ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

Re: Dirtfish?
September 22, 2013 11:24AM
Rallymech
I have been taking off road motorcycle riding courses. Again I see the value of professional training. Learning good techniques early makes the experience much more fun. There were two guys in my class today who had been riding a long time and sucked. It was difficult for them to unlearn their bad habbits.

Chris, I say go to school, learn some basic skills. You will enjoy each rally because your driving will get better.

I am looking into it now. I pretty much have 2 choices, Dirtfish or Team O'neal. Dirtfish it would have to be because its so Dang close. I will probably have to use their car because to my knowledge they only cater to the AWD folks. I'm sure I'll still learn a lot but seems like it would be more benefitial to learn in a car similar to mine (2wd) but what do I know? somthing is better than nothing.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

September 22, 2013 12:46PM
Can't blame you for choosing Dirtfish as it's practically in your backyard.

But I kinda like that Oneil has fwd,awd and rwd cars to teach you in-not just awd like dirtfish.

http://www.teamoneil.com/driving-schools-2/the-scene/the-cars

Although if you look under Faq on Dirtfish and click "can I use my own car?"-

it say's this:

No. Our cars are specially prepared for what you’ll be doing. Exceptions can be made for rally legal cars used for private coaching.

https://www.dirtfish.com/faq

So-that last bit about Exceptions for rally legal cars you might want to talk to them about-seems like seat time in your Focus(or an Oneil Fiesta) would benefit you somewhat more than in a Subaru.

Although I don't know if that "private Coaching" means Huge $$-but it ain't like an Oneil visit is gonna be cheap either.

Hell-if it was me-I'd call Dirtfish and tell them "I'm trying to choose between Oneil and your school.
I like that Oneil has FWD to train me on.
I have a stage prepped Focus and would like to learn in that-what can you do for me?"

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

September 22, 2013 01:20PM
Mike, I didn't even look at the FAQ's thanks for pointing that out. Its kind of funny that their cars are specially prepaired for what I'm doing. I don't think most people starting out in rally are going to jump into a AWD turbo car unless you're super special like Mirra and Lasic and go straight into a full sponsorship with Subaru with only a years worth of training just because you were a pro at skating and BMX.

Its worth a call and asking though, can't hurt. I just would like to get the most bang for my buck, like anyone when spending that kind of money. I don;t expect to be Loeb after but I would expect to have somewhat of a better understanding and a bit more confidents in participating in the sport a long with more fun!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 22, 2013 03:41PM
ChrisKobi

Its worth a call and asking though, can't hurt. I just would like to get the most bang for my buck, like anyone when spending that kind of money. I don;t expect to be Loeb after but I would expect to have somewhat of a better understanding and a bit more confidents in participating in the sport a long with more fun!

OK how much is cost of the courses you are weighing?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Mega Moderator

September 22, 2013 04:34PM
john vanlandingham
ChrisKobi

"... so I can tell you why you're wrong and should do something else instead."

I cannot believe you actually got into a one and a half page fight over an informal name of a sport. Well, actually I can. But anyway, its an informal name given to a sport to make the sport more recognizable to the general public who have no idea that a rally can be anything thats not a large gathering of people (without race cars). Ooooooh nooooooo! I called them race cars! Because wait.... omg.... They are racing! A clock! DEAR GOD THE HUMANITY A RALLY CAR RACES A CLOCK BUT WE CANT CALL IT A RALLY RACE.

Sure, it sounds fucking stupid. But who cares? It makes it easier for an entire population to follow along. It was on Top Gear USA. Not UK. The audience was Americans. Who AS THEY MENTIONED IN THE SHOW (did you even watch it?), primarily think of nascar and motocross when they think of racing. And maybe drag racing.

It's no different than calling calculus "calculus math" Sure, it sounds really hokey, but its not wrong. Calculus is math. It's a specific type of math.

rally IS rally racing. It's just a little redundant. But if that is what it takes to help a country of people who dont know rally is a thing separate it from pep rallies, protests, and other assemblies....

Really, who the fuck cares?

You're getting mad over something completely insignificant.

I mean Jesus Christ, Shakespeare even understood this. Why can't you?

" Jul. O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father, and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I’ll no longer be a Capulet. 40
Rom. [Aside.] Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?
Jul. ’Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself though, not a Montague.
What’s Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part 45
Belonging to a man. O! be some other name:
What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet
;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call’d,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes 50
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name;
And for that name, which is no part of thee,
Take all myself."

(I bolded the important part if you just can't figure this out... you seem to have trouble understanding what other people mean)

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

September 22, 2013 04:36PM
Stage Rally was called the 'long form of rally' on grc today. Is that better than rally racing?
Morison
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

September 22, 2013 04:47PM
czwalga
Stage Rally was called the 'long form of rally' on grc today. Is that better than rally racing?
No. Not even remotely.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

September 22, 2013 04:54PM
Jeez-Tim...

We finally get back on topic from that "whats stage rally supposed to be called"crap -and you bring it back up!

We are done with that!

And by the way whenever I see the phrase "Rallyracing" I picture that little limp wrist icon next to it instead of "TM".

Edit-oh-here it is: Rallyracing

But..enough of that back to rally School topic please!

