Posted by darkknight9 
heymagic
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

Re: WRC Deaths
October 03, 2013 10:13PM
A couple of points, I doubt that if they had a case of HNRs in the car it wouldn't have made any difference. I doubt it was affected at all by seat belts either. Side impacts are about the worst we have to deal with in reality.

As to speed, hard to judge and we shouldn't . JV is flat wrong calling the guy an idiot. I wouldn't think that anything other than having fun and a bad jump led to the tragedy. Maybe a tire went down, maybe a home made trailing arm broke, maybe his no name suspension broke. Who knows. Speed is relative. My safe cruising speed is likely way higher than say Al's OMG we're gonna die speed in an old Volvo. No one on this forum is really in a position to judge the TR7 crew. No one who lays it down on a stage for fun, which is 99% of the ralliests, is any brighter than those poor souls. If you aren't making a living driving a rally car then it certainly isn't worth any serious risk. The chances we take is our choice. They died in a way better fashion than most people get to do.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
mulik52
Klim Verba
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90Q 20V n/a

October 03, 2013 10:43PM
heymagic
A couple of points, I doubt that if they had a case of HNRs in the car it wouldn't have made any difference. I doubt it was affected at all by seat belts either. Side impacts are about the worst we have to deal with in reality.

As to speed, hard to judge and we shouldn't . JV is flat wrong calling the guy an idiot. I wouldn't think that anything other than having fun and a bad jump led to the tragedy. Maybe a tire went down, maybe a home made trailing arm broke, maybe his no name suspension broke. Who knows. Speed is relative. My safe cruising speed is likely way higher than say Al's OMG we're gonna die speed in an old Volvo. No one on this forum is really in a position to judge the TR7 crew. No one who lays it down on a stage for fun, which is 99% of the ralliests, is any brighter than those poor souls. If you aren't making a living driving a rally car then it certainly isn't worth any serious risk. The chances we take is our choice. They died in a way better fashion than most people get to do.

Word.
starion887
starion887
Junior Moderator

October 04, 2013 06:32PM
john vanlandingham
NOBODY purposely "ran long belts". If fact longer belts were hard to find with a good cam lock buckle, and most ran those horrible lever things.

Not true on some counts; most of guys here ran long shoulder belts, John. You could buy most 4 and even 5 point link & latch belts with the option of either long or short shoulder strap lengths. I was encouraged more than once by scrutineers to put the harness anchors way back on the package shelf; and if you did not mount them there, they went to the rear selt belt mounts way back on the rear axle tunnel. So 4'-5' long harness straps behind the seat top was the norm here. Of course, all my info and historical observations are from most of the events east of the Mississippi so maybe things were different where you are.

FIA cage rules up 'til around 10-12 years ago recommended a shoulder harness mounting bar well back on the backstays towards the strut mounts. It mentioned the 'package shelf' area if I recall rightly.

I agree that finding long shoulder harness belts for camlocks has been hard.
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Professional Moderator

October 04, 2013 06:44PM
starion887
john vanlandingham
NOBODY purposely "ran long belts". If fact longer belts were hard to find with a good cam lock buckle, and most ran those horrible lever things.

Not true on some counts; most of guys here ran long shoulder belts, John.

Oh, it gets better. Take a look in this thread (which is currently active): http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?5,89617 In it, JVL quotes a picture of a rally car with long belts.

I'm not accusing JVL of being inconsistent, however, because I could not see the names of the driver and co-driver. It is still possible that one (or both) is named "Nobody."
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

October 04, 2013 08:52PM
Iowa999
I'm not accusing JVL of being inconsistent, however, because I could not see the names of the driver and co-driver. It is still possible that one (or both) is named "Nobody."

From the context, I don't think it was explicit that it's a stage car (but it is). The gold interior'ed car in that post is a drag car.

