Please Login or Register to post a reply
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

Re: Merkur pricing
March 16, 2014 11:56AM
my auto merkur (converted to T9) had a terrible final drive.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
mothra
Matt Smith
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

March 17, 2014 12:58PM
Gravity Fed
my auto merkur (converted to T9) had a terrible final drive.

I think he is referring to the supra auto having a good final drive. All the merkur final drives are awful.

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 17, 2014 01:06PM
bknblk2
so all autos have the yummy rear ratio?

4,3 in Suprah came in all autotragique AND in normal aspirated cars with "the touring package"

Early turbo manual was 3,9 and later was 3,73...I don't know the cut off date.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
cmanreinhart
Conner Reinhart
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1987 xr4ti

March 20, 2014 04:59PM
Heres a good deal on a xr4ti for only $1500 http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25832
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

March 20, 2014 06:04PM
cmanreinhart
Heres a good deal on a xr4ti for only $1500 http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25832

That is very nice, thanks for the link.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 20, 2014 06:50PM
Thomas Kimsey
cmanreinhart

You oughtter be able to get at least $1,000,000 for the complete leather interior.

1 day drive.

T5's aren't that hard to find---espeically when you'll be fabulously wealthy when you flog the interior.

And the wheels, and the "dual exhaust"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

March 20, 2014 07:29PM
john vanlandingham
Thomas Kimsey
cmanreinhart

You oughtter be able to get at least $1,000,000 for the complete leather interior.

1 day drive.

T5's aren't that hard to find---espeically when you'll be fabulously wealthy when you flog the interior.

And the wheels, and the "dual exhaust"

John, Anything concern you about this listing? A little weary of breaking down in the middle of Pennsylvania in a car I saw on the internet. Also I may know of a Type 9 laying around before I snag a T-5 box.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 20, 2014 09:36PM
Thomas Kimsey
John, Anything concern you about this listing? A little weary of breaking down in the middle of Pennsylvania in a car I saw on the internet. Also I may know of a Type 9 laying around before I snag a T-5 box.

When I was 17 we took off drunk at 1 am and drove 1000 miles to Phoenix to go skateboarding during Spring Break. Called our parents collect from Santa Fe to let them know we were okay and would be home at the end of the week. In a completely beat up hand me down RWD 1980 Toyota Corolla wagon. Stop being a poof and embrace some sense of adventure. Take a Greyhound out to pick it up, drive it home. Better yet, craigslist rideshare your way there. Live a little!
We had such a good time in Phoenix, the next year I went solo via Greyhound as my buddy now lived there. Now that sucked! 32 hours on a bus each way!

Grant Hughes
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

March 20, 2014 10:04PM
NoCoast
Thomas Kimsey

When I was 17 we took off drunk at 1 am and drove 1000 miles to Phoenix to go skateboarding during Spring Break. Called our parents collect from Santa Fe to let them know we were okay and would be home at the end of the week. In a completely beat up hand me down RWD 1980 Toyota Corolla wagon. Stop being a poof and embrace some sense of adventure. Take a Greyhound out to pick it up, drive it home. Better yet, craigslist rideshare your way there. Live a little!
We had such a good time in Phoenix, the next year I went solo via Greyhound as my buddy now lived there. Now that sucked! 32 hours on a bus each way!

Everyone needs to live a little (or a lot) in their life. However, sitting on the side of the road 700 miles from home because I didn't take the time to ask knowledgeable people what their option is on the condition of a car is not my method of operation. Who knows maybe the cooling system is plumbed all goofy, I wouldn't notice it.
BJosephD
Brian j Dyer
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
04 Rocky Mountain MTB...

March 21, 2014 02:14PM
Thomas Kimsey
NoCoast
Thomas Kimsey

Everyone needs to live a little (or a lot) in their life. However, sitting on the side of the road 700 miles from home because I didn't take the time to ask knowledgeable people what their option is on the condition of a car is not my method of operation. Who knows maybe the cooling system is plumbed all goofy, I wouldn't notice it.

Makes me wonder how you would do broken in the middle of the woods 1500 miles from home at a rally.
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

March 21, 2014 02:47PM
BJosephD
Thomas Kimsey
NoCoast
Thomas Kimsey

Makes me wonder how you would do broken in the middle of the woods 1500 miles from home at a rally.

What do you have against preparation? Do you see anything wrong with the car that would cause it to break down mid trip? Because I don't but someone might. There is some likelihood that a car will break down anytime but we can minimize this chance by assessing the issues before hand and being prepared. When you go to rallies do you base all of your knowledge off of your own personal experiances? When you are preparing your spares do you say, well I have never had a timing belt snap so I don't need to bring a timing belt. If the car breaks down on the way I will deal with it, but I am damn sure I am going to try and minimize that risk.
Graminal95
Graham Cullen
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1973 Saab V4

March 21, 2014 02:49PM
I mean come on Tom, why would you try and plan something out like picking up a car half way across the country by yourself?

Shit, why not be like a 17 year old Grant and just go. In fact I think you should get Shit faced hop on a moped and drive out naked. It's spring now and you'll have the alcohol to keep you warm. I know you have no real obligations at home, like a job and tight finances...

Oh wait all this would be stupid. Even a small amount of planning is needed for most things in life if you want them succeed. And before anyone says anything about embracing the adventure, I've been there and done that many times through my life. Fly and drives, driving a falling apart saab 96 5800miles across the country for JV, driving falling apart daily drivers all over the US and Scandinavia...

Asking for advice on a car does not imply no adventure, it means he has a good head on his shoulders and doesn't want to repeat the bs stuff I have gone through because I didn't have the forethought to think ahead.

Brian, interesting comment since you have no knowledge of Tom's skills and abilities. I mean dude from your comment it makes me think you would show up to a rally with no spare or tow car.

We can all read into what others have posted but that's a waste of time when the intention of the forum is to help each other with our rally interests and not belittle each other.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 21, 2014 05:05PM
There's a decent-ish looking on on Denver craigslist for $2500. I'd be happy to go check it out for you. Shoot, could even pay me to prep it fully for you and meet you at RWV for your first event. smiling smiley

Side note: I thought it was a few 100 miles from you. Merkur's are junk. I don't know that I'd trust one to drive more than a few hundred miles.

Grant Hughes
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

March 21, 2014 05:11PM
Thomas Kimsey

.......... Who knows maybe the cooling system is plumbed all goofy, I wouldn't notice it.

Ha...the problem...with an XR the cooling system was plumbed all goofy from the factory!

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login