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2013 05:25PM by RALLYRS.
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

September 22, 2013 04:59PM
For a 3 day course is 3250.00 bills 2 day course is something like 2450. 1 day is ;like 1150.00 not cheap in no way what so ever. understandably though.. they do have to maintain the cars and insure them then pay the instructors and blah blah blah...

Was reading that they offer a $100. per day insurence on the car. seems that should be covered in your schooling fee.

I prefer to call it stage rally.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 22, 2013 05:07PM
Dazed_Driver
john vanlandingham
ChrisKobi

"... so I can tell you why you're wrong and should do something else instead."

I cannot believe you actually got into a one and a half page fight over an informal name of a sport. Well, actually I can. But anyway, its an informal name given to a sport to make the sport more recognizable to the general public who have no idea that a rally can be anything thats not a large gathering of people (without race cars). Ooooooh nooooooo! I called them race cars! Because wait.... omg.... They are racing! A clock! DEAR GOD THE HUMANITY A RALLY CAR RACES A CLOCK BUT WE CANT CALL IT A RALLY RACE.

Sure, it sounds fucking stupid. But who cares? It makes it easier for an entire population to follow along. It was on Top Gear USA. Not UK. The audience was Americans. Who AS THEY MENTIONED IN THE SHOW (did you even watch it?), primarily think of nascar and motocross when they think of racing. And maybe drag racing.

It's no different than calling calculus "calculus math" Sure, it sounds really hokey, but its not wrong. Calculus is math. It's a specific type of math.

rally IS rally racing. It's just a little redundant. But if that is what it takes to help a country of people who dont know rally is a thing separate it from pep rallies, protests, and other assemblies....

Really, who the fuck cares?

You're getting mad over something completely insignificant.

I mean Jesus Christ, Shakespeare even understood this. Why can't you?

" Jul. O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father, and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I’ll no longer be a Capulet. 40
Rom. [Aside.] Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?
Jul. ’Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself though, not a Montague.
What’s Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part 45
Belonging to a man. O! be some other name:
What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet
;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call’d,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes 50
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name;
And for that name, which is no part of thee,
Take all myself."

(I bolded the important part if you just can't figure this out... you seem to have trouble understanding what other people mean)

So Timmay, how's your car coming along..
Year what? 6? Year 7? that you've had your rallyracer?

And you're so astute. We race a clock.. Clocks zoom down the roads spitting gravel and flying over blind crests... That what you've seen at all the rallyraces you've entered.?
Funny I never saw a clock racing me in any Stage rallyrace,
What kind of clocks are they? Do they have to use a restrictor?
Do these clocks you'be been rallyracing your rallyracer against have a minimum weight?

But you're right, what difference does it make if you, the epitome of and eine prakt-exemple the much vaunted Target Demographic, call it rally, rallyracing, wawwy-wacing, or "racing a clock"..?

What difference does it make if you never finish your car and never "race a clock" at a rallyrace?

None..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Morison
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

September 22, 2013 05:16PM
Tim's racing a calendar.

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 22, 2013 10:08PM
And the calendar is winning...
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

September 23, 2013 09:32AM
Morison
czwalga
No. Not even remotely.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=guv5LUT1AFw#t=6

I'm always posting on Instagram...follow me! PeteNaz Instagram

My Build smiling smiley
Morison
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

September 23, 2013 09:39AM
Pete, you just took some Dirtfish schooling... What did you think?

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

September 23, 2013 09:45AM
ChrisKobi
For a 3 day course is 3250.00 bills 2 day course is something like 2450. 1 day is ;like 1150.00 not cheap in no way what so ever. understandably though.. they do have to maintain the cars and insure them then pay the instructors and blah blah blah...

Was reading that they offer a $100. per day insurence on the car. seems that should be covered in your schooling fee.

I prefer to call it stage rally.

I actually was on the 3 day course 2 weeks ago. It was a half and half present for my birthday. If you keep an eye out you can get a discount like I did. (it ended up to being 2400 or so for the 3 day course)

I agree, it sucks that the insurance is extra, it could just be incorporated into the cost of the course.

Over all I had an amazing time on the course, the format is great for learning, you cycle through the instructors so you always have a different input from each persons different teaching methods. I actually enjoyed each instructor quite a bit!

I didn't go into the course thinking I would come out guns blazing and the best driver in the world now. But because I don't have a ton of racing experience under my belt I thought it would be a good idea to get some of the basics taught to me before I started to develop weird habits that could keep me from progressing in the future.

Its really hard to go out and practice something when you don't know what it is you should be practicing. The theory of why the car is doing what its doing and then going out and actually feeling it out and knowing what feeling your suppose to be experiencing, and then it actually happens, is the best!

The course may not be great for everyone, but I know that I have always excelled at picking things up very quickly in a class environment, much quicker than trying to learning on my own and repeating the same mistakes over and over again without ever really being told they are mistakes even.

The course is set up very well and I would recommend it to anyone. The Top Gear episode did harsh on the classroom portion, but to be honest....I think we were in the classroom at most 30 mins at a time only at the start of the day and then again after lunch.

I'm always posting on Instagram...follow me! PeteNaz Instagram

My Build smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login