Posted by darkknight9 
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

Re: WRC Deaths
October 02, 2013 01:19PM
Ahh okay. well ill add my .02! In my opionion this death with no data and no proof but just an observation is that the ralliest were in a vintage rally car with long seat belts no winged seats to hold them in line of the seat and the biggest spoiler to the back braking hans is that they did not have a hans on because it was an exhibition!

Now when all of us look at this wreck we all said man that doesnt look that bad yet there BOTH dead? What the heck? Well its unfortunatly pretty simple. Long belts no wings and a cushy seat and no Hans means your chance of death from a wreck goes up. This vintage rally car is enoughh proof to me to run a head neck restraint, short belts and a winged seat!

Sorry old timers but the belt companies have all ready done huge test on belt stretch vrs length and ALL of them come to the same conclusion sfi and fia and hans!

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Morison
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

October 02, 2013 02:22PM
How long CAN the belts be in a TR-7/8?

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

October 02, 2013 02:49PM
Reamer
Ahh okay. well ill add my .02! In my opionion this death with no data and no proof but just an observation is that the ralliest were in a vintage rally car with long seat belts no winged seats to hold them in line of the seat and the biggest spoiler to the back braking hans is that they did not have a hans on because it was an exhibition!

Now when all of us look at this wreck we all said man that doesnt look that bad yet there BOTH dead? What the heck? Well its unfortunatly pretty simple. Long belts no wings and a cushy seat and no Hans means your chance of death from a wreck goes up. This vintage rally car is enoughh proof to me to run a head neck restraint, short belts and a winged seat!

Sorry old timers but the belt companies have all ready done huge test on belt stretch vrs length and ALL of them come to the same conclusion sfi and fia and hans!

Where did you see they had no hans?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 02, 2013 03:19PM
Morison
How long CAN the belts be in a TR-7/8?

Thank you.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

October 02, 2013 04:53PM
the pic in the first few pages shows the co driver still in the car with clear view of what looks to be the back of his helmet. it may not be his helmet but it looks like it to me.

First rally 2013
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

October 02, 2013 05:06PM
I have no clue how long they could be. Old school rally cars mounted them as far back as possible. my guess would be in the rear trunck area so maybe 2'. or maybe rapped around and down to the floor behind the cushey cheap summit seat. They may have been super loose to. They were on a half speed run having fun and wanted to hit the jump fast to get good air for the fans. Not full on rally. Ive looked at the pic on page 1 again and im 99% sure there is no head restraint system at all on the helmet.

First rally 2013
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
czwalga
steve czwalga
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

October 02, 2013 07:00PM
I dunno I'm pretty sure i see a silver circle which looks like a hans post.
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

October 02, 2013 07:23PM
Okay so theres a hans post wheres the hans did he take it off? If so how? Was it stolen? thats 90% of the back of his helmet yes? How did he turn his head that way with the hans on? He didnt because its not there and I can garuntee nobody went in there and fished it out. They cut the roof off to get them out im sure no one took it off.

Sorry guys just angry that its obveous what happened yet were still here babling about belt stretch long,short, hans sucks cause you may brake your back. Bones heal get over it. These guys ran a vintage car at half speed got in a minor wreck and there both dead. Guys want to blame the hans and there abuiluty to drive when its clear there was no Hans.

First rally 2013
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

October 02, 2013 07:26PM
That looks awfully high up on the helmet to be a hans post.

EDIT: I take it back, I can see the corner of the visor at the edge of the window to get a bearing of the position of his head.

Tim.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2013 07:28PM by TronDD.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

October 02, 2013 08:31PM
Which picture are you looking at?

From what I see looks to be the right silver post. Picture on the first page. Which means the hans would be to the left; and that's covered by the b-pillar.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 02, 2013 09:02PM
Reamer
I have no clue how long they could be. Old school rally cars mounted them as far back as possible. my guess would be in the rear trunck area so maybe 2'. or maybe rapped around and down to the floor behind the cushey cheap summit seat. They may have been super loose to. They were on a half speed run having fun and wanted to hit the jump fast to get good air for the fans. Not full on rally. Ive looked at the pic on page 1 again and im 99% sure there is no head restraint system at all on the helmet.

