Posted by Greg Donovan 
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

Motorcycles
June 22, 2012 03:36AM
So, I have no experience with them but I am curious about them.

Specifially early 70's bikes like the Suzuki GT186. Would owning something like that be a huge money pit? How tough is it to get parts for them? Easily ordered or eBay treasure hunts that result in me having a collection of parts bikes?

Looking at getting something in the fall to tinker with that I can ride around town and out on some county roads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2012 04:05AM by Greg Donovan.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Motorcycles
June 22, 2012 11:56AM
Death.
Around town guarantees death. Average approach speed for a fatal motorcycle accident: 29 mph
Average impact speed for a fatal :19 mph

Sumpin like 75% of all drivers whop are gonna die on bikes die in the first 6 -8 months after purchase.

Early 70s are probably going to be 'spensive on parts from simple rarity.

And chassi, suspension, brakes are doo doo on that old junk....so why?

So here's the scenario, sunny pleasant day, you're puttering along paying attention to the sputtering motor (cause the carbie is gummed up from 35 years of corrosion) approaching intersection and a car approaching intersection turns left with no signal, you lock up the rear brakes and t bone the door, and break both legs on the bars then fly over, land on head (no problem you have a helmet) slide along and hit the curb and break your neck, bounce off and end up in the road, and get run over by a guy in his lifted turbo diesel..

Read the "UCLA Hurt Report". You'll see shocking figures on how when riders are approachiong what is their death and are presented with 3 choices to avoid the accident (a: brake, b: gas it, c: maneuver--turn to avoid) that over 75% choose the wrong thing and of those that by sheer chance choose the right thing that over 75% execute it wrong...

Get a late 80s Kawasaki KDX200 and get it street legal so you can putter out of town and go play in the woods or on dirt.
Then you probably can only blame yourself for crashes and its just dirt..

Makes you a way better rally driver, too.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 22, 2012 12:27PM
I know a Ruckus isn't much different than a motorcycle, but I've always felt like it was safer around town. The name of the game is CONSTANT VIGILANCE. People will turn out in front of you. Be constantly aware of cars around you as they are still just as dumb as they were before, but now when they do something dumb, it can mean your life. I hate the ad campaign, "Look Twice, Save a Life." Most motorcycle drivers are called organ donors for a reason. My wife almost killed some harley guy the other day. 3 lane interstate, she's in middle lane going 60-65 in a 55. Harley comes bombing up in her rear view and blasts by her on the left at about 80. She goes to move over to right lane and turns out his buddy was splitting the other side. Luckily she saw him at the last second. Fucking retards.

They seem like a good way to save money. Lower insurance, less fuel, etc. They also seem like a good way to end up as a vegetable.
I always felt like at least with a scooter, my top speed was limited to 35 and realistically spend most time closer to 30 and since I am constantly vigilant about side streets and cars I'm pretty safe. With a motorcycle I guarantee I'd spend much more time around 40 which that 10 MPH could be the difference between braking and avoidance and splat.
Fargo area, I'd say John's suggestion is spot on. That's probably my next move if I ever buy something with 2 wheels again, a KDX200.
Not sure what the

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 22, 2012 01:40PM
NoCoast
With a motorcycle I guarantee I'd spend much more time around 40 which that 10 MPH could be the difference between braking and avoidance and splat.
Fargo area, I'd say John's suggestion is spot on. That's probably my next move if I ever buy something with 2 wheels again, a KDX200.
Not sure what the

Just got off the phone with Martin Walter in Ontario and he's looking for a KDX200...you can cruise logging roads--not blaze 90 mph, but cruise fun like, and in the woods they're all you really ever need..

And they're such a nice color.

And speaking of which,
GRANT, 50mm DMS lower spring seat and lock rings, you were spossed to be looking.
Please look. I got him some 50mm inserts and I'm not sure that I'll have my lower seats and lock rings done soon enough so please look and send them here if you find some, and bill him direct.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 22, 2012 03:00PM
XT225 Yamaha..lots around. Great bikes made for many years. We've had a couple of them. Ruckus is cute but doesn't handle well, as most scoots don't.

