!
DEEEeeeeee-Mand it!
You should go over to Turbopricks and start a 8 page rant !!!!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Morison
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

November 24, 2011 07:43AM
john vanlandingham
Then stop lecturing.
Which was followed by 540 words of lecturing.

John, one of the reasons everyone I talk to thinks your come across like a complete ass, even if they do like you as a person and even if they do like the product you make, is that you can't just 'leave it alone.'
When you make and sell things, not everyone is going to be happy all of the time. When you have customers, you'll have complaints. Simple like that.
Its how you deal with the complaints that makes the difference. If you get the sense that the whiners come to you with a confrontational attitude its probably because of your reputation, deserved or not, for treating complaining customers poorly and seemingly being unable to accept ANY responsibility for the issues.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 24, 2011 10:51AM
Morison
john vanlandingham
Then stop lecturing.
Which was followed by 540 words of lecturing.

John, one of the reasons everyone I talk to thinks your come across like a complete ass, even if they do like you as a person and even if they do like the product you make, is that you can't just 'leave it alone.'
When you make and sell things, not everyone is going to be happy all of the time. When you have customers, you'll have complaints. Simple like that.
Its how you deal with the complaints that makes the difference. If you get the sense that the whiners come to you with a confrontational attitude its probably because of your reputation, deserved or not, for treating complaining customers poorly and seemingly being unable to accept ANY responsibility for the issues.

Morison one of the reasons everyone I talk to thinks you are a complete ass is how you lecture on things you don't have a fucking clue about.
Ask a customer that has had a problem and 99% are happy at the work to resolve problems..
And that you invade threads HERE that you have absolutely NOTHING to do with and repeat rumors and shit.

The "reputation" for treating complaining customers poorly is perpetuated by guys like YOU repeating it AGAIN and again and again ---and by guys like that guy Alden who is in on the second round but telling a guy --- a guy whose problem is solved, a guy who calls with problems on his POS Isuzu cause it has a carb and he knows I can literally walk him thru the steps to clean and rebuild it, a guy who calls at least once a week for chatting and crap------to "get him on the horn and demand!!"

Morison, I am a human first. Over on Brickspeed where Alden was blabbering, one of the moderators--and man filled with anger and rage*--- was lecturing me about my response to this by saying "Its unprofessional of you to----blah blah blah'

I said if i was worried about the appearance of professionalism i would not be making parts for 30 year old Volvos owned by 20 something hipsters.
I said I am a human FIRST.
I said offensive language can be overt, and implicit.
Of course simpler minds inevitably fixate on the overt language, others who a bit wiser understand the overt and the hugely offensive ideas IMPLICIT in for example, you ruining this thread with your insulting comments.

Alden's words were not needed, were hugely offensive in what they were suggesting and TOO FUCKING LATE since the kid Myles had already been told it was a ridiculously simple solution---thank goodness.

Be a good boy Morison, its our Thanksgiving here so get out of this thread unless you want to buy a nice steel flywheel.

* this guys response to a video of Oakland, California Police, facing a line of "Occupy Oakland" peope standing passively, not even chanting, when suddenly and with no visible provocation, begin beating a few people including nearly 2.5 minutes of same fat POS Gang of Blue wailing on some skinny woman--totally passive, till she finally collapsed

his response "Thank god they had such restraint against those violent protesters who cornered them. If it was me I don't know if I could restrain myself from blah blah blah"

This guy talks about "professionalism" and "politeness and decorum"..

Can you say cognitive dissonance?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 05, 2011 04:11PM
here's the list: ................................................Deposit sent........2nd Slice
01. Patrick Helzer aka 700V............w 60-2.......................NO
02. Hallvard Buer aka RS1..w 60-2 and custom bolt circle...YES
03. Eric Olsen aka Poik............w 60-2............................Jepp
04. Alex Morgan aka Lord Athlon ....w 60-2.......................NO
05. Alden Merchant aka WindowsBreakerG4....w/o 60-2.....YES
06. Mattias Mellum aka Matti......w 60-2.....................Jovisst
07. Taliessin Penfound aka vertigosity..(2)..w 60-2............YES
08. Taliessin Penfound...................................................YES
09. Alex Nordenson aka Manimal......w 60-2......................YES
10. Albatros Kunkannennen aka megulon-7....w 60-2.........YES, sponsorship
11. Brian Smith aka brian smith...60-2 n.a., undetermined yet.YES
12. Pat Darrow ....w/ 60-2....YES
13. Arne Saevik aka surre_sprett...BMW 228 w/60-2...........YES
14. Dan Halli aka dhallilama..Saab 9000 pp,........... ..........YES
15. Chris Floren aka Duder...w 60-2..................................YES
16. Toby Eidelman aka Magnum TE......Kennedy 228 w/o.....YES
17.Simon Babbs aka sbaabs..........w/60-2 ..YES.OK
18. Preben Thunberg--Norge..........?...................YES
19. Brian Havinga aka twofast242GT......60-2.......YES
20. Dennis Havinga ..aka.."Dad"........9000 60-2....YES

