tedm
Ted Mendham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
once upon a time drove WRX, Sentra, SAAB 99

Re: DirtyImpreza.com Project Rally RS – Episode 2 – HID Lights
April 09, 2008 08:41AM
$2400 worth of lights to rally-X?
You can buy Hella 4000 HID pod lamps, ballasts and pods for less.
Do they even hold rally-Xs at night on the left coast?

Why get a show car dirty?

Ted Mendham
www.rensport.net
Please Login or Register to post a reply
409industries
Aaron Ekinaka
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

First off the $2400 thing needs to just be put to rest. I did not pay retail for these lights, and if you could get a set of very nice HID's for the cost of some halogen Hellas... wouldn't you?

The cockyness aspect of skankyimpreza/Dirtyimpretzel/cockyimpreza/etc (BTW keep these coming, they're actually pretty funny! Anyway the cockyness that you're mentioning is new to me, Its good to hear your opinion, so thank you for that. I didn't know the members at our site came off this way. Not much i can do about that though i guess... its still racing though, so a certain amount of arrogance should be expected from any group of guys thats out racing whether it be in a small lot with cones our out on stage.

John, you are absolutely right though. There is just so much hype, and thats bad and good for the sport in a way. Every driver has his/her own level of pride and some express it through words on forums, others will be more modest and let their driving do the talking.

Personally i don't care if someone wants to rally something other than a Subaru. I actually encourage people to come to Dirtycockpreza that dont have Subarus. We have a lot of visitors that are Mitsu / Suzuki / Mazda drivers... These people aren't into big time competition and just want to hangout with guys driving around having fun in the dirt and mud. Thats what its all about! :-)

And this ain't no show car, it's being prepped for a rollcage at the shop as we speak. Its not just going to sit around (trying) to look pretty!

-Aaron
http://www.dirtyimpreza.com
Eddie Fiorelli
Eddie Fiorelli
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
mk2 VW GTI

April 09, 2008 12:22PM
>> Dirtycockpreza

That's the spirit Aaron!

I think everyone should be forewarned, John is really good at using Google. When I spoke to him, he knew more about me than my parents do (like what I did at school, etc etc).

I haven't visited the site in question, but I don't see anything wrong with hyping yourself in good fun within your respective community. But I suppose "good fun" hype is not what these issues are about.
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

April 09, 2008 01:15PM
i dont think the 2400 dollar thing needs to be put to rest. gald to see you didnt pay that much. very smart on your part. but it did put you in a spot where you need to endorse a very expensive product that beginners dont need. i understand that you can not agree with me because that would look really bad to your sponsor. and again hats off to you for swingin' a deal like that.

a couple of things i would like to know about these HIDs:

i would assume that the reason each light is so expensive is due to the internal ballast. what happens when you take out these lights when (not if but when) you stuff the car? will the ballast be re-useable or are you stuck buying another light/ballast combo?

oh, and JVL knows his shit. occasionally he is also full of it too but that isnt my point. i wasted too much time butting heads with him in the past. key word there is wasted. yes, he rivals andy rooney for the title of biggest crumudgeon ever but he knows his stuff. filter out the sarcasm and you will see that he has some good advice. thanks to him and jake himes i am now hooked on old 70's rwd cars.
409industries Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First off the $2400 thing needs to just be put to
> rest. I did not pay retail for these lights, and
> if you could get a set of very nice HID's for the
> cost of some halogen Hellas... wouldn't you?
>
> The cockyness aspect of
> skankyimpreza/Dirtyimpretzel/cockyimpreza/etc (BTW
> keep these coming, they're actually pretty funny!
> Anyway the cockyness that you're mentioning is new
> to me, Its good to hear your opinion, so thank you
> for that. I didn't know the members at our site
> came off this way. Not much i can do about that
> though i guess... its still racing though, so a
> certain amount of arrogance should be expected
> from any group of guys thats out racing whether it
> be in a small lot with cones our out on stage.
>
> John, you are absolutely right though. There is
> just so much hype, and thats bad and good for the
> sport in a way. Every driver has his/her own level
> of pride and some express it through words on
> forums, others will be more modest and let their
> driving do the talking.
>
> Personally i don't care if someone wants to rally
> something other than a Subaru. I actually
> encourage people to come to Dirtycockpreza that
> dont have Subarus. We have a lot of visitors that
> are Mitsu / Suzuki / Mazda drivers... These people
> aren't into big time competition and just want to
> hangout with guys driving around having fun in the
> dirt and mud. Thats what its all about! :-)
>
> And this ain't no show car, it's being prepped for
> a rollcage at the shop as we speak. Its not just
> going to sit around (trying) to look pretty!
>
>
> -Aaron
>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2008 01:19PM by Greg Donovan.
409industries
Aaron Ekinaka
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

