Posted by espacef1fan 
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

Re: Stupid Mustang Question...
February 15, 2011 11:06AM
Note the couple was always running away from the car...

My grandfather had one of those things...probably the best thing that can be said about it was that it wasn't stolen twice like the Gran Torino he had before it.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
heymagic
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

February 15, 2011 01:49PM
john vanlandingham
heymagic
I sold those things new back then... sad smiley

Have you no shame?

Nope, none, nada, but then I just sold them, never owned one. I did have a Cordoba though, with the fine Corinintian leather and a big block V8.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 15, 2011 02:15PM
heymagic
john vanlandingham
heymagic

Have you no shame?

Nope, none, nada, but then I just sold them, never owned one. I did have a Cordoba though, with the fine Corinintian leather and a big block V8.

Didya rrrrrroool yer Rs when you said Corrrrrrrrrdoba with Corrrrrrrrrin-thain leather?

Gotta roll yer Rs.
alkun
Albert Kun
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

February 15, 2011 02:18PM
That ad is the shizzle. I was expecting them to push it into the canal in the last scene.
gkd
George Doganis
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic

gkd
Re: Corinthian leather...
February 15, 2011 04:27PM
The funny part is that Korinthos is a Greek city that has nothing to do with leather expertise or manufacturing. It's only super minor automotive claim to fame is that it is located close to some of the Acropolis stages of the past.

George
heymagic
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

February 15, 2011 04:40PM
gkd
The funny part is that Korinthos is a Greek city that has nothing to do with leather expertise or manufacturing. It's only super minor automotive claim to fame is that it is located close to some of the Acropolis stages of the past.

George

Well Walter P Chrysler never let the truth get in the way of advertising....
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

February 15, 2011 05:05PM
Hey!!!

My first car was a Volare! But it was a field car... I was 15. I bought it for 100 bucks. It included a parts car that didn't run, the parts car had front fenders, the runner didn't.

We cut the rear fenders off, put big truck tires on the rear, knocked the glass out, and built a front skid plate from a school bus fuel tank bracket. Went like hell (for a 15 year old). In the first winter the porcupines chewed the brake lines, the next summer we just used reverse to slow down... Auto tranny...

We jumped it off so many rock piles, the firewall started to collapse and the steering column shift linkage bound up. So I cut a hole in the tunnel and welded a piece of re-bar to the shift linkage at the tranny.

Somebody put a set of tractor forks through the fuel tank (pushing it back to the yard) so we reverted to a 5 gallon pail set in a hole cut in the rear speaker deck... gravity fed...

When it took a big rock to the rad (thrown from the rear wheels of the 460 Ford Wagon of similar concept) it started to see the end. We'd run it until there was no more water and no more pressure, pop the top and fill it up again.

We finally gave up when the firewall was so collapsed the tranny was dragging on the ground. We lifted it up by the front bumper until the front wheels were about 1 1/2' of the ground, set a couple blocks under the A pillers and put it back down, the wheels went back to the ground.

Most fun I've ever had with a car, probably what got me started with concept of rally. In the first 15 minutes I learned you can't lock up and turn, you can steer with the skinny pedal, and rear wheel drive is a ball!

Matt
Pete
Pete Remner
Mod Moderator

February 15, 2011 05:22PM
gkd
The funny part is that Korinthos is a Greek city that has nothing to do with leather expertise or manufacturing.

Truth in advertising, then!
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

February 15, 2011 06:28PM
heymagic
john vanlandingham
heymagic

Have you no shame?

No, that would be "soft Corinthian leather."

tmachnik
Tom Machnik
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 VW GTI

February 16, 2011 10:11PM
Wakachika Wakachika Wakachika.... love it.
SgtRauksauff
Jorden
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
whichever one i happen to be driving at the time

February 17, 2011 11:37AM
Mad Matt F
Hey!!!

My first car was a Volare! But it was a field car... I was 15. I bought it for 100 bucks. It included a parts car that didn't run, the parts car had front fenders, the runner didn't.

We cut the rear fenders off, put big truck tires on the rear, knocked the glass out, and built a front skid plate from a school bus fuel tank bracket. Went like hell (for a 15 year old). In the first winter the porcupines chewed the brake lines, the next summer we just used reverse to slow down... Auto tranny...

We jumped it off so many rock piles, the firewall started to collapse and the steering column shift linkage bound up. So I cut a hole in the tunnel and welded a piece of re-bar to the shift linkage at the tranny.

Somebody put a set of tractor forks through the fuel tank (pushing it back to the yard) so we reverted to a 5 gallon pail set in a hole cut in the rear speaker deck... gravity fed...

When it took a big rock to the rad (thrown from the rear wheels of the 460 Ford Wagon of similar concept) it started to see the end. We'd run it until there was no more water and no more pressure, pop the top and fill it up again.

We finally gave up when the firewall was so collapsed the tranny was dragging on the ground. We lifted it up by the front bumper until the front wheels were about 1 1/2' of the ground, set a couple blocks under the A pillers and put it back down, the wheels went back to the ground.

