John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Sprechen deutsch sehr gut?
October 26, 2011 03:23PM
wildert
john vanlandingham
There's lots of similar sound changes like German nagel=nail and hagel=hail and regn=rain

And there's tons of English words which were the same and we still spell them like they once were but we now say them different....laugh(en) lachen;
knight----knecht,
knuckle--Knöchel,
knee---knie
knot---knoten

Or as my wife - who's fluent in German and VERY fond of the language (bordering to the unhealthy smiling smiley) - says it: "Just think of German as a South-Danish dialect - take a wild guess and Germani-fy the Danish word and pronounce it like a German would".

And I say English and Swedish are just dialects of Far West Jylländsk like 400 miles West of västkusten. I'd screw with my German friends after a night of trinking and convince them they understood Swedish ''cause I'm to full to speak Chermanski now so I've been talking Swedish last hour or so''
Sometimes it worked and they were convinced we were all speaking Swedish.

But what I'd really do is just remember the shifts and speak ''gamla svensk'.

There were little idiom differences 'grosse' instead of 'stor' , bier vs öl
but remarkable similarity too: frauenzimmer / fruntimmer , osv/ usw

So Tysk was not so difficult. But Dansk, herre gud! Easier to learn rysk

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

October 27, 2011 12:08AM
well not many people seem to want to share the "Stern von Afrika" on any torrents, but i am about done downloading Stalingrad. The internet here rivals most dial up modems of the 1990s so things take a while....

for now ill stick to some generic ideas on what im going, less i confuse myself with the differences between the similarities. That said i've been told i pronounce things more "northern" than southern german due to how "ich ausspreche "ch" "
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 07, 2011 03:07AM

Gravity Fed
figure i put up my "zu tun Liste" for the rally car. Its getting close. why German? eh why not.

1, Installieren ein Kühler
2, Anhängen die Kraftstoffleitung
3, Installieren die Kraftstoffpumpe und filter
4, Installieren der Motor-Computer und der Motor Kabelbaum in das chassis
5, Handbremse
6, Bremleitungen und entlüften die Bremsen
7, Öldruckanzeige
8, Öltemperaturanzeige
9, Kühlmittelanzeige

Robert "Rallymech" can help with präcisierung of the idiom but montage and montierung, ya wouldn't know it but he's a kartoffler fressende Kraut (even if his dialekt is well let's just say fawkin weird.)

Also, logically ----and that's one of their faults------where the hell are you going to montage the kabelbaum_ In your WC? up your heck?

So my question is then, what is wrong with the context of "install" considering in english it is situationally appropriate. Whereas i would see assembly (or variants) to imply the process of putting a harness together. The harness is together, it just needs to be in the car. Also, the statement of chassis seem to indicate the location, unless again, the meaning is different.
wildert
Brian Klausen
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

November 07, 2011 06:45AM
I would say that you would say "montieren" - and so does my wife smiling smiley. "Installieren" is something you do with "Installationen" - that's more for what you would call technical installations - stuff like house electrics, gas and water plumbing and the likes.

Also, you still got the order of the words wrong... you are doing it like English (and Danish). A Danish joke about order of words in German, goes like this: "Ordstilling omvendt" - which sort of translates to "word positioning reverse" - instead of "reverse word positioning". Basically just think of Yoda from Star Wars, and you'll be much closer smiling smiley.

As a hint you wouldn't list: "Install this or that" - It's - "This or that installing" (sort of) - so more along the lines of "Kühler montieren", and so forth.

Makes sense?

And by the way: damn it's hard trying in a second language to teach a third (that I don't even know that well).

Brgrds
Brian

Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 07, 2011 10:07AM
ah, that makes more sense then. I knew the reverse order was common but i though it was associated. So verbs basically seem to go after the nouns, and adjectives, it most cases. Seem to be exceptions though.

case in point something basic.

Was machen Sie? and Konnen Sie machen? (im not bringing up the character map to get the o proper)

that is where i find confusion (thats right out of a German teaching book from like 1972 i have). So what i think my disconnect is, thinking that the "machen" is based on the "Sie" for both cases, whereas, in the first instance, "to do" is in context to "what". And in the other, its in fact related to "you".

maybe i should just learn Dutch!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 07, 2011 11:45AM
Gravity Fed
ah, that makes more sense then. I knew the reverse order was common but i though it was associated. So verbs basically seem to go after the nouns, and adjectives, it most cases. Seem to be exceptions though.

case in point something basic.

Was machen Sie? and Konnen Sie machen? (im not bringing up the character map to get the o proper)

that is where i find confusion (thats right out of a German teaching book from like 1972 i have). So what i think my disconnect is, thinking that the "machen" is based on the "Sie" for both cases, whereas, in the first instance, "to do" is in context to "what". And in the other, its in fact related to "you".

maybe i should just learn Dutch!

