acrane
adam crane
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
corolla GT-yes

Re: Dual Fuel Pumps...yes? no?
October 28, 2012 02:08PM
Also from portland -
http://www.radiumauto.com/blog-page.php?Radium-Engineering-s-Ultimate-Fuel-Pump-Test-73
and the winner of the ultimate fuel pump test is -
"The chart shows that the Walbro 255 gives the most flow per dollar spent. In fact, all the Walbro pumps show to be good value. Due to their high price, the two Bosch fuel pumps are not as good a value."

"I put the hurt on dirt" - adam crane
http://CraneRallyCrew.com
corolla gt-s "Patches"
Op: S.S.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 28, 2012 05:52PM
How can you do a comparison of a pump without taking it apart?
I've always assumed the ACTUAL flow capacity is what they say. That the price difference had to do more with quality of manufacturing and quality control and better component.

Grant Hughes
Pete
Pete Remner
Ultra Moderator

October 28, 2012 06:52PM
Did they scope the pumps to check pump RPM?

Junk cheap pumps (like those Airtex POS things aka "comeback in a box"winking smiley have looser tolerances on the pump, and the motor spins a lot faster. Good pumps spin down around 3000-4000rpm. Some of those Airtex things spin at close to 8000rpm when new. Think that wears the brushes and commutator down faster?

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

October 28, 2012 08:23PM
i have the walbro just because of price. My budget just doesnt allow the more expensive options. Ive never had any issues in the past with the walbros either, so i went with it. if for any reason they shit out well the car will be running and i can upgrade

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 28, 2012 09:27PM
NoCoast
How can you do a comparison of a pump without taking it apart?
I've always assumed the ACTUAL flow capacity is what they say. That the price difference had to do more with quality of manufacturing and quality control and better component.

Obviously you look on-line.. If it has a nice, expensive looking web-site then it has to be good. And if a lot of people say it's popular, then it has to be good.
All knowledge is found on-line Grant. People on line know everything and if they don't then real knowledge is just a few keystrokes away.

It's only by looking online for example that we learned that "left foot braking is indispensable" for a guy who had done 2 events, that a $15,000 dog-box was a "must" fort a guy with 4 events who wasn't faster than other guys with stock box and a 2.5, that nuc-u-lar mushroom clouds would be the next thing you'd see if a person with less than some years experience shifted a turbo 2wd rally car into gear, and what the next big thing to save rally is going to be.

And that "Heat Fence" is soooper bitchin and your dumb insert will be zapped up pretty soon...No such a shame you haven't listened when i've said to send the tubes up for a re-call to improve them...Oh well, you're too cool.thumbs up smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
JohnLane
John Lane
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

October 28, 2012 10:20PM
I use the arrangement Mercedes used in all the V-8 and V-12 cars from the late '80s to the late '90s.

Two pumps on a bracket with a pulse dampener and fuel filter on a mounting bracket that I'd purchase from Aurora Auto Wrecking in Seattle Hmmmm (206)524-8700? for a hundred bucks. Quiet, dependable and will fuel your sickest power fantasy.

Works for me.

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 28, 2012 11:21PM
john vanlandingham
And that "Heat Fence" is soooper bitchin and your dumb insert will be zapped up pretty soon...No such a shame you haven't listened when i've said to send the tubes up for a re-call to improve them...Oh well, you're too cool.thumbs up smiley

Sweet! I've spent everyday at the shop, which has been about 16-20 hours per week typically, for the past six months working on customer cars. I really wanna get some work done on the Merkur so I can race it again this coming spring.
Get me that insert so I can get the car rollable and get some stuff done that requires mobility (pressure washing, painting, and a day on the lift) then I'll put it on jack stands, pull the inserts and send you the tubes by the end of the year!!!

Grant Hughes
M4XVLTG3
Jason B Davis
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1986 Toyota Corolla

October 30, 2012 05:04PM
This is why I need to visit here more often. Ladies and gentlemen my sides have left the building.
john vanlandingham
It's perfectly clear.

Break it up into shorter lengths, hack the spelling..
maybe copy and paste it to facebook and it'll make more sense.

240tshead
john vanlandingham
Pete
Is it best to run them each on separate switches/fuses/relays or just Y in the power from a relay so that NC goes to one pump and NO goes to the other pump, and powering the relay switches the pumps?

I want to put two fuel pumps in the rallycross car. Killed a Bosch pump, was still able to drive it home tho. (Fortunately it really started acting up AFTER I crossed the Mississippi and got to flatter ground) I really like the idea of flipping a switch and bringing the other pump online instead of trying to revive the dying one.

If you're going to 2 pumps, then of course separate power, relays, switches.

I use a on/off/on for each
....middle is off so i can have IGN on and fawk with things, up----kinda like a light switch is up---for ON----even with key off...
and down is on and off with the ignition like the law says..
make it easy to remember: "Down with the law"....

On SS I run both.
each transit I'll switch one or the other off....

Anything less than that is madness I tell you! MADNESS!

Your reply is confusing to me. Can you plz explain that one again? lol

Thanks all for the replies!
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Senior Moderator

February 28, 2014 06:18PM
Looks like the stock vw fuel accumulator is leaking, a lot. So now is probably a good time to go dual pumps in the spare tire well, and do a host of other updates. I have a few extra Volvo/VW CIS pumps that I'll be using to push the fuel.

My question is: Fuel accumulator necessary or just plumb the in-tank feed directly into the high pressure pumps?

Gracias.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 28, 2014 06:22PM
Robert Culbertson
Looks like the stock vw fuel accumulator is leaking, a lot. So now is probably a good time to go dual pumps in the spare tire well, and do a host of other updates. I have a few extra Volvo/VW CIS pumps that I'll be using to push the fuel.

My question is: Fuel accumulator necessary or just plumb the in-tank feed directly into the high pressure pumps?

Gracias.

just a little shorter crank when the car has sat for longer periods.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Senior Moderator

February 28, 2014 06:46PM
No accumulator it is! I usually cycle the ignition twice to prime the system out of habit anyways.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login