Posted by ChrisKobi 
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

Re: Dirtfish?
September 19, 2013 11:49PM
I usually say "stage rally" if I'm talking to someone who isn't regularly part of the rally world

or those pesky tsd people winking smiley
Please Login or Register to post a reply
kwesley
Kevin Wesley
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1976 Dodge Dart Lite

September 20, 2013 10:16AM
ChrisKobi
Well, since we were sorta talking about Tanner Foust and Top gear this is kind of neat. errr or maybe its the sound track that gets me.

That is cool. I like Zwart's stuff.

I wonder if they sell those boards they used on the track. It would be cool art in the garage.

Thanks,

Kevin Wesley
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 20, 2013 10:21AM
My wife co-drove for Jeff Zwart on his first Rallyrace. He was with the Millen GTX contingent. Fast from the start. later he switched to Porsche. Nicest guy in the world.
Morison
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

September 21, 2013 12:13PM
john vanlandingham
Irony much?
Typical JV... always need to have the last word...

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 21, 2013 01:51PM
Morison
IF you want to reach the 'dumb,' then yes.

If you want to continue as an elitist, hidden sport, then no.
john vanlandingham
Irony much?

Typical JV... always need to have the last word...

irony again?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Morison
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

September 21, 2013 01:54PM
john vanlandingham
irony again?
See what I mean...

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 21, 2013 02:34PM
Morison
john vanlandingham
irony again?
See what I mean...

your obvious hiding from your own words is obvious.

you present a simplistic false choice in one line and lecture that things are not black and white a couple of lines later. you can have the last word, bub, but use it to explain away the hilarious irony of lecturing about what you just did.
go ahead, should be amusing.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Morison
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

September 21, 2013 03:09PM
OMG, either you really don't 'get it' or your just playing silly bugger.

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

September 21, 2013 05:50PM
I know I make sure I always get the last word in! YES DEAR!!

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

September 21, 2013 07:26PM
I have been taking off road motorcycle riding courses. Again I see the value of professional training. Learning good techniques early makes the experience much more fun. There were two guys in my class today who had been riding a long time and sucked. It was difficult for them to unlearn their bad habbits.

Chris, I say go to school, learn some basic skills. You will enjoy each rally because your driving will get better.

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 21, 2013 09:26PM
Rallymech
I have been taking off road motorcycle riding courses. Again I see the value of professional training. Learning good techniques early makes the experience much more fun. There were two guys in my class today who had been riding a long time and sucked. It was difficult for them to unlearn their bad habbits.

Chris, I say go to school, learn some basic skills. You will enjoy each rally because your driving will get better.

I was talking to a Marine guy just recently about him saving to go to school somewhere out East....now this guy was a proper grunt, 2 tours shooting up pashtoon terr'ists who seemed upset that we brought Freedom to their country so he wasn't in some supply depot pounding his pub.
I axed him 'Of course you can field strip your M16 blind-folded right?"
"Of course"
Me "when they gave you that weapon did you just charge it and start blazing away, is that how you learned to field strip it blindfolded?"

"No we stripped it and stripped it a thousand times under the clock, then eventually we stripped it blindfolded---under the clock"

So it was learning new concept--then insane repetition to pound the lessons in---and a clock as incentive...."

He himself filled in the rest "Uh great, so really how much can I expect to learn in 2 afternoons of some 20 something guys 'teaching me"? Duh I see."

I asked "say you took half the money you were planning on spending on a 2 day thing--1250 bucks and bought 25-30 tires and you drove about 2 hours North of Midland (Michohaugan) and drove and drove and drove and burned up 30 tires, how much lessons you think you will pound into your skull then?"