I've had people actually look straight at me me from a side street and still pull out. They'll get part way out and then the light comes on and they slam the brakes....hope you didn't swing to the right...

Had a guy change lanes on me on the freeway once. I was next to the barrier, no where to go following another bike. I saw him glance at the mirror and knew what was about to happen . He didn't hear the horn,but when I planted a boot in his car door he woke up.

People are total idiots and many shouldn't be driving, or riding.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Mod Moderator

June 22, 2012 04:51PM
heymagic

People are total idiots and many shouldn't be driving, or riding.

quote for truth.

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

June 22, 2012 06:43PM
Was wondering how long it would take for kawasaki to come up. One of them would be fine. I have zero brand loyalty at this point.

I want good brakes but I wouldn't know a good handling bike from a bad one. Are the rear monoshock bikes that much better?

I definately want an enduro. There are some nice county roads and logging roads to ride on that
Are only a 2 hour ride away. a dirt bike would be cool but I would need a truck to enjoy it.

So it seems like I need to get the newest bike I can afford.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2012 07:14PM by Greg Donovan.
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 22, 2012 07:51PM
If you like your kidneys a monoshock is the answer. The difference is absolute night and day. They came out in the mid 80s if I remember correctly.

Old bikes also have old gas tanks and that alone is enough reason to run away. Leave the grief for the guys on Discovery Channel...
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

June 22, 2012 08:27PM
Are the old tanks that unsafe or am I running because of rust problems?

I do like my kidneys...
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 22, 2012 09:20PM
Rust. So many bikes just sit around and the water and shit in the bottom just rots them out. Obviously can be fixed but a late model wonderful riding bike is only a few hundred more than you'll have in an old POS that will be grief.
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

June 22, 2012 09:45PM
Gotchya, makes sense.

Also explains why the prices are so low on the older small displacement bikes.

Seems like 1,000 is the magic number for a good street legal enduro bike that is ready to go.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 22, 2012 10:00PM
heymagic
Rust. So many bikes just sit around and the water and shit in the bottom just rots them out. Obviously can be fixed but a late model wonderful riding bike is only a few hundred more than you'll have in an old POS that will be grief.

Yeah most of the plastics that everybody started using are usually quite rust resistant, at least in my extremely limited experience.

Anything with levers in back for the shock you'll want to have a look-see and make sure the spacers and bearings aren't whupped to death.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 23, 2012 01:17AM
Most 'enduros' or dual sports as they are called now did not have plastic tanks. The desert tanks were certainly retro fitted from time to time tho and you do see them. You just get into so much work on the old stuff and as JV mentioned parts are tough and it is hard to know for sure the part you're buying will actually work on the bike you own. Now for someone with years of experience it gets easier, especially if it is a brand they know well.

Check with your local authorities on what is street legal. Our state used to allow some dirt bikes to be fitted with lites and horns and be licensed. That is no longer allowed and many of the previous conversions are having the license plates revoked. I see stuff on CL that is advertised as street legal but they are conversions and the clock is ticking on many of them.

Wear a good helmet, don't wear sandals.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

June 23, 2012 08:29AM
Stop talking about motorcycles! My father-in-law is in the Yukon right now on his way back from Alaska, making it to the Arctic Circle on his Goldwing (yeah, it's a two wheeled Caddy, but he bought it to ride with my mother-in-law, then cancer took her, and he just hasn't been able to pull the trigger on a different bike yet). Between this thread and his SPOT GPS/satellite "check ins" I started cruising Craigslist for a KDX to putter around on.

Fortunately the Rock Auto bill to keep my Legacy from falling apart will keep me away from such foolishness.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 23, 2012 09:29AM
Brent and I sold our Boulevards this spring. Mine went to Canada, Brents to Russia. No time to ride these days.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login