Add:
21. Jon Wøllo Norway .............................60-2...BMW 228 ....YES

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 08:40PM by john vanlandingham.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Round 2 JVAB steel flywheels for Volvo: Lathe work DONE
December 05, 2011 04:50PM
Turning operations are done---the lathe work.
Flywheels to be delivered to CNC mill guy this afternoon ---if i make it in time.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

December 05, 2011 11:04PM
I'm still listed as not having the 60-2 please change to include the 60-2 on my wheel. Thanks for getting this together John. Missed you at Big White.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 06, 2011 02:20AM
slidewayswrx
I'm still listed as not having the 60-2 please change to include the 60-2 on my wheel. Thanks for getting this together John. Missed you at Big White.

Edited, Pat.
I was watching Anna and Natasha the whole weekend.
That's a long way up there.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Final calls for bolt circles
December 17, 2011 04:05PM
here's the list:

02. Hallvard Buer aka RS1.w 60-2 and custom bolt circle?
03. Eric Olsen aka Poik....w 60-2..DUAL PATTERN Saab 240 + Volvo 215

06. Mattias Mellum aka Matti.....................w 60-2..........................................Saab 240
07. Taliessin Penfound aka vertigosity..(2)..w 60-2.........................................Saab 240
08. Taliessin Penfound................................w 60-2.........................................Saab 240
09. Alex Nordenson aka Manimal................w 60-2.........................................Saab 240
10. Albatros Kunkannennen aka megulon-7.w 60-2......................................Cossie 242
11. Brian Smith aka brian smith......................60-2, ................................undetermined
12. Pat Darrow .........................................w/ 60-2.........................................Saab 240
13. Arne Saevik aka surre_sprett............ w/60-2...........................................urple">.BMW228
14. Dan Halli aka dhallilama.............................W/O..........................................Saab 240
15. Chris Floren aka Duder.........................w 60-2............................................Saab 240
16. Toby Eidelman aka Magnum TE............w60-2......DUAL VW 228 + .....Volvo 215
17.Simon Babbs aka sbaabs.......................w/60-2...........................................Saab 240
18. Preben Thunberg--Norge....................... w 60-2..........................................urple">BMW 228
19. Brian Havinga aka twofast242GT.............w/60-2.......DUAL ???.....................Saab 240
20. Dennis Havinga ..aka.."Dad"...9000 ..........w/60-2.........................................Saab 240
21. Jon Wøllo....aka SuperG..Norge................w/60-2 .........................urple">.BMW 228

22. Jered Willhite....aka Jerd...Vancouver, WA..........w/ 60-2................TBA

Look this over and correct in needed.....machines are whirring away.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2011 10:29AM by john vanlandingham.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Final calls for bolt circles
January 24, 2012 11:03AM
john vanlandingham
here's the list:

02. Hallvard Buer aka RS1.w 60-2 and custom bolt circle?
03. Eric Olsen aka Poik....w 60-2..DUAL PATTERN Saab 240 + Volvo 215

06. Mattias Mellum aka Matti.....................w 60-2..........................................Saab 240
07. Taliessin Penfound aka vertigosity..(2)..w 60-2.........................................Saab 240
08. Taliessin Penfound................................w 60-2.........................................Saab 240
09. Alex Nordenson aka Manimal................w 60-2.........................................Saab 240
10. Albatros Kunkannennen aka megulon-7.w 60-2......................................Cossie 242
11. Brian Smith aka brian smith......................60-2, ................................Volvo 215
12. Pat Darrow .........................................w/ 60-2.........................................Saab 240
13. Arne Saevik aka surre_sprett............ w/60-2...........................................urple">.BMW228
14. Dan Halli aka dhallilama.............................W/O..........................................Saab 240
15. Chris Floren aka Duder.........................w 60-2............................................Saab 240
16. Toby Eidelman aka Magnum TE............w60-2......DUAL VW 228 + .....Volvo 215
17.Simon Babbs aka sbaabs.......................w/60-2...........................................Saab 240
18. Preben Thunberg--Norge....................... w 60-2..........................................urple">BMW 228
19. Brian Havinga aka twofast242GT.............w/60-2.......DUAL ???.....................Saab 240
20. Dennis Havinga ..aka.."Dad"...9000 ..........w/60-2.........................................Saab 240
21. Jon Wøllo....aka SuperG..Norge................w/60-2 .........................urple">.BMW 228

22. Jered Willhite....aka Jerd...Vancouver, WA..........w/ 60-2................TBA

Look this over and correct in needed.....machines are whirring away.

Corrected.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Mylesofsmyles
:)
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
:)

January 24, 2012 01:53PM
What's this Cossi shiz about?

Like, uhhhh, whats' the difference between their 242mm dinner plate, and SLAAB's 242mm four course meal?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login