Reamer, you don't know what a TR7/8 is and how its maybe 7" behind the seat where the shocks are and that's the place to send a bar across from back stay to backstay, do you?

Old school cars mounted them all over the place, in 'Merikuh there were always boys who had cages done by roundy poun guys or road racers and MANY had belt bars 1" behind the seats. Some used OEM rear seat anchorages and a bar to drape the belts over to make a better approach to the shoulders, some rear the book and saw it say "Preferred" and "OK" and referencing the seat back angle--not horison, not plumb bob vertical, didn't use a bar beause it was OK..maybe 10-15* down relative to seat back angle...

NOBODY purposely "ran long belts". If fact longer belts were hard to find with a good cam lock buckle, and most ran those horrible lever things.

Now the reports in Dutch said they hit the jump around 140km/hr--about 90mph....
Search. I think it was in some Maastricht newspaper.

That's the point of my saying the idiot driver had now reason to be playing the fool to the point of dying. It should have been "exhibition only".

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

October 02, 2013 09:39PM
John, I have no clue how big that car is never even hurd of one before now! I know im talking drivel crap! Im just commenting on vauge piccies on the web. I agree they were going to fast. Theres also pics of the car with another car just behind him. Not sure if there 1 min intervals but he had a car close behind meaning he would for the most part not going full bore.

Im looking at the first big pic. To me it looks like the codriver is looking at the driver. Wich would make sense from how the car made impact. I see no side visor or any thing hooked to the shiney metal that looks to high to be a hans clip. looking at a helmet from the side is not all white. you should see the hans and the side of the front opening of the helmet. Like a say I could be wrong but I still dont see any signs of a head neck restraint. Not sure if the shiney metal is even part of the helmet.

To me this is just a bad deal. If FIA or SFI wanted to have a current wreck with the older style rules to check saftey advances this would be the data they would want. I draw the conclusion that Cars need winged seats and a head neck restraints regardless of the pit falls they may bring with them. Now thats just me and what I take from this tragedy.

First rally 2013
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 03, 2013 01:22AM
Reamer
John, I have no clue how big that car is never even hurd of one before now! I know im talking drivel crap! Im just commenting on vauge piccies on the web. I agree they were going to fast. Theres also pics of the car with another car just behind him. Not sure if there 1 min intervals but he had a car close behind meaning he would for the most part not going full bore.

Im looking at the first big pic. To me it looks like the codriver is looking at the driver. Wich would make sense from how the car made impact. I see no side visor or any thing hooked to the shiney metal that looks to high to be a hans clip. looking at a helmet from the side is not all white. you should see the hans and the side of the front opening of the helmet. Like a say I could be wrong but I still dont see any signs of a head neck restraint. Not sure if the shiney metal is even part of the helmet.

To me this is just a bad deal. If FIA or SFI wanted to have a current wreck with the older style rules to check saftey advances this would be the data they would want. I draw the conclusion that Cars need winged seats and a head neck restraints regardless of the pit falls they may bring with them. Now thats just me and what I take from this tragedy.

They were a horrible little piece of tin, and tiny, and they way the roof/back window were, no room for a cage really:

Dimensions 85" wheelbase, a vile non-handling glorified quad

Fimsey everything---tiny spindles, tiny axle, thing sheetmetal that would rust if you grimaced at it...Horrible motor (first car motor i rebuilt was a Saab 99 motor that Saab and Triumph split design (at Ricardo) development costs and Triumph produced for them as 1709cc, and for both at 1845cc and for themselves at 2,0 for use in the TR7..
As stock cars they had about 4.75" front rotors about .100 thick and drums the size odf a tea cup saucer..

Even at low gutless HP the cars were squirly POS POS.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

October 03, 2013 08:07PM
Is he wearing a HANS?

czwalga
steve czwalga
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

October 03, 2013 08:55PM
Doesn't look like it, but then again it looks like he's wearing a red hoodie, and a storm trooper helmet so I'm not sure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login