Robert, you know Chris, I know him, He needs LOTS and LOTS of hours of practice and he's not loaded with dough.. I seriously doubt the wisdom of this consumerist approach of believing buying knowledge in one weekend rather than spending time---in the end you must do the right thing, and after talking to dozens and dozens of guys in his postion who have called to discuss and order suspension virtually every one repeats 2 things "Uh, you gotta try and maintain momentum thru the corners" and "You GOTTA left foot brake to drive in the woods"..
And personally, we've talked about this many times, I believe those are the wrong things to be drilling into noobs heads...

And yet, after these boys spending their money, that is all they can remember/recall or say about the experience.....if i spend a cuple of thousand dollars I certainly hope i could remember more than a couple of bromides..

I know that all phases of rally have become in essence a consumer product where most guys imagine and are constantly told that the easiest way is to buy everything, including basic knowledge.
.we see how well that works...eye rolling smiley

One almost wants to ask: How did we do it without these hyper-expensive schools before?

I think he's do better to study the Noble 8 Fold Path to Enlightenment,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_Eightfold_Path

Like, namaste, doods.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
HiTempguy
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

September 21, 2013 09:38PM
Rallying is hard enough to explain in North America, a "race" that is based on times of cars going single file down a road blows peoples minds.

Trying to explain how the racing is done on public roads that are CLOSED via government/private permission? Completely over 99% of peoples heads. Rally racing as a term is one of those things where no-one has a clue what "rally" or "stage rally" is here. Even worse is navigational or TSD.

So yea, rally racing. The only way to get a connection is if they have somehow saw GRC/rallycross at Xgames, played any of the video games, or somehow stumbled across the WRC/CRC in the past two decades on TV randomly.
Morison
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

September 22, 2013 12:06AM
Classic 'this or that' mindset John.

Did you ask the Marine if they just gave him a loaded M-16 and said 'figure out how to field strip it and then just keep practicing' or if they walked him through the process and showed him how before putting him through repetitive drills to reinforce what he learned? (I suspect there was at least some instruction before he was told to sit and practice ad infinitum)

Taking a Rally school doesn't mean you can't go out and practice. To some that might seem like I'm stating the obvious... but you don't seem to understand that so I guess it's not that obvious.

NOBODY, not even someone with the flattest of brims, expects to go through a school and come out proficient at everything (or anything for that matter.) It takes practice, and seat time, we all know that.
But... schools are great at identifying, and fixing, bad habits and showing what the desired outcome looks like. Some schools might say that you'll learn what you need to know to be a rally racer (yah, rally racer) but that is quite distinct from promising an overnight transformation or instant high-level skills.

Schools are good for newbies. in the long run, students at reputable schools likely build good skills faster, cheaper and safer than simply burning through tires (and fenders) out in the woods without structure, focus or objective feedback.

So, out of curiosity where would you focus the attention of lessons for a school if not maintaining momentum and LFB?

'Brake LATE and HARD in a straight line then accelerate as hard as you can in a straight line once you're through the corner'?

But, we're back at the 'black/white' problem again. You avoid LFB as a tool like it will bite your nuts off, yet you once again seem to think that someone can't learn LFB at the same time as they learn to brake LATE and HARD coming into a corner.

Also, you've said a few times that maintaining momentum is a bad thing to teach newbies but I don't think you've ever explained why. Why?

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 22, 2013 12:09AM
It is pretty danged hard to find roads to practice on and since he doesn't really know what to practice then what is the point? Unlike most forms of motorsport rally rarely affords the opportunity to watch another car long enough to watch and learn. Someone with talent, skill and experience like Nate Tennis for instance should be able to teach a guy what the basics really are and what to do to improve. DirtFish, O'Neill or even Pat Richard would be a great path for a novice the gain skill and knowledge from.
Morison
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

September 22, 2013 12:15AM
heymagic
...or even Pat Richard would be a great path for a novice the gain skill and knowledge from.

From everything I've heard, I'd recommend people have some solid seat-time at events before doing any training with Pat. I think he basically only offers one to one training - or small groups at the most - which brings the price up and if you have a basic skill set in hand you can get more bang for your buck.

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login