But, since the car in said picture (the stage car, not the drag car) is now mine, I'll elaborate:
* That picture was before they ran any recent R-A events in the car (a bar has been added to please R-A since)
* I don't know where they ended up running the belts, as I bought the car without belts.
* I don't know where I'm mounting the belts, but they're definitely NOT going to be bolted in like those are.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
heymagic
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 04, 2013 11:41PM
Like Mark I remember lots of long belts also. Some even had lengths of chain to reach the rear package tray.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 05, 2013 12:24AM
Iowa999
starion887
john vanlandingham

Not true on some counts; most of guys here ran long shoulder belts, John.

Oh, it gets better. Take a look in this thread (which is currently active): http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?5,89617 In it, JVL quotes a picture of a rally car with long belts.

Those aren't LONG Professor Troll.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Professional Moderator

October 05, 2013 09:01AM
john vanlandingham

To me, when something has twice the length that it needs, it is "long." I believe that my wife would agree, but I'm not asking her because the last time I asked a question anything like that she cancelled my Twitter account.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 05, 2013 10:42AM
Iowa999
john vanlandingham

To me, when something has twice the length that it needs, it is "long." I believe that my wife would agree, but I'm not asking her because the last time I asked a question anything like that she cancelled my Twitter account.

But you're a Professor of Psychology who looks like Ned Flanders, lies to friends that your'e a "rally racer" and you're intent being here is to be an asshole troll, so nobody cares what you say, or think, what long is.

It may be "longer" than some thing that ar secured on a bar right behind the seat, but if you think that 12-14" difference is going to be significant in any way, then we know you're also unable to think rationally.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Professional Moderator

October 05, 2013 11:09AM
john vanlandingham
It may be "longer" than some thing that ar secured on a bar right behind the seat, but if you think that 12-14" difference is going to be significant in any way, then we know you're also unable to think rationally.

Are you sure that you're male? When most males see something that is 30 to 40 units long, they don't claim that it is only 12 to 14 units long; they usually err in the other direction.

ps. your libel is getting old; obey the rules of this site or fuck off, please
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 05, 2013 12:31PM
Iowa999
john vanlandingham

Are you sure that you're male? When most males see something that is 30 to 40 units long, they don't claim that it is only 12 to 14 units long; they usually err in the other direction.

ps. your libel is getting old; obey the rules of this site or fuck off, please

Autocrosser, you fuck off. You came here to troll for admiration. You write drivel and insult when somebody asks what the fuck you are blabbering about and now YOU demand me to fuck off.. You are not just a bullshitter, you are delusional.

Go away, poser. Go brag about your rallyracing to people that don't know better.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Professional Moderator

October 05, 2013 01:00PM
OK, if you won't either cease lying about me or fuck off as requested, could you at least Babelfish your posts into some obscure language so it isn't just raw vitriol in English?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 05, 2013 01:05PM
Iowa999
OK, if you won't either cease lying about me or fuck off as requested, could you at least Babelfish your posts into some obscure language so it isn't just raw vitriol in English?

Lying about you?

You are a nothing. Nothing... You are not worth responding to much less expending the effort to lie about..

What are you claiming about you that I am lying about?
You are a central casting cliche autocrosser.
You have somehow communicated that you are a "rallyracer".
You evidently look like Ned Flanders--at least that's whatt collegues in your work have said.

Perhaps they are lying.

Perhaps not.

No Ned, you don't add anything here and you troll incessantly..
I just tell you to either stop trolling or shut up..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Professional Moderator

October 05, 2013 01:07PM
To whom have I claimed to be a rally racer?
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Professional Moderator

October 05, 2013 01:11PM
Oh, my. I just tried googling my name plus "Ned Flanders" and found this: http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=801865

Are you seriously taking what some student at Penn State said about me as a reason to believe that I said it, myself? That's rather naive, don't you think? I mean, I could post somewhere that you are a pedophile that often uses male reproductive juice to lubricate the coilovers you sell; would someone else then be justified in repeating this here?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login