Posted by ChrisKobi 
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

Dirtfish?
September 16, 2013 08:14PM
Anyone here either work at dirtfish or know anyone that works there? I got a couple questions I'd ask them.

Also Tomorrows (tuesday 17th) episode of top gear is the episode that was filmed at Nameless rally so may be interesting.

Thanks!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

Re: Dirtfish?
September 17, 2013 09:32AM
I am on the payroll, very part time, but know everybody. Whats the question?
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

September 17, 2013 07:24PM
phlat65
I am on the payroll, very part time, but know everybody. Whats the question?

Sent PM, Thanks for the reply!
imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

September 18, 2013 08:23AM
Watched my first episode of top gear last night. So what's the story, Gene, on Tanner and Chrissie running a stock Mini with no cage for one stage at nameless and beating (according to Tanner) 28 other rally cars! Inquiring minds want to know.

Don Kennedy
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

September 18, 2013 08:31AM
one of the 0 cars?
bknblk2
Tony Wood
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Citation "Oskar"

September 18, 2013 09:10AM
Yes, that was a bit sketchy. I love rally getting out in front of a large audience! I love the mention of the history, 10x # of nascar fans, that is really "hard". etc Went down hill with the making fun of the classroom instruction and picked up speed with Bucky the instructor, I guess no real rally drivers were availble.

I Nearly had to hide my eyes when it got to the Nameless part... litterally made my stomach hurt. First the tease, and I was "how the hell did I miss Tanner running a rally last year???" Then the Mini.... ok there are a couple built minis around, guess he rented one. Nope. seats and belts in a street car on street tires.

Stupid. Just Stupid. Sophomoric flat brimmed hooning.

This is a real sport people. Just because you are famous it appears to the whole world that you can just pull up and do as you please.
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

September 18, 2013 09:12AM
My guess is top gear film crue ins means they do what ever they want. Top 5 is impressive. When has Bucky Lasic ran a rally? You think that helped Tanner get the itch to rally again. Maybe a few rallies in 14?

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
heymagic
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 18, 2013 10:02AM
Ok, calm down everyone..it was a TV show.

I'm not about to give out all the production details but will say that they had their own insurance, massive safety program and a couple of very professional and experienced ralliests making a TV show. Tanner was doing what he does every day, drive professionally and he did. It was kind of fun having the whole thing go on, it was cool they contacted us and chose Nameless as the rally to do the show.

Pretty sure there wasn't a 50ft ape that climbed the Empire State Bldg...and a Huffy bike can't fly.
imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

September 18, 2013 10:17AM
I figured as much but thought I'd inquire. It just goes to show how much money and fame can buy you. The show seems kinda hokey and I doubt I'll make time in my busy schedule to watch it too often. Of course, any publicity for rally, even iffy publicity, is better than none at all.

Don Kennedy
OjNK
Gordon Sleigh
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS P4WD

September 18, 2013 10:23AM
I don't really care about the logistics of how it came to be, but it does LOOK bad, IMO. No matter how legitimate it was. In an age where they're forced to slather 'Professional Driver, Closed Course' on a Mercedes C320 doing 25mpg down an empty road these guys are allowed to do a rally stage on national television without almost any of the standard required equipment?

Atlantic Canadian Region Rallysport: http://www.rallyeast.ca - Ledwidge Lookoff Rally http://www.lookoffrally.com
2000 Impreza 2.5RS CARS P4WD (Sponsored by Rally-Tech, Great North Performance)
Morison
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

September 18, 2013 11:13AM
Top Gear, regardless of which edition - UK, USA, AUS, Russia, etc. - is an entertainment show above all else. The inspiration for this was the show that ran a Bentley GT through a stage at Rally GB.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
bknblk2
Tony Wood
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Citation "Oskar"

September 18, 2013 11:51AM
Morison
Top Gear, regardless of which edition - UK, USA, AUS, Russia, etc. - is an entertainment show above all else. The inspiration for this was the show that ran a Bentley GT through a stage at Rally GB.

DURING Rally GB, intercut with shots of Seb, Seb light, JML, and Petter? Did the Bentley beat 3/4 of the field?

