Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

DirtyImpreza.com Project Rally RS – Episode 2 – HID Lights
April 04, 2008 04:40PM

Title: Project Rally RS – Episode 2 – HID Lights
Runtime: 3:29
Release Date: 4/2/08

The Project Rally RS saga continues, and in this episode we document the installation of six 4” Fuego HID lights (Soltek Light Systems / Baja Designs). These lights will be used to improve visibility on those dark night stages. The entire installation was custom, from having machined aluminum brackets from Jackson Rally to hold the wide cornering HID’s in the OEM fog light positions, to designing and wiring all the electrical components.

Each light contains its own internal ballast and weighs in at a mere 3.5 lbs. Four of these lights are attached to our custom Jackson Rally GC light bar, these particular Fuegos feature “Driving” lenses for superior beam penetration into the darkest night roads. Fitted into the stock fog light positions is two more Fuego lights, these feature “wide cornering” lenses for a broader field of vision. This should be helpful when sliding through corners on the loose stuff.

The electrical components were tricky, but nothing that can’t be handled by someone with minimal understanding of relays and fuses. The 3 universal relays are mounted in a splash-proof Hella relay block, which is fed by a splash-proof ATC fuse block using 30A fuses. Both of these boxes have been mounted to the inside of the engine compartment. The relays are controlled by 3 toggle switches in the cabin which are tied into the factory high-beam switch to be NASA compliant (Article 3.2.1.1 Section 4). The light output from this system is truly awesome!

If you want to learn more about the DirtyImpreza.com Project Rally RS check out our journal here

-Aaron
http://www.dirtyimpreza.com
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Tim Taylor
Tim Taylor
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda 323 GTX

Re: DirtyImpreza.com Project Rally RS – Episode 2 – HID Lights
April 04, 2008 05:15PM
spam...
409industries
Aaron Ekinaka
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

This isn't spam at all. Im not selling anything, just thought other rally enthusiasts might be interested in an alternative to light pods...

-Aaron
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

April 04, 2008 09:27PM
not spam, but maybe should be in 'construction zone' i'm sure it'll get moved appropriately.

Jon Burke - KI6LSW
Blog: http://psgrallywrx.blogspot.com/
Tim Taylor
Tim Taylor
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda 323 GTX

April 04, 2008 10:01PM
I was referring to a site administrator of skankyimpreza.com making his first post contain 5 URL references and a hot link to his site. But this is Rally Anarchy so your post will stay along with my comments. Nothing gets censored here and nothing gets moved.
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

April 04, 2008 10:25PM
Tim Taylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was referring to a site administrator of
> skankyimpreza.com making his first post contain 5
> URL references and a hot link to his site. But
> this is Rally Anarchy so your post will stay along
> with my comments. Nothing gets censored here and
> nothing gets moved.

LOL.

I'm in SF....grab a beer sometime? Always looking to meet some local rally guys.

Jon Burke - KI6LSW
Blog: http://psgrallywrx.blogspot.com/
409industries
Aaron Ekinaka
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

skankyimpreza! Hah i love it. smiling smiley

-Aaron
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

April 08, 2008 09:45PM
A couple days later...

Personally, I think this is the sort of thing that works for rally. Here's a guy building a rally car. Looks to me like he lives in an apartment and does as much work as he can on his balcony and in his parking garage. No doubt much to the chagrin of his neighbors/HOA. When all is said and done, he's got a sharply produced video up on YouTube and his site, which caters to Subarat owners who "Move to a Different Sound" (to use a previous DI video soundtrack), exposes more and more enthusiasts to the real reason why their cars were designed (and it's not to jerk off down a drag strip).

Who wouldn't want another sponsor to throw some cash/product/discount their way? People throw around "added value" all the time, but if Soltek is supporting Aaron's rally car build, why shouldn't he be allowed to make mention of their namesake?

Hell. I was following along with this project build on DirtyImpreza.com and, upon seeing those lights, was all over the Soltek site to get more information. His getting that car out on the road and online like this gets his sponsors exposure, but it also gets rally some exposure too. People are seeing that car, thinking it's cool, and wanting to know more about it and more about rally as a result.

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

April 08, 2008 11:15PM
wow, those are not cheap.

that is about 2400 dollars worth of lights according to the Baja Designs online store prices.

the light pattern from the in car at the end looked pretty good.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 08, 2008 11:48PM
Greg Donovan Wrote:
> wow, those are not cheap.
>
> that is about 2400 dollars worth of lights
> according to the Baja Designs online store prices.
>
>
> the light pattern from the in car at the end
> looked pretty good.

Yeah well it seems thats right up there for what the boys on DirtyImpretzel need to pay, cause they're going prove to the world who great rallycross boys are and they're going to dominate.......

...............once they build their cars and put cages in and do a driver school and find a race.....................

in several years.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
409industries
Aaron Ekinaka
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

We can't all start at the top, so you have to start somewhere right? Rallycross is a great place for most people to get their feet wet, since the majority of aspiring drivers don't have much cash to dive head first into the stage rally game.

If it takes a 2-3 years... so what. I was looking around at the CRS awards banquet a few months ago, and theres lots of guys two and three times my age still rallying. Its never to late to get into it, even if it takes a while.

once they build their cars and put cages in and do a driver school and find a race...
...in several years.

Is that supposed to be some kind of insult? Way to go, I hope it feels good trying to put someone down who with is in the early stages of getting into some serious rallying.