Generally you can say the verb at the end of the sentence goes.

A very helpful thing IF YOU CAN PULL IT OFF is to the King James Version Bible Engleski (zu) think(en).

earlier we about correspondence and changes of letter learned.
Then a lot of German a lot more sense makes.

T.ex. Du isn't "you" (although there is a venacular 'yuh' and Dutcha nd Flemsish it is 'U"winking smiley it is 'thou' and sie isnd "formal you" it is "thee"

So something like "whatcher doin' in common Amerkanski which is "was machtst du" is really "What make-est thou"

Oh yeah you can select keyboards so you can shift with shift/alt to alternate like once push to Swedish so i have und so weiter (verkürtz 'usw') and one more push to

Hast thou this concept (be)grippest?

And yo Brian, yeah its weirder-er than hell trying to splain something in/about FORTH language and for that matter something last used tägelisch merh als 35 jahr früher. And something that was 95% spoken: i ddin't write those cutinas letters 'splaining all the naughty things I thought we could have fun doing, that's for sure!

The problems for numbskulls like me is after a while IT ALL makes sense.
There ain't "furrin" words, just different..

Oh yeah, another besser-er word is 'eingebaut' rather than installieren.
No logic, just idiom.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
alkun
Albert Kun
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

November 07, 2011 02:26PM
Lessen see "das Boot"
MikeColangelo
Michael Colangelo
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Spec Miata

November 07, 2011 06:00PM
smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2011 06:11PM by MikeColangelo.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 08, 2011 04:47AM
Ich habe die aktuelle Nachricht für Deutschland gelesen. Ein Satz in sich, jedes Wort kann sein! Ich bin auch wortstellung praktizieren. Ich will diese Woche verbringen auf neues Wort lernern und die wortstellung mehr.

I think that is approaching "correct" I actually only had to look up word (stellung), which im pleased with. Also, im starting to understand the purpose of the prefix "ge-" implying the passed tense, or in besser terms our "-ed".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 05:15AM by Gravity Fed.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 08, 2011 05:28AM
sometimes, i just dont understand what a sentence even means. the translation in general, making it hard to comprehend.

case in point, this sentence from one the news articles..

"Jetzt, wo es aufs Ende zugeht, kann er einem beinahe leidtun"

the literal translation seems to me "Now, where is (again?) end approaching, can it a almost pity"

that is the best i can make of that and i have no freaking idea what its supposed to mean. I think that is the hardest part of this whole process (im sure ill be told i have that right on the money).
wildert
Brian Klausen
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

November 08, 2011 05:45AM
It means something along the lines of "Now that it's nearing the end, you can almost feel sorry (or pity) ... him (I guess... would depend on the context as I see it)".

Again - I'm not particularly good at German, but reading is obviously the least hard.

Brgrds
Brian

Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 08, 2011 06:19AM
i figure if i can read and understand, ill stand a better chance of hearing and understanding. I mean honestly, if i cant read it and get whats going on, what chance do i have.

i see how you made sense of it, and frankly, that didnt really come to mind.

die Frage ist nur: wann gesteht er sich das auch selbst ein?

here is another (from the same article...)

i know it means literally "the question is only: when admits it oneselfs that also even a?

i think meaning more along the lines of "the question is only, when does one admit it to oneself?"
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 08, 2011 10:12AM
Gravity Fed
Ich habe die aktuelle Nachricht für Deutschland gelesen. Ein Satz in sich, jedes Wort kann sein! Ich bin auch wortstellung praktizieren. Ich will diese Woche verbringen auf neues Wort lernern und die wortstellung mehr.

I think that is approaching "correct" I actually only had to look up word (stellung), which im pleased with. Also, im starting to understand the purpose of the prefix "ge-" implying the passed tense, or in besser terms our "-ed".

Ya noez, one value of furring language is understanding the mother tounge better. So if you 'dis-assemble' English words you'll see same roots often.
Stell is root in Krautski. In Angleskij we have "a place you might place an animal" aka a "stall", we have the word in-stall, installation. Hmmm Einstellung---install(ation) ..

That's one reason I say watch war movies. The plot is easy so you can listen.
(shit I was gonna write "we know what eine mg stellung ist" I need more tea....)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Ultra Moderator

November 08, 2011 03:43PM
alkun
Lessen see "das Boot"

(edit for huge pic)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 03:44PM by Dazed_Driver.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 08, 2011 10:27PM
it just takes time. Lots to take in but its making a lot more sense honestly. I might try to search for kid tv shows as well just to get fundamental.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login