Most fun I've ever had with a car, probably what got me started with concept of rally. In the first 15 minutes I learned you can't lock up and turn, you can steer with the skinny pedal, and rear wheel drive is a ball!

Matt

Lol, that sounds a lot like my experience! My uncle had a '68 Dodge Polara that he kept up at the farm I grew up on. He had a towing business in Chicago, and so my cousins would come up on weekends and bomb around in the fields. We took out the back seat, rear window, rear deck, and trunk, and put in some plywood for the floor. Thing had air shocks, so we jacked the torsion bars as high as they'd go, aired up the rear shocks, put on some awesomely aggressive tires on the back, and let'er rip. We had an old railroad berm in one of our fields, launching over that thing at 60mph was a riot! Of course, the cousins kept hitting things, and tweaked it enough to make the fan gouge out the radiator. We just put in another rad, and eliminated the fan. I wasn't allowed to drive it, though, since I was only 11. Of course, since they were there only one day a week, and I was there 24/7, I got to play a LOT more than they did. The engine finally died and wouldn't start anymore, but my cousins had moved on by then. I, of course, needed more. So, my uncle found a '67 Cutlass Supreme for me to play with when I was 12. 330, 4-barrel, power-glide, posi rear end. hot damn, that car was a blast!!! I still have it, although I haven't started it up in years. I should take care of that this spring.

I'm actually going to talk to my uncles/aunts/father and see if they'd let us use the land for some RallyX action this year, if they're not renting it for crops.

---** To be in compliance with the Anarchy **---
Jorden R. Kleier
Baraboo, Wisconsin, USA
1990 Mazdog Protege 4WD
heymagic
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

February 17, 2011 09:12PM
SgtRauksauff
Mad Matt F
Hey!!!

Matt

Lol, that sounds a lot like my experience! My uncle had a '68 Dodge Polara that he kept up at the farm I grew up on. He had a towing business in Chicago, and so my cousins would come up on weekends and bomb around in the fields. We took out the back seat, rear window, rear deck, and trunk, and put in some plywood for the floor. Thing had air shocks, so we jacked the torsion bars as high as they'd go, aired up the rear shocks, put on some awesomely aggressive tires on the back, and let'er rip. We had an old railroad berm in one of our fields, launching over that thing at 60mph was a riot! Of course, the cousins kept hitting things, and tweaked it enough to make the fan gouge out the radiator. We just put in another rad, and eliminated the fan. I wasn't allowed to drive it, though, since I was only 11. Of course, since they were there only one day a week, and I was there 24/7, I got to play a LOT more than they did. The engine finally died and wouldn't start anymore, but my cousins had moved on by then. I, of course, needed more. So, my uncle found a '67 Cutlass Supreme for me to play with when I was 12. 330, 4-barrel, power-glide, posi rear end. hot damn, that car was a blast!!! I still have it, although I haven't started it up in years. I should take care of that this spring.

I'm actually going to talk to my uncles/aunts/father and see if they'd let us use the land for some RallyX action this year, if they're not renting it for crops.

I'm starting to see a trend here, I had a 1953 Dodge Meadowbrook that we beat around in the pasture. Peugot buckets wired to old wheels sitting on the floors, no doors, sunroof (axe me how we did that smiling smiley )'
flathead 6, Gyromatic 4speed. We beat the crap outta that old Dodge. Had one of the front tires pass the car once, pretty cool. Took it down the road and around the river on a gravel road, we lived way out in the sticks...on the way back I came around a corner at warp 4 and ran head on into my Dad in his frickin '63 Power Wagon. Glad it was family. That was the end of the old Meadowbrook though. Since the seats weren't fastened down the ensuing pain and injuries were not much fun. My brother nearly broke his nose. I hit the dash with my knees, steel dash back in the day. Knees have never been right since then. Massive fun though.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 17, 2011 09:21PM
You guys are fawking loonies.eye popping smiley
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

February 18, 2011 01:26PM
Yep, farm kids will do stoopid things for kicks...

We had a similar "sunroof", having cut out all the sheet metal. That made it easier to throw rocks, logs, cultivator tines, plow shears... etc at the Ford. Of course if you were in the Ford, you were lucky for the protection, but if you were in the open Volare you could see the pending attack...

Choose your weapon and maybe wear your snowmobile helmet...
240tshead
Taylor Shead
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
scrap heap

March 02, 2011 10:49AM
Funny, I once thought about a rally Foxbody. But not the 302, an 1985.5 SVO....as long as that fuel system is replaced so it doesn't become a rally fireball.

Also thought about a rally 302 with an F150 4x4 trans (no idea if this is possible, just daydreaming at the time). Of course those are only auto iirc.

I'm gonna own one someday, whether it be for rally or drift or drag or whatever...I love me a Fox.

On the subject of rallying mustangs....
http://www.stangtv.com/forum/2010-mustang-rally-car-competes-ojibwe-5831.html
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login