Posted by Gravity Fed 
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

Sprechen deutsch sehr gut?
October 22, 2011 09:30AM
Im learning German and im hoping to find someone who knows it well enough for me to converse with, like email or pms just so i can develop it. hard to talk to yourself at my age.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Re: Sprechen deutsch sehr gut?
October 22, 2011 03:15PM
Mein deutsch ist sehr schlect. :/
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

October 22, 2011 05:46PM
I know a scary German woman.
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 22, 2011 08:09PM
nur ein bichen...
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

October 22, 2011 10:47PM
I kann etwas deutschen lesen und schreiben, aber mein sprechen ist schlecht
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Infallible Moderator

October 22, 2011 11:37PM
I think you mean "Ich kann"
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

October 22, 2011 11:39PM
typo
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 24, 2011 12:51PM
Schreiben und lesen ist eine ding, zu sprechen ist ganz anders..
wenn du schreibst kan man reflektieren, aber wenn man sprichsts, sprichts man spontant.
Warom willst du Deutch sprechen?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

October 25, 2011 06:54AM
Ich mochte zu Deutsch lernen, denn Ich bin interessiert. Nein Grund, ehrlich. Meine Frau hat worden zu Deutschland, wenn sie war im das Militar. Auch, Ich mochte eine Sparche lernen.

frankly, i had to look up "reason" and "honestly". Right now i'm still getting a grasp on sentence structure. I really do not have anyone to speak it with, but reading and writing is better than nothing.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

October 25, 2011 09:01AM
Ich bin ein militarische Luftverkehrkontroller, aber Ich nicht reise. Ich wisse nicht. Vielleicht, Ich bin gelangweilt.
b00sted
David Barrett
Infallible Moderator

October 25, 2011 01:01PM
Volkswagen
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 25, 2011 01:41PM
Gravity Fed
Ich mochte zu Deutsch lernen, denn Ich bin interessiert. Nein Grund, ehrlich. Meine Frau hat worden zu Deutschland, wenn sie war im das Militar. Auch, Ich mochte eine Sparche lernen.

frankly, i had to look up "reason" and "honestly". Right now i'm still getting a grasp on sentence structure. I really do not have anyone to speak it with, but reading and writing is better than nothing.

Yeah you must the sentence structure you be learning.
Verb at the end No zu .
And you have to use correct idiom and idiomatic phrases, and punctuation es ist möchte, buchstabierung!

Look when you have nobody to practice with you have a schwerer last to carry. Or in better order: Look, when you nobody to practice with have, then you a heavier load to carry have.

Movies, good simple minded movies is the solution. You get a visual clue of what's going on, and you hear the vocabulary and importantly the real rhythm or flow (and natürlich the etymology of words is endlessly fascinating) just look at that word we use about speaking language well: fluent....

fluent Look up fluent at Dictionary.com
1580s, "flowing freely" (of water, also of speech), from L. fluentem (nom. fluens) "lax, relaxed," figuratively "flowing, fluent," prp. of fluere "to flow, stream, run, melt," from PIE *bhleugw-, extended form of *bhleu- "to swell, well up, overflow" (cf. L. flumen "river;" Gk. phluein "to boil over, bubble up," phlein "to abound"winking smiley, an extension of base *bhel- (2); see bole. Used interchangeably with fluid in Elizabethan times. Related: Fluently.

Another thing you must do is remember that English is a Northwestern German language and that while 80% of the entire vocabulary descended from middle French and that was directly descended itself from old garrison Latin (Not fancy Roman Senate Latin, but the language spoken by Roman garrisons all round the Empire which eventually had been filled up with locals ho were either Celtic or Germanic) the vast majority of common ''around the house'' English retains it's Germanic roots so you have already hundreds of words in your head that are the same as German words and thousands or words that are very consistently slightly modified.

The best I have seen on this idea was put forth in a wonderful book called ''Breaking the Language Code: German'' (find it!) (and buy it) in the forward. There the author wrote to the effect--not verbatim quote but close--''Imagine a freind comes to work all wrapped up in a muffler and coat and has red eyes and a red nose and he says '' I heb a horrible coud in mah nodse''. You see he has a cold and you understand what he said and understand what he says all day because you make a simple adjustment in your head taking into account that he's stuffed up so thereafter everything makes sense.
Knowing that languages shift sounds consistently pretty quickly you'll see that, particularly consonants, and thinks like the T (and th) to D shift , B and V, P and F, etc aren't big changes but slight variations, and they are regelgemässig..
If you get a little more adventuresome you'll see that by look at comparisons you know what something means...
example starting with the easy things, things that have no 'concept' to understand, names, like names of days of the week we see that almost all end in 'tag' and we know English days of the week end in 'day' (and Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, are all 'Dag'
Well we also see words ending 'ig' like schmutzig oder scheissig and and we know the English words 'dirty' and 'shitty'

So we begin to see that where we see Y in our words it was probably a G originally (this hold for Germanic words.....in the other European languages including even the Slavic languages which are cousins, 'I' and 'Y' are just literally the Roman 'i' or 'Greek i')

So knowing the German 'g' can 'slide' to English 'y' (as does in some cases all the Nordic languages) whaddya 'spose the Germanski word 'lager' means.
And thinking of the t to d shift what is a 'gleitlager'?
(You are down with the diphthongs ie and ei right?)

