Posted by Iowa999 
zerodegreec
Oh look, waffles....
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
see you on the stages

Re: center diff in Open cars?
April 06, 2014 10:19AM
Oh my! grinning smiley Care to share the love?

Intercom and electronics dude. www.zerodegreec.ca
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 06, 2014 12:03PM
NoCoast
zerodegreec
If your driving a Subaru you can call up Rocket and pay to have Pats diff control setup.

There was this great off season where like 3-4 Subaru guys that were all competing against each other all did just that. And if I recall you pay for the computer AND then you pay for the maps. I think it was 2500 and 1500 respectively. That is the Beauty of AWD.

That's the beauty of the monetization of this amateur sport. More parts means more opportunities to make more dough...

Makes you wonder how and old mere 2wd car can go out and beat all but a couple of the "sky is the limit" cars...
Like the Ozzie in the little 1.6 fwd thing with a boring clutch plate diff.

Do you think all the AWD Ess Pea guys need to buy better maps?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

April 06, 2014 03:12PM
john vanlandingham
NoCoast
zerodegreec
If your driving a Subaru you can call up Rocket and pay to have Pats diff control setup.

There was this great off season where like 3-4 Subaru guys that were all competing against each other all did just that. And if I recall you pay for the computer AND then you pay for the maps. I think it was 2500 and 1500 respectively. That is the Beauty of AWD.

That's the beauty of the monetization of this amateur sport. More parts means more opportunities to make more dough...

Makes you wonder how and old mere 2wd car can go out and beat all but a couple of the "sky is the limit" cars...
Like the Ozzie in the little 1.6 fwd thing with a boring clutch plate diff.

Do you think all the AWD Ess Pea guys need to buy better maps?

As someone who has begged for people to group together to amortize the labor you expend to develop such "parts", I'd think you'd be a little more sympathetic to someone seeing a potential improvement, developing the improvement and selling it.

And yes, the Subaru DCCD can definately benefit from better maps geared to competition use. Whether it worth the development costs to have different maps based on different surface conditions and tires, that is only something the competitor can answer. I've found that a single good base map and a bias adjustment knob gets us most of the way there with very little cost.

And the cost thing? Well, there are limited dollars and hours. Part of our job as competitors is to figure out where they are BEST applied. More often than not, the answer should be driver training and seat time (and the vehicle expense that goes along with it).

Jason McDaniel
urr
Andrew Sutherland
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru, EVO, Honda, Husky

urr
April 09, 2014 11:37AM
RE: diff mapping, cost and impact

I don't know the today's cost of the Gems Diff controller but it used to be around $1500 and came with "standard" maps. At the time, you could buy the software key for $400, which allowed you to create your own maps, as many as you'd like. However, Gems has killer customer support and will usually send you multiple maps to try (assuming you've bought the software key). They have hundreds of maps from various driver/car/rally combos.

A diff map makes a material difference to stage times and well worth the relatively minor investment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login