Most everywhere else i've discussed this build both on the net and in person, there has been nothing but advice, support, and kind words. I don't get why theres such negative criticism here...

:confused:

-Aaron
Eddie Fiorelli
Eddie Fiorelli
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
mk2 VW GTI

April 09, 2008 01:27AM
Heh, if you are building a 2001 Imprezza 2.5RS I'd say that's starting pretty high up there. If you really wanted to do stage rally, you should thinking about rallying an affordable car now. Sure it might not be OBDII even, but you'd be rallying. smiling smiley

Indeed, imo rallycross is a good intro to rally, but it seems like rallycrossers place this barrier between them and stage rally. On a stage its just you, alone, drive as slow as you want. The learning curve is up to you. It is not mandatory to learn the ropes at rallycrosses. I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to give you my feel for some of the misunderstanding from rallyists to rallycrossers.

Anyway, the last thing I'd be worrying about is lighting if I was serious about rallying. I know its tough when it seems like you are being insulted, but I'd take John's words as a challenge and encouragement to actually step up. The sport needs more competitors.

Regardless, I liked the video and thought it was well done. It is definitely good to promote the sport anyway you can, every little bit helps. smiling smiley

409industries
Aaron Ekinaka
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

Eddie,

I hear you loud and clear. Understood is the fact that starting in an AWD car (NA at least) is not where most people start, it was a commitment I am willing to make even if it means getting spanked by the seasoned PGT veterans. Rally school is definitley in the cards too (Tim Oneil's)

Lighting was never my highest priority, but an opportunity arose where Soltek was interested in getting into the rally market and I jumped on it, made a little video, etc, etc. So thats kinda where that all came from, it really isn't anything that i need at all right now, the car still has its fair share of problems.

I hope i didn't come off as overly defensive to John's remarks, but at the same time its counterproductive to haze someone thats is excited about the motorsport we all love.

Thanks for the honest input about the stage vs. rallycross mentality, i don't think that you were being a dick at all, i believe there is quite a bit of truth behind what you said.

I see you're out in LB, I hope to see you at one of the upcoming events to introduce myself in person sometime!

-Aaron
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

April 09, 2008 02:04AM
john vanlandingham Wrote:
> Greg Donovan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > wow, those are not cheap.
> >
> > that is about 2400 dollars worth of lights
> > according to the Baja Designs online store
> prices.
> >
> >
> > the light pattern from the in car at the end
> > looked pretty good.
>
> Yeah well it seems thats right up there for what
> the boys on DirtyImpretzel need to pay, cause
> they're going prove to the world who great
> rallycross boys are and they're going to
> dominate.......
all i know is that 2400 would have gotten me a pretty nice compliant cage from Doug Davenport here in MN. although i am sure that this guy didnt pay that much for the lights. at least i hope he didnt after viewing the baja design site.

on a related note i rallycross for a couple reasons. the biggest one being that i know i cant afford to rally properly and i want to play around in the dirt. i dont view it as a stepping stone to rally. i view it as a pretty damn good way to spend a sunday afternoon with some friends and family. the competition is just a bonus.

i am 100% sure that if i drove in a rally the way i do in a rallycross i would probably die within the first couple miles of the first stage.

i do think it is pretty cool what these guys are doing but i would hope that people that want to rally would spend 2400 on car prep rather than lights. that being said the mounting methods they showed could be used on 20 dollar wal-mart lights too, or even middle of the road 100 dollar halogens.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 09, 2008 02:07AM
409industries Wrote:
> We can't all start at the top, so you have to
> start somewhere right? Rallycross is a great place
> for most people to get their feet wet, since the
> majority of aspiring drivers don't have much cash
> to dive head first into the stage rally game.
>
> If it takes a 2-3 years... so what. I was looking
> around at the CRS awards banquet a few months ago,
> and theres lots of guys two and three times my age
> still rallying. Its never to late to get into it,
> even if it takes a while.

You missed the irony.
Everybody is a hero in advance.

>
Quoteyawning smileynce they build their cars and put cages in
> and do a driver school and find a race...
> ...in several years.
>
> Is that supposed to be some kind of insult? Way to
> go, I hope it feels good trying to put someone
> down who with is in the early stages of getting
> into some serious rallying.

Its a reference to absurd cockiness in Scuzzyimpreztle.
>
> Most everywhere else i've discussed this build
> both on the net and in person, there has been
> nothing but advice, support, and kind words. I
> don't get why theres such negative criticism
> here...
>
> :confused:

Its only because we've been subjected to extremes of bullshitting and braying by several guys who brag about their "victories" and their "career plans" and their "professional relationships", just Blah blah blah.
Pure hypped up bullshit for what is certainly fun, but ultimately totally worthless.

Also we've read the little self congratulatory stuff on the fan-boy sites which seem full of rage and hate directed generally at anybody is just doesn't want to fall down worshiping guys rally-Exing Subarus, and specifically at this site and me in particular.

See most people don't like it when we know somebody like Jon Burke is acting all buddy buddy to your face but in his little coterie of 1st and second gear heroes, he's calling you names, and getting e +1s.
It sucks.

Build your car, I've helped plenty of Subaru guys with parts, advice, built a couple of Regional Winning STI motors, done 40 and 50mm suspension for Leones, Legacies, and various Imprezas, and I'll help you if you ask.

But we don't want or need to hear the same old hype.

HYPE is what's wrong with rally in USA.

>
>
>
> -Aaron
>

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2008 02:12AM by john vanlandingham.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login