Posted by Greg Donovan 
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

Re: Motorcycles
July 02, 2012 08:34PM
In my research I have read similar comments about the DRZ regarding suspension.

I have zero brand loyalty at this point in the game.

I want to keep it as close to 300 pounds or under, have good brakes, street legal, able to handle a 90 minute trip at 55-65 mph, handle gravel road cruising and some easy two track stuff. Electric start would be nice.

I am leaning towards 4 stroke because I don't want to be limited in how far I can ride by how much oil I can carry.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

July 02, 2012 09:32PM
Greg,

My son bought a DRZ 400 a couple years ago as his first street bike. It was really a great machine. We did a few easy mods to the carb and air box and added a Kuba link to lower it just a bit. He rode several times to college, which involved 20 miles of 50mph 2 lane road and about another 10 miles of 70+ interstate freeway each direction. Bike was a bit light on the freeway stuff in traffic or around trucks at 70-75. Fine on 2 lane stuff and great on gravel roads. I think they are fast becoming a modern classic. You won't hate it I'm sure.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 02, 2012 11:46PM
There was a guy that took the same route to me as work a few years back with a DRZ400 with all black plastics. Looked amazing. I would get a total hard on for the bike at the light on 13th and Monaco, which was where I always ran into him. He never looked my way but always ended up a car length in front of me in the other lane in perfect viewing distance. Like a stripper at a strip club. Then we'd pull away from the light and I'd realize I didn't actually have a boner, just a vagina and during the next twenty or so blocks I'd ride in compete dejection on my gay little 50 cc Honda Ruckus scooter watching him disappear into the distance. If I ever buy one, it will get all black plastics so I can find my boner again...

Grant Hughes
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

July 02, 2012 11:53PM
NoCoast
There was a guy that took the same route to me as work a few years back with a DRZ400 with all black plastics. Looked amazing. I would get a total hard on for the bike at the light on 13th and Monaco, which was where I always ran into him. He never looked my way but always ended up a car length in front of me in the other lane in perfect viewing distance. Like a stripper at a strip club. Then we'd pull away from the light and I'd realize I didn't actually have a boner, just a vagina and during the next twenty or so blocks I'd ride in compete dejection on my gay little 50 cc Honda Ruckus scooter watching him disappear into the distance. If I ever buy one, it will get all black plastics so I can find my boner again...

I plastidip'd mine black. (alex is gonna make fun of me for the plastidip again- but the shit is awesome) Need to find a rockstar sticker set for cheap so I can hack out the good bits and make the yellow seat look a little less funny.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 03, 2012 12:03AM
NoCoast

Must've found it at least once since a wee one is on the way..

I remember I think there something connected somehow with that and ....wait, never mind....

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

July 03, 2012 12:14AM
Yeah, while the blue and white DRZ looks cool, the yellow is neat (but not my favorite) but man do they look awesome in black.

I would imagine that sucker gets extra hot out in the sun.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 03, 2012 06:31AM
john vanlandingham

She's here and she's amazing!!! Hence posting at 5 am... smiling smiley

Grant Hughes
derek
Derek Bottles
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

July 03, 2012 09:15AM
Go to Netflix and watch Cycles South for a reminder of how much you can do with so little.

I personally ride a BMW F650 GS and think it is a grand bike for around town and gravel roads, way to big for trails but I live in the city and almost never have time to get out to where trails are. It is also one of the few bike that can be set for my 4'-11" wife to ride or my 6'-3" self thus we have matching bikes, hers lowered mine raised.

I really liked the DRZ400's I have ridden.

In the long run reality always wins.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 03, 2012 09:28AM
NoCoast
john vanlandingham

She's here and she's amazing!!! Hence posting at 5 am... smiling smiley

Who? What?
Whaddya saying Grant?
Wee one has arrived?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
mothra
Matt Smith
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

July 03, 2012 10:53AM
derek
Go to Netflix and watch Cycles South for a reminder of how much you can do with so little.

I personally ride a BMW F650 GS and think it is a grand bike for around town and gravel roads, way to big for trails but I live in the city and almost never have time to get out to where trails are. It is also one of the few bike that can be set for my 4'-11" wife to ride or my 6'-3" self thus we have matching bikes, hers lowered mine raised.

The F650GS is by far one of the best all around bikes you can get. comfortable, reliable, etc. Not a trail bike though.

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

July 03, 2012 11:26AM
Congrats Grant! Little girls are awesome! The wife caught mine eating a worm yesterday, apparently it was a "wormie noodle"

Eh, the 650gs didn't do much for me (does work well for short riders though) for the same money you can get a bike that does a whole lot more for the adrenaline monster inside. It is heavy, not good for trails, not much in a straight line, and will get out handled in the corners. Far too expensive to replace parts if you go down. the 1150gs that dad rode for a bit was still pretty much the same way, great for road trips though.

I think the adventure bikes are a love it or hate it ordeal. Realistically when is the next time you are planning a motorcycle trip through south america?

Oh and I finally put the RMX back together this last weekend. This thread inspired me, and the neighbors hate me. Modified a couple of exhaust pipes to build my own pipe, cleaned the carbs, freshed up the gear oil and she pulls hard and strong. I still think there is something funky with the clutch that activates the powervalve though. I can hear something ticking/clacking. Soon as that's taken care of she is going up for sale.

mothra
derek

The F650GS is by far one of the best all around bikes you can get. comfortable, reliable, etc. Not a trail bike though.
SgtRauksauff
Jorden
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
whichever one i happen to be driving at the time

July 03, 2012 11:31AM
I really liked the Triumph Tiger at the Chicago motorcycle show this last february. and there was a KLR that was pretty sweet also.

I'm almost thinking of taking my SV650 and putting softer suspenders on it, with some Anakee tires. I've found myself up a couple of dirt/gravel roads, and have wished for better off-road manners than a sport commuter has, lol!

--sarge

---** To be in compliance with the Anarchy **---
Jorden R. Kleier
Baraboo, Wisconsin, USA
1990 Mazdog Protege 4WD
derek
Derek Bottles
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

July 03, 2012 03:32PM
As is always the case, figure out what you are going to do with the motorcycle, not what you think you want to do but what you will really do with it, then pick the bike that works for that best.

In the long run reality always wins.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

July 03, 2012 04:09PM
derek
As is always the case, figure out what you are going to do with the motorcycle, not what you think you want to do but what you will really do with it, then pick the bike that works for that best.

Precisely smileys with beer

I've started lusting over the Husky 610 sm recently

mothra
Matt Smith
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

July 05, 2012 11:20AM
derek

I'll second that. Any motorcycle that is labeled as a dualsport or adventure bike is going to have been designed for a different balance of street and trail. I like the balance the GS dakar has for my riding. Some of my friends have more street oriented setups and others more dirt. Figure out what you want to do with the bike, figure out where you are willing to compromise, and whatever you get you will like the next bike much better.

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login