Mylesofsmyles
:)
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

Re: Round 2 JVAB steel flywheels for Volvo
November 21, 2011 05:57PM
Ohh, mine arrived this past week!!!

KK, so I borrowed a buddy's brass drift...but the only source of heat I've got is my kitchen oven....

Is that safe? smart? stupid?

How much heat for how long?

Kinda concerned about of heated traces of clutch dust.

Suggestions????????
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Ascona73
Bob Legere
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1971 Opel Ascona

November 21, 2011 06:23PM
Place the ring gear in an oven. A few hundred degrees is enough.

Place flywheel in freezer for 30 minutes. They will practically push on by hand, but you have to work fast, as the metals normalize in temp things will get tight very quickly.
Mylesofsmyles
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

November 21, 2011 06:42PM
I put my old flywheel in the oven for 10 minutes at 350....ring gear came right off.

Had the new flywheel in the freezer....either it wasn't cold enough or the ring gear wasn't hot enough cuz it was a bitch.....

Flywheel is back in the freezer....gonna give it another half hour, and reheat the ring gear for 10 minutes at 350......

This is cake!

Tomorrow, i've gotta find a set of very-near calipers so I can figure which end of the dowels to insert, then this biatch is going on!

Clutch will come, some day.
Mylesofsmyles
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

November 21, 2011 07:13PM
All done...

Worked like a charm!

Literally, didn't do anything beyond drop the gear on the flywheel....didn't even have to persuade it at all.

Got the dowel pins in....now concerned about that though, as the holes in the pressure plate appear too small....is the pin just a guide, or does the pin need to go through the hole in the pressure plate?
alkun
Albert Kun
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

November 21, 2011 08:21PM
clean paint out off holes on PP?
Mylesofsmyles
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

November 22, 2011 01:56AM
yep...checked again...that's all she needs. Thanks Al!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 22, 2011 03:11AM
Mylesofsmyles

Well Myles i see the same bullshit that has sickened me to the point of writing off the group at Turbobricks is at work unabated at Brickspeed.
Alden Merchant window breaker talking all tough about the block contact that the first run flywheels have--not even 1/2" that needs to be kissed down about 1mm "Why I would ...demand he fix it"

I apologize to you that you'll have to spend the 8-10 seconds to kiss down that little rib thing Myles. I'm sorry.

But I think somebody needs to remind cocksucker punk shitheads who talk of what they'll demand this or demand that, that their alternative is a big fat nothing--or carved up iron...

I am flat fed up with jerks acting stupid.
The window jerker boy is evidently too dim to understand that he is in second run where the 1mm contact thing--a suggestion from Bob the machinist that I without thinking of contact went along with---that we add 1mm to support the ring gear securely---is taken care of.

I'm asking you, since I have given you lots of time helping you with projects to sorta gently suggest that cocksuckers need to learn some humanity, and shut their stupid ignorant mouths about "demanding' anything.

I am that fed up.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Mylesofsmyles
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

November 22, 2011 03:56AM
Damn dude, that's the harsh treatment....

Gotta say though, how could one expect BS to have any less bs than TB....it's all the same characters in the same format.....this is just the place everyone goes when the chaos is just too much at TB.

I get it all the time, in person.....entitled pricks raging and making demands. I'm glad I don't have to put up with it on the interwebz too, but I don't take that shit in person....playing tough guy don't really work for me...I suppose it's easy to look cool on the interwebzzz, even when your a redundant pile of protoplasm, but people skills and understanding carry with you, everywhere.

That said....it's worth having you around over on BS...I think you're an asset to the community (though I didn't know you had a user name there till just now). There's actually a fair amount to like about BS than TB...sure it's a lot of the same, but there's a much better mix, or ratio of smart, resourceful motorists....more concerned about being thorough and doing things right than simply being the coolest internet celebrity with the fastest Volvo.

I really hope starting that thread didn't sturr up some shit....wasn't the idea....I just wanted to post a thread for those of us with the flywheel to collaborate on notes to make fitment a breeze for everyone....

