Posted by reecers 
reecers
Reece
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

Re: colt or civic
September 16, 2014 04:28PM
yea emailed the colt about suspension, also sheetmetal, you can make your own body panels right? lol and windshield, is there anything against lexan? Or is that an expensive option for windshield. I was just looking around and have the money to drop on a car and not go through the headache of building one, I just don't want to spend extra money for more car than is necessary to get on the stage.

I know what it is like to drive a slow car fast, this is my friend in our 1982 wagon

the one that bounces around at the beginningish of the video

I am not an alien

Koolaid on specialstage just an FYI
Please Login or Register to post a reply
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 16, 2014 08:57PM
Windshield needs to be stock glass, Lexan scratches under wiper blades anyway. Glass is a big problem on some older cars. You'll end up with the one you're working on and two or three more in the yard for parts.

What are you used to driving? Some guys are fast in Hondas (not me) and there is an absolute ton of help and parts available.

RWD tends to be stronger and usually a heck of a lot easier to upgrade.

The 240 thing is not a bad option. They are quite pathetic stock but JV can guide you to a few upgrades to make them fun. If you can find an Autopower type cage kit that won't be a big deal. They lived much longer than most of their contemporaries and as such are still sitting around for cheap and seem to be in stock at the wreckers in the big cities.

I hate to see you toss good money away in an attempt to get on stage sooner and not reach your goal. Legacies make great rally cars, the 2.2 works and the 2.5 works better and you have one already. Lots of existing knowledge, John has the suspension down pat, lots of room in the car also.

Two wrongs don't make a right..but 3 lefts do. Think it over.
reecers
Reece
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 17, 2014 12:06AM
well i had a civic coupe that i really enjoyed, but have been codriving a 2.5rs for rallycross. Haven't been in RWD yet. I just know i want to go the buy not build route. And group 2 seems the way to go to have more fun for your money. I am not looking to be super competitive. I am looking to go around corners faster than the other guy, not the straights.

also looky i found a windshield lol

http://www.glassrack.net/wigldoco2doh.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=83784976821

I am not an alien

reecers
Reece
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 17, 2014 07:40AM
The car has leaf springs in the rear and a pretty standard looking spring/strut setup in the front. I actually have another set of springs/struts for the front. I did briefly look into new springs and struts and I figured out the spring weight I would have needed but that is as far as I got and I honestly don't remember the numbers that I found for the springs.
Since I had a backup set it was never a huge priority to follow up on.

that is from Chris with the colt

I am not an alien

heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 17, 2014 09:24AM
I wouldn't get all hung up on the suspension..it has some and it works to some degree. Chrysler used to sell the rally stuff over the counter at the dealership. Several of us have the factory rally prep manuals copied. It likely won't be the whizbang stuff of nowadays but it still can be made to work good enough to have fun.
reecers
Reece
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 17, 2014 10:18AM
Aaron Luptak
99% certain that's Ryan McLaughlin's old civic - older picture (and some details, like the fact that it's a re-shell) on here http://rally460.com/about/

(The MINI hood scoop crammed in there is the giveaway)

by the way the civic is from Michael huffman.

I am not an alien

wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

September 17, 2014 10:38AM
Colt.

You can use Bilstein strut inserts from a superbug/914 for the front with a spacer (7" travel!) and Jeep CJ rear shocks. I've got the part numbers buried somewhere.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

September 17, 2014 10:50AM
old colt's ftw

though I might be a bit biased as I have a 74 and 76 (and the roommate is currently building a group5 75)
imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

September 17, 2014 11:51AM
A1337STI

I definitely feel you on the "everyone rallies a subaru" i love subarus but i agree its way lame when 10 subarus come down the stage in a row, all sounding the same doing basically the same thing..

I guess that's important if you're a spectator. But if you're competing and just out to have fun and enjoy performing at your best and improving from event to event, how does that matter? The parts availability and strength of the basic shell is hard to match, even in a first gen Impreza.

Don Kennedy
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 17, 2014 12:07PM
wvonkessler
Colt.

You can use Bilstein strut inserts from a superbug/914 for the front with a spacer (7" travel!) and Jeep CJ rear shocks. I've got the part numbers buried somewhere.

And those will cost him more $ and annoyance than just getting normal ones--with the right travel and the right valving..and a choice of the top pin.. Like he could choose to use Subaru top mount....or a big fat pin...
But hey it came off a Portch
And what is the valving on the CJ shocks..?
Don't you guys give a shit about getting close to correct when you're telling guys how to spend their money?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
reecers
Reece
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 17, 2014 02:29PM
well have to be honest, honda although an annoying twerp of a car, I have experience with them. It seems there might be some decent blisteins out there for cheap? Also like John said, it will be more of a hunt for Colt parts. The sound of leaf springs doesn't sound very forgiving. Although I have no idea what kind of shock a leaf spring can take. Plus that colt looks rusty where as the civic doesn't. I have also figured out how to torture myself. 1400 mile drive from NY where the civic is actually located. 1400 miles at hopefully 25mpg 3.50 average gas price gives me 200-300 dollars in gas and 180 dollar one way ticket to syracuse from oklahoma city. Seems very do able. Might have to stay at a motel 8 for 50 bucks smiling smiley

I am not trying the old, I will only hear what I want to hear, but I wrote out a list and the honda comes out in front. Just because I want to rally with one of these for 5 years or more and the colt in 5 years will become even more of a unicorn, while hopefully all the hondas won't disappear off the map.

This is about which car is more headaches, and seems the honda might be less with some better suspension and make sure I don't rip axles to shreds. I definitely could be wrong and that is why I post on Rally anarchy so you guys can tell me smiling smiley

I am not an alien

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 17, 2014 03:06PM
reecers
Aaron Luptak
99% certain that's Ryan McLaughlin's old civic - older picture (and some details, like the fact that it's a re-shell) on here http://rally460.com/about/

Mike bought the car from Ryan who built it by welding in the cage from the rolled red Civic into a new shell. (rolled by Mitch Williams but owned/built by Brian McGuire, cage done by Brian Moody)

Grant Hughes
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

September 17, 2014 03:14PM
I don't know. Cost $400 to do. Never broke.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

September 17, 2014 03:29PM
imnotcrazy
A1337STI

I definitely feel you on the "everyone rallies a subaru" i love subarus but i agree its way lame when 10 subarus come down the stage in a row, all sounding the same doing basically the same thing..

I guess that's important if you're a spectator. But if you're competing and just out to have fun and enjoy performing at your best and improving from event to event, how does that matter? The parts availability and strength of the basic shell is hard to match, even in a first gen Impreza.

So true, That's what i rally in, 1st gen impreza. *shrugs* i love it , but i'm not past admitting that ya its kinda lame for the spectators that everyone rallies an impreza... .. not about to jump into something radical just to make for a better show though...
reecers
Reece
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 17, 2014 03:55PM
NoCoast
reecers
Aaron Luptak

Mike bought the car from Ryan who built it by welding in the cage from the rolled red Civic into a new shell. (rolled by Mitch Williams but owned/built by Brian McGuire, cage done by Brian Moody)

Thanks for the inside scoop

I am not an alien

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login