I'm going to endorse a product since I am using it, and am very happy with the performance. I dont feel its my responsibility to think about posting something like the video above because it might make some noob to rallying think hes has to spend money on those lights, thats not the point. The point is to say hey look i've installed these lights, aren't they neat. Its up to newbies or seasoned rally veterans to decide if thats something that they "need" or not.

The technical questions regarding the internal ballasts and bulb changes would need to be directed to Soltek/Baja Designs as I do not know the answer. Something worth checking into though.

Greg, ill take your advice though and respect JVL's opinions, since hes been in this game a lot longer than most. Thanks for looking out for me and suggesting not getting into futle debates. Life's too short.

-Aaron
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

April 09, 2008 04:26PM
john vanlandingham Wrote:
> Also we've read the little self congratulatory
> stuff on the fan-boy sites which seem full of rage
> and hate directed generally at anybody is just
> doesn't want to fall down worshiping guys
> rally-Exing Subarus, and specifically at this site
> and me in particular.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum. Hope you do take a moment each day to remember that there are still a large number of people out there - seasoned vets and excitable no0bs such as myself - who recognize that you're seeking to help them get more out of their investment from square one. And that we sincerely appreciate it!

At the same time, thank you for offering so much advice, even if some of us still want to stick with an overly complex, Japanese AWD platform. Speaking for myself, I know that I like the idea of using the Gaylant to bring rally home to the Mitsubishi fanboys out there on the interwebs. I suspect Aaron might be similarly inclined on the Sco0b side of the fence.

Regardless of predisposition towards one platform or another, the awesome thing about this site is that people who know what's up can rest easy knowing there's still a place out there to get a straight answer without drama and petty grudges getting in the way. Makes me all warm and fuzzy... kinda like half an hour after El Blendero arrives at the party. winking smiley

409industries Wrote:
> Dirtyimpretzel

Would you be terribly offended if I borrowed the font you used on your decals and made myself one that said this for the Galant? That would be crazy delicious.

409industries Wrote:
> Personally i don't care if someone wants to rally
> something other than a Subaru. I actually
> encourage people to come to Dirtycockpreza that
> dont have Subarus. We have a lot of visitors that
> are Mitsu / Suzuki / Mazda drivers... These people
> aren't into big time competition and just want to
> hangout with guys driving around having fun in the
> dirt and mud. Thats what its all about! :-)

Ask any rally driver how many people have told him they are hooked and are going to build their own rally car, but never managed to make it happen, and I bet you get a double digit answer. I'm pretty sure this is where JVL is coming from. I've still got a hardon for my Mitsu project, but in owning a Volvo 245 for barely a month, I can already see how 100% right he is about things. I can replace the entire suspension system on this old refrigerator of mine for less than a head gasket replacement on the 4G63. Crazy.

At the end of the day, we all have to sleep in the beds we've made. People like JVL just want us to be more comfortable and there's no need to sugar coat anything, so they tell it like it is. It's what keeps me coming back to this place.

409industries Wrote:
> And this ain't no show car, it's being prepped for
> a rollcage at the shop as we speak. Its not just
> going to sit around (trying) to look pretty!

What? Are you poking fun at my Misterbichy which sits going on ten weeks, now? Or were you talking about all the Xratty garage ornaments around here?

Haha.

EDITS: Weeks, not months and final touches on another one of my wordy, blather-filled posts. Cheers!

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2008 04:30PM by DR1665.
409industries
Aaron Ekinaka
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

You have my blessing if you want to make "DirtyImpreztel" stickers. Knock yourself out... LOL!

-Aaron
Soltek Lighting
Chris Chapman
Mega Moderator

Greg Donovan Wrote:
> a couple of things i would like to know about
> these HIDs:
>
> i would assume that the reason each light is so
> expensive is due to the internal ballast. what
> happens when you take out these lights when (not
> if but when) you stuff the car? will the ballast
> be re-useable or are you stuck buying another
> light/ballast combo?
>

Hello All, I just wanted to chime in and answer a couple of questions quickly. Our Soltek HID lights use Osram Sylvania Gen. 5 ballasts which are OEM quality and used by many auto manufacturers. These ballasts ave very compact and reliable which allows for internal installation which also serves to protect them from the elements. These are very expensive high end ballasts but are race proven and engineered with professional racers in mind. We do offer Halogen and LED product as well.

