JohnLane
John Lane
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

Re: Various - new super star, STPR, hype
June 30, 2008 10:15AM
Gurlz gurlz gurlz!!!

Did we not just recently cover much of this in a thread entitled "Bullshit hype" or some such?

As I read it I must really be missing out on an opportunity to refer to myself as some manner of Superstar in rallying what with my bringing out my 32 year old POS car and beating the shit out of all the other 2wd competition (save for a certain pesky toothed rabbit that prolly does not rest in peace) in the pair of events I've been able to attend since getting to sit out for several years.

Yup, a schmuck who has not been out (or practicing!!) in several years comes back out and immediately not only beats all the two wheel drive 'competition,' but mops the floor with all the PGT (4X4) cars and farr too many of the 'National' competitors on tires that were exceptional only for how shitty they were.

Yup, Clearly I'm some manner of Superstar.

For those of us who are really thick..... I consider myself to be a schmuck who goes and plays in the woods with his friends when I can. I'm no hero.

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
Please Login or Register to post a reply
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 30, 2008 03:14PM
JohnLane Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gurlz gurlz gurlz!!!
>
> Did we not just recently cover much of this in a
> thread entitled "Bullshit hype" or some such?
>
> As I read it I must really be missing out on an
> opportunity to refer to myself as some manner of
> Superstar in rallying what with my bringing out my
> 32 year old POS car and beating the shit out of
> all the other 2wd competition (save for a certain
> pesky toothed rabbit that prolly does not rest in
> peace) in the pair of events I've been able to
> attend since getting to sit out for several
> years.
>
> Yup, a schmuck who has not been out (or
> practicing!!) in several years comes back out and
> immediately not only beats all the two wheel drive
> 'competition,' but mops the floor with all the
> PGT (4X4) cars and farr too many of the 'National'
> competitors on tires that were exceptional only
> for how shitty they were.
>
> Yup, Clearly I'm some manner of Superstar.
>
> For those of us who are really thick..... I
> consider myself to be a schmuck who goes and plays
> in the woods with his friends when I can. I'm no
> hero.
>
> JohnLane
>
> Overkill is consistently more fun

You're more of a Legendary Superstar .

SEANT
SEAN TENNIS
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
SAAB 99, SAAB 96 850, SAAB 99T, SAAB V4

June 30, 2008 04:21PM
Mr Lane, your infamous, but not for your success' but rather your actions when DNFing!!!

I'll say this: All "Superstars" no matter what line of gig, are over hyped, that's what PR is, that is where most legends come from with very, very few exceptions. The flip side is that there is a certain amount of look it can be done, this kid can do it, so can you!

This "so can you hype" is what the sport needs. The fact that someone is doing it is postive, in my opinion. Doesn't matter how we stack up to the rest of the world, atleast at this point. What does matter is that there are not enough folks doing it, both hype and able to compete.

Both JVL and GENE have made great points, and I think this is great dialoge. It would be even better if it would lead to something.

As always IMHO

SEAN TENNIS KF7JJR
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
SAAB 99, SAAB 850
SAAB V4, SAAB 99T
Rich Smith
Rich Smith
Junior Moderator

Truth Matters
June 30, 2008 06:05PM
SEANT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This "so can you hype" is what the sport needs.
> The fact that someone is doing it is postive, in
> my opinion. Doesn't matter how we stack up to the
> rest of the world, atleast at this point. What
> does matter is that there are not enough folks
> doing it, both hype and able to compete.
>

Sean,

Truth matters. So I'm gonna hafta take issue with part of what you've said. It important to keep things real. No reason "Promotion" can't be truthful.

Too often commercial advertising becomes little more than "institutional lying". Non-commercial Propoganda is much the same way. Few even expect the truth from it anymore. It's why most of us turn off the sound on TV commercials and ignore them on the internet as we look for real content. How often have you bought a product twice after you found it didn't work as promised?