I think the only bummer about the block grinding is that I just gave Ken his angle grinder back, lolz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2011 10:10PM by Mylesofsmyles.
Magnum TE
Toby Eidelman
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 Volvo 940T (tarmac dweller)

November 22, 2011 09:04AM
Hey John, as per or phone conversation I'd like to change to a 62-2 pattern with Kennedy 228mm (that's the one right?) and Volvo 215mm PP patterns.

RE: grinding the block... I guess people forget that in order to install the dam flywheel you've got to expose that part of the block anyhow. so it's like zero extra effort to get in there and zap the tiny piece of metal that needs grinding. You've already got your face right in front of the thing, I don't see it as an issue to spend 10min adapting the block for a REAL performance flywheel.

Miles you could probably do it with a hand file in 10min. or a dremmel. or even a drill with lapping paper around a bit, like used for porting.
alkun
Albert Kun
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

November 22, 2011 10:36AM
Myles,

I'll swing by with an angle grinder this afternoon. I never leave home without it.

-Al
Mylesofsmyles
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

November 22, 2011 12:48PM
Lolz, good man....

Everything is ready to go....just gotta face those spots and I'm golden.

Call me when when you're coming up...I should be around most of today.
WindowsBreakerG4
Professional Moderator

November 22, 2011 02:08PM
john vanlandingham
Mylesofsmyles

Well Myles i see the same bullshit that has sickened me to the point of writing off the group at Turbobricks is at work unabated at Brickspeed.
Alden Merchant window breaker talking all tough about the block contact that the first run flywheels have--not even 1/2" that needs to be kissed down about 1mm "Why I would ...demand he fix it"

I apologize to you that you'll have to spend the 8-10 seconds to kiss down that little rib thing Myles. I'm sorry.

But I think somebody needs to remind cocksucker punk shitheads who talk of what they'll demand this or demand that, that their alternative is a big fat nothing--or carved up iron...

The window jerker boy is evidently too dim to understand that he is in second run where the 1mm contact thing--a suggestion from Bob the machinist that I without thinking of contact went along with---that we add 1mm to support the ring gear securely---is taken care of.

I'm asking you, since I have given you lots of time helping you with projects to sorta gently suggest that cocksuckers need to learn some humanity, and shut their stupid ignorant mouths about "demanding' anything.

I am that fed up.

Wow guess I struck a nerve. I realize I am in the second batch, but I also realize that if someone hadn't installed it you would have never found the issue, that annoys me. It also annoys me that if you know of an issue you wouldn't contact me in some way apologizing letting me know there is an issue.

I shouldn't have been the one letting myles know he had to grind the block no matter how slight of an amount.

I appreciate you making these, I really do, but at the same time, if you make something it should fit. When you have to grind something (even if it's only a slight amount) it doesn't fit. I would expect the person making something to have tested something before they put it into production (which if you had you would have avoided all of this).

I apologize for sending you flying off the handle John, let me know when you want the rest of my money
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 22, 2011 02:54PM
WindowsBreakerG4
john vanlandingham
Mylesofsmyles

I am that fed up.

Wow guess I struck a nerve. I realize I am in the second batch, but I also realize that if someone hadn't installed it you would have never found the issue, that annoys me. It also annoys me that if you know of an issue you wouldn't contact me in some way apologizing letting me know there is an issue.

I shouldn't have been the one letting myles know he had to grind the block no matter how slight of an amount.

I appreciate you making these, I really do, but at the same time, if you make something it should fit. When you have to grind something (even if it's only a slight amount) it doesn't fit. I would expect the person making something to have tested something before they put it into production (which if you had you would have avoided all of this).

I apologize for sending you flying off the handle John, let me know when you want the rest of my money

You want me to return your deposit?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
WindowsBreakerG4
Professional Moderator

November 22, 2011 04:08PM
No I want a flywheel that fits. Sounds like you have your issues sorted now.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

November 22, 2011 04:33PM
Custom small-batch parts sometimes require some tweaking, especially when not being financed by some big aftermarket company that can afford to have several different examples of car around to do extensive testing.

If you want something that bolts in, go buy a steel flywheel at ipd. Oh, wait, they don't sell them, do they?

John, I guess you need to put a disclaimer on your stuff to the effect of "these are custom parts, sometimes unanticipated fitment issues may occur) in type big enough and words small enough that even the most over-medicated Limbaugh listener can understand. grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login