I'm not trying to be negative, it's a entertainment show, they do all kinds of unsafe, bad example stuff on all versions. More people (Americans)saw rallycars on gravel last night then they have in years. That's fantastic! But would it have been less entertaining if:

Dumb and dumber had taken the classroom training seriosly?

If you had to have an "extreme" "athlete" be the instructor, how about Travis? I'd probably choke up less with Brian Deegan or even Cowboy Kenny. Why does it have to be a flat brimmer, How about oh I don't know and instructor from the Dirtfish school? That's right we just spent 5 minutes making fun of them, with there white boards and knowledge and stuff.

They hadn't enenforced the idea that you need a $500,000 car to rally. And be a skate boarder.

Tanner "rallied" a proper car? Hell run a paceman? They could have caged it for the rental and insurance on the Vantage and the jet boat...

Nameless was an outlaw rally and I'm 100% supportive, I've got the tee to prove it smiling smiley Do you think the general public or PNW would have given two sheets that Top Gear had their own insurance and safety plan if something really bad had happened? Um. No.

Tanner had a co driver for the canyon run? It was a "rally race" right?

I like Tanner, I like Top Gear Uk, I tollerate Top Gear USA, I love rally. THe whole primise of the show was "why we shouldn't make fun of Tanners preferred motorsport" and then they proceeded to belittle it as much as possible.
Doug Heredos
Doug Heredos
Mod Moderator

September 18, 2013 12:05PM
I don't know anything about the production of the show- I wasn't there.

But I did compete at Nameless Rally, and I'm 95% sure they didn't run that Mini on stage DURING the rally. It's possible that they ran it at the back of the pack for one stage. I don't know. I never saw it. I think it's more likely that they brought in 2-3 other rally cars (the Yaris, the GT86, the STI) a day or two before for shooting. Maybe they ran on one of the Nameless stages and then just compared times to the actual stage times set a couple days later during the rally. Or maybe they just made up the "beat 28 race cars" thing.

Having said all that... who cares? The show is car entertainment. It's a little hokey sometimes, but it's meant to be fun and lighthearted. And they did a good job of showing rally driving and rally cars without making it seem boring. I thought Chrissy did an awesome job of being herself (super calm in a car no matter what, and the deadpan look on her face when looking over the Mini).

I thought Nate Tennis (actual Dirtfish instructor) might have played a better instructor than Bucky, but again- it's a TV show and they wanted to work Bucky in there. And anyway, Bucky seems like a cool guy. He does respectably in rallycross, even if he doesn't have any rally experience. He doesn't stand around and brag about how awesome he is. Watch the latest Launch Control episode and I think you'll like him more.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode (even if my car was only shown once on jackstands).

Doug
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

September 18, 2013 12:34PM
Actually, I thought they proved the point quite well that you can't just learn it in 24 hours because if they could, they wouldn't have switched the race out to what they did.

They also showed that ditching the class didn't help them at all.

In any case, it was all in good fun. And, I'm guessing I can say this since it's already aired, I was roadblocking on that stage and Tanner came through way faster in the suburban (or whatever SUV it was) than he ever did past us in the Mini. I'd honestly like to know what sort of times he put up in the suv because that was impressive driving.
heymagic
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 18, 2013 12:55PM
bknblk2

Nameless was an outlaw rally and I'm 100% supportive, I've got the tee to prove it smiling smiley Do you think the general public or PNW would have given two sheets that Top Gear had their own insurance and safety plan if something really bad had happened? Um. No.

Tanner had a co driver for the canyon run? It was a "rally race" right?

I like Tanner, I like Top Gear Uk, I tollerate Top Gear USA, I love rally. THe whole primise of the show was "why we shouldn't make fun of Tanners preferred motorsport" and then they proceeded to belittle it as much as possible.

Ok, I got news for you Chuckles...Nameless was not an outlaw rally. Nameless was a NASA sanctioned event and a qualifier for the national runoffs. It was staffed by the many of the same people who staffed the FIA Olympus back in the 80s. Some of this crew has been doing this since the late 70s. The project was approved by the land owners, TGs insurance carrier, NASA RallySport West and our organizing crew. Who the fuck are you to judge our decisions? Seriously, some of the people here need to get a life away from the key board on Rally Argumentative. The general public is quite different from rally people, but rally community out here that was aware of the project was quite supportive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login