"Hype" is inherently untruthful... and it always backfires. The only uncertainty is: "When and Who does it backfire on?"

I think it backfires hardest in the longrun. And that hurts the survival of the "Sport".

Rich Smith
mothra
Matt Smith
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

Re: Truth Matters
June 30, 2008 07:12PM
Lot's of good stuff being discussed here. I have seen some good PR and bad PR about US rally in recent years. The original PR about Kyle is good contains all factual information presented with an extra does of excitement. This is very different than a PR release doen some time back about someone winning RIM after huge changes to the stages, not on the national calendar, and low competition. THat one was streeeeetched facts and eeeeextra dose of excitement.

PR just be......Ken won event X but nobody fast showed up

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
JohnLane
John Lane
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

June 30, 2008 08:26PM
'Infamous.'

Sean I'm making a point of not DNF-ing anymore. Should I DNF those behind me may or may not be disappointed with not getting to see my hairy back-side.

I'm also making a point of bringing the car out in good enough shape that I need not concern myself with whether or not it will finish an event. Many many many little details go into making this happen. This is part of why I was away for several years.

I am wanting to be known as that guy who wows the spectators while the contents of the car are having a ball on the stages beating all but a few of the rediculously expensive cars who have fresh fuzzy Michelins with every service omong other things.

I'd be delighted if my doing so will parlay into some manner of sponsorship support, but have yet to see it except for those who have been very kind in helping with bodywork and glass.

Not to worry everyone. I'm not going to scare you on the stages as in the past.

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
Shenan
Shenandoah Bennett
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Does an old mountain bike count? Diecast miniature? Rally video game?

July 03, 2008 11:53PM
Eh, never mind.

-----------------------------
http://www.max-attack.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2008 11:07PM by Shenan.
Tom B
Tom B
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

July 06, 2008 07:57PM
Sarasin is very quick, hype is a way to sell. I would sell my soul to the devil to succeed in rally and make a living doing it. I'd love to see an american lumped in with the fastest rally guys in the world, if it takes hype to sell an american, then who does it hurt? Personally I don't see many people around the world that follow or give a rats ass about American rallying.

The hype that is being bitched about isn't even hype, its truth. There's nothing there that Sarasin hasn't done. He's being compared to all the big name RA boys because they are the quickest here and Sarasin has the ability to get close to their times with probably 1/10th the budget. Sarasin is a Superstar HERE, he is a Phenom in RALLY, HERE. From what I have seen is also pretty damn humble, quiet and loves racing just as much as anyone else...and isn't afraid to push when he needs to.

John, there is no way we will get a big field of cars out without some of the high dollar fast, cool looking cars...they are, in fact, a way to get kids out to try rally, you never know when a spectator is going to be the next driver or co-driver. If you have ever sat through the full field of an American rally you understand why people get bored of watching people not race. Not racing is NOT exciting, and excitement is the exact reason why anyone races.

The only reason why I started was because I caught a few WRC shows in the mid 90's on speedvision and thought, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in my life. Found out there were local rallies and went to a couple back in the days of Spitzner and saw some very quick action between Subaru and Mitsubishi Factory teams, then I saw something I hadn't seen before, Fuller in a fully sideways Volkswagen...now that was ridiculous. Loud Group A action and HORSEPOWER in a two wheel drive car....saw a sideways Volvo, saw a Sideways Saab and I realized that I could be out there in something ordinary RACING.

The key is to get people to RACE instead of leisurely putt around out there....getting more people to come out that want to RACE, keeping them RACING, and getting the support that comes from popularity of EXCITING RACING. you want to putt around? go TSD, it's slow and cheap.

-Tom
DemonRallyTeam | Fine Tuning | CTS Turbo & RP Turbos | RalleyTuned | JRM | Meister Autowerks
Spitfire EFI | Product Apparel | JVAB Imports | NLS | AP Tuning | USRT

Add us on Facebook | Next Event: 2013 Olympus Rally June 22-23 Olympia, WA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login