Installation is a simple two wire hook-up using supplied weatherpack connectors which are nice for teams who remove their lights for daytime stages. These lights weigh only 2 pounds 6 ounces and we offer 4 beam patterns to tailor your lighting. Our Wide-Cornering lens offers incredible peripheral vision and we feel that Rally drivers will find these very useful. We often re-build and replace components from crash damaged lights so customer do not have to replace anything they do not need.

We have mainly dealt with local enthusiast because it allows us to inspect mounting options and product fitment as well as do some testing. We are currently looking into Pod installation as well for enthusiasts who prefer this. If you have any other questions I would be glad to answer them.

Chris

krisdahl
Kris Dahl
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Integra, Civic

April 09, 2008 07:51PM
Poor guy. Has no idea that this isn't your normal play nice type forum.

Taking it in good stride though. Congrats--I like him already because he didn't buckle or start freaking out when JVL started leaning into him.

Anyway, yeah I think what it is that got some folks pissed off is that this is basically first post, and it was about something that (for the folks that are on this forum) is essentially 'bling'. Lights are really cool, but ultimately not that important in American rally. We all have them but really it is like lowest priority on stage rally cars.

As to Baja Designs / Soltek, I actually have a customer service experience with them. My motorcycle had a Baja Designs HID retrofit on it when I bought it. After about a year the ballast would just kick off, and then after cooling down would kick back on. Made for a long trip home one night. Anyway I contacted them and they said they'd help me figure out what was going on, replace the ballast if needed (which was nice). When I took them up on the offer and asked for the information to get the unit replaced, I heard nothing from them for a couple of months, even though I followed up with them a couple times. Trying to find original emails. They didn't have to back up the product with a warranty (as I had no receipt or anything), but once offering it would have been nice if they followed through.

I put a standard bulb back in.

Then I got hit by a car, and the ballast must broken off, been swept up and thrown away as misc. broken bike parts, or stolen as it wasn't on the bike when I got it back from the wreckers.

Anyway, this was about 5 years ago though so is more about state of the customer service back then rather than now.

Cheers,
-k
SteelSolutions
William Timmins
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
3 xr4ti/74 capri/02 bug eye

April 09, 2008 08:57PM
Aaron check your messages on this form

TSSFAB.US No HYPE just parts!!!! And check us out on Facebook!!!
409industries
Aaron Ekinaka
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

Replied...

-Aaron
Richard Miller
Richard Miller
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 900T, Mustang now running

April 09, 2008 10:09PM
Welcome to the world of rally. And you really should try Special Stages. It has more civilized posters although for some of them, it is only because they are coerced into it.

RichardM
Richard Miller
Richard Miller
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 900T, Mustang now running

April 09, 2008 10:12PM
Oh noze, secret messages. You are plotting the over throw of the world. Wait, that is what anarchy is. Never mind. smiling smiley

RichardM
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

April 09, 2008 10:41PM
Richard Miller Wrote:
> Oh noze, secret messages. You are plotting the
> over throw of the world. Wait, that is what
> anarchy is. Never mind.

OMG ONOZ!

The raven flies at the stroke of noon. Code word: Spinal Asuza.

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

April 09, 2008 10:42PM
John, I take it as a personal compliment that you would call me out by name like that. :-)

Look Ma, I have a coterie!!!!

(btw, what's 'e+1s'?)

Aaron, nice work on the video.

Mr. Driggs...great posts, I agree with you 100%...I was looking forward to introducing myself at Ridgecrest, was disappointed when your car wasn't up for it.

Eddie F. I got to me at the Ridgecrest Rally Sprint 2 weeks ago....we only talked briefly, but I want you to know that I WOULD have talked shit about you behind your back (to my coterie), but was too excited to get into a rally car for the first time.

maybe next time, eh? winking smiley

"I'd take John's words as a challenge and encouragement to actually step up."

done and done. Keep'm coming John.

Jon Burke - KI6LSW
Blog: http://psgrallywrx.blogspot.com/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login