Point is you know already a lot of cognates and near cognates.
Whatcher need is practice hearing since typing ainät talking and FIRST comes, just like when youse was a weee barin, listening, then comes speech..so you need to watch some movies.

Begin with this one, it's very good:
Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?

The title is from Friedrich Grosse from some battle against the Austrians and things weren't going well and he shouted to the men retreating to turn around and fight by shouting ''Dogs, do you want to live forever?''

Maybe then der Stern von Afrika (the Star of Africa, Joachim Hansen,1957 film).

There is of course the great Wolfgang Petersen film Das Boot, and Stalingrad a 1993 German film directed by Joseph Vilsmaier,

And the short 50s film Die Brücke is worth a look see.

Want more suggestions?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

October 25, 2011 11:31PM
actaully i would, being where i am, i have only bittorrenet searches to look for movies, and our media center has only english movies. (and arabic and im waiting to learn a non latin character langauge...). But watching a movie sounds like the perfect solution to my problem.

I have noticed that english is heavily rooted in German, but I was not aware of the letter changes. The "lager" makes since (becoming Later correct?, implieing the brewing process?) That could certainly assist.

i do plan on a 24 hour layover in Frankfurt when i come home, mostly to get out and experience the area, so hopefully i can at least have some basic conversation and my concerns were the hearing and the understanding. So again, excellent idea.

Speaking without using a dithong is tricky, but the more i can hear the more i can figure it out. The books i have discuss it but the written is silent so still a little hard to grasp.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 26, 2011 11:15AM
Gravity Fed

actaully i would, being where i am, i have only bittorrenet searches to look for movies, and our media center has only english movies. (and arabic and im waiting to learn a non latin character langauge...). But watching a movie sounds like the perfect solution to my problem.

Well I didn't think you could find kiddie programs or i would have suggested that. Simpler, clearer and less regional accents and i tell you junge there are a huge array of regional accents even today.

I have noticed that english is heavily rooted in German, but I was not aware of the letter changes. The "lager" makes since (becoming Later correct?, implieing the brewing process?) That could certainly assist.

Better to think that THE roots are Northwestern German. All the other stuff is "fertilizer' which nourished the language so much and colored it.

By 575AD it looked like this:

And no, the sample:
tag (like in "guten tag, scheisskopf"winking smiley becomes--> dag and then ----day
so lager------> layer.

Lager beer is beer you "lay down" and the place you lay things down is also lager. Like where you put your hay----lager, or ammo----munitionslager...

That T--->d shift and I asked about the common diphthongs ei and ie.

ei= long English 'i' so gleit in the gleitlager = glide ...layer----- (plain) bearing--(think; the crank lays on the bearings)

There's lots of similar sound changes like German nagel=nail and hagel=hail and regn=rain

And there's tons of English words which were the same and we still spell them like they once were but we now say them different....laugh(en) lachen;
knight----knecht,
knuckle--Knöchel,
knee---knie
knot---knoten

i do plan on a 24 hour layover in Frankfurt when i come home, mostly to get out and experience the area, so hopefully i can at least have some basic conversation and my concerns were the hearing and the understanding. So again, excellent idea.

See if you can layover 2-3 days and get out of the metro Frankfort area.

Speaking without using a diphthong is tricky, but the more i can hear the more i can figure it out. The books i have discuss it but the written is silent so still a little hard to grasp.

Ya gotta watch it, German does have piles of diphthongs, that's where we got 'em from. But don't drawl 'em.

Just for fun: (roots)
North Germanic became

Proto-Norse · Old Norse · Old Swedish · Old Gutnish · Norn · Greenlandic Norse · Old Norwegian
East

Gothic became · Crimean Gothic · Vandalic · Burgundian
West

Old Saxon became: · Middle Low German · Old High German · Middle High German · Old Frankish · Old Dutch · Middle Dutch · Old Frisian · Middle Frisian* · Old English · Middle English · Early Scots · Middle Scots · Lombardic · Yola

Modern languages
Afrikaans · Alemannic · Danish · Dutch · English · Faroese · German · Gutnish · Icelandic · Limburgish · Low German · Luxembourgish · North Frisian · Norwegian · Saterland Frisian · Scots · Swedish · West Frisian · Yiddish

* Frisian, spoken formerly all along the coast and North See islands from Jutland all the way down to what is now the Belgian/French border WAS the 'middle step" between German (Northern sort) and English. Look it up, its fascinating.
While you're looking up, look up Platt-deutsch, the language just to the South of the Northern coast.

Just reading about the intermediate steps the language took is, for me anyway fascinating. Maybe because I speak the languages BOTH to the West and the North that the old Northern Germanic (Saxon) developed into.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
wildert
Brian Klausen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

October 26, 2011 03:00PM
john vanlandingham
There's lots of similar sound changes like German nagel=nail and hagel=hail and regn=rain

And there's tons of English words which were the same and we still spell them like they once were but we now say them different....laugh(en) lachen;
knight----knecht,
knuckle--Knöchel,
knee---knie
knot---knoten

Or as my wife - who's fluent in German and VERY fond of the language (bordering to the unhealthy smiling smiley) - says it: "Just think of German as a South-Danish dialect - take a wild guess and Germani-fy the Danish word and pronounce it like a German would".

Brgrds
Brian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login