Dazed_Driver
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Re: Motorcycles
June 26, 2012 11:17PM
john vanlandingham
Dazed_Driver
You are a fucking douchebag John.

And you are, as always, too stupid to understand, it is pitiful just how stupid you are.

And put your stupid name up or get out of here

Fuck you.

I understand you. I comprehend you. I can read the slop that you spew on the screen. Your slurs and jabs and insults and trying to tear me down is getting old. You're a side show. A joke and a blatant waste of space. If you at least were more clever, it would be entertaining, but you're a broken record of the same boring shit. Your only reason for being here is to try to sway people to driving the cars that you want, and to buy your shit. If they talk about wanting to spend their money, money they earned, for THEIR wants, not their needs, you start attacking. You hide behind the guise of "I'm joking" and "it's to point them in the right direction."

It's not. It's fucking bullshit, and everyone knows it but you. No one is calling you out on not trying to joke, its that everyone sees through your ruse. YOU are the one that can't seem to tell that trying to playfully poke people into doing what you want is fucking annoying. Everyone gets that your "only playing..."

Stop being such a bigot and start looking at your actions through everyone else's eyes, or get the fuck out of here.

We're both in violation of rules. Your move. Is this your sandbox, your infomercial? Or is it Skyes?

Shall I see you in the sin bin?

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

June 26, 2012 11:42PM
Is the super Sherpa its own model or just a trim level of the KLR250?
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

June 26, 2012 11:42PM
Greg Donovan
aj_johnson
Greg, the TW while it is a bit gutless is a great bike. Usually hard to find in the used market because they are such a great bike for low cost and always work. People don't often get rid of them.
The other plus is you can throw the keys to anyone and know they are gonna get home and it is one of the easiest bikes ever to learn on. (it really does make a good keeper for when you upgrade to newer, bigger better)

The kdx does have a great history. But at the end of the day it doesn't have a lot of the comforts that make frequent riding on the street enjoyable.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you can bump it to 2k it will really open more options.

My max is gonna be right around 1100-1500.

Another reason I want a dualsport is that is easier to justify to my wife. A offroad only bike has limited use. Can't pitch the mpg angle as a selling point if I need to put it on a trailer behind the car to get it out to play.

Hmmm I see the occasional drz pop up around here for $1800 usually because of scratched up plastics and sitting a year or two. But they are simple to get back up and going.

I've also seen two wr250's and a couple 426's pop up for just over 1k recently. Don't know much about the older 250's but the newer ones are great (probrably still the same motor with plastics upgrades)

There is one of these in my area for 1500 right now
02 wr 426
http://fargo.craigslist.org/mcy/3083723229.html

klx 300 for $1500
http://fargo.craigslist.org/mcy/3101989420.html

Just because it's another one of my favorite reliable bikes and I got distracted while searching
http://fargo.craigslist.org/mcy/3073575602.html

John and I chatted a bit about 2t's this afternoon and we both agree to avoid anything with fancy powervalves. Just a headache in disguise. Single piece power valves that they put on the MX bikes are just fine but the multipiece ones they put in trail bikes like the RMX are eventually going to give you headaches.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

June 26, 2012 11:47PM
I thought sherpa was just a nickname. I've never been around one, been around the klr650. First road one when I was 12, couldn't come within a foot of touching the ground. My uncle told me I could ride it until I couldn't pick it back up. That was probably one of the greatest lessons I've ever had about riding within your limits. Also the first time I almost shat myself on a bike.
SgtRauksauff
Jorden
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
whichever one i happen to be driving at the time

June 27, 2012 02:11PM
john vanlandingham
Death.
Around town guarantees death. Average approach speed for a fatal motorcycle accident: 29 mph
Average impact speed for a fatal :19 mph

Sumpin like 75% of all drivers whop are gonna die on bikes die in the first 6 -8 months after purchase.

Early 70s are probably going to be 'spensive on parts from simple rarity.

And chassi, suspension, brakes are doo doo on that old junk....so why?

So here's the scenario, sunny pleasant day, you're puttering along paying attention to the sputtering motor (cause the carbie is gummed up from 35 years of corrosion) approaching intersection and a car approaching intersection turns left with no signal, you lock up the rear brakes and t bone the door, and break both legs on the bars then fly over, land on head (no problem you have a helmet) slide along and hit the curb and break your neck, bounce off and end up in the road, and get run over by a guy in his lifted turbo diesel..

no, it's this:

sunny pleasant day, you're coming up to a stop sign at a T intersection. Being the attentive rider that you are, you see the lifted Duramax coming from the right, with no signal. But you see him starting to veer left, down the trunk of the T, the road you're on, so you stop a little earlier to stay out of his way. Only, in the middle of the turn, he leans forward for something, yanking the wheel, which then brings the headlight of the lifted Chevy pointing right at your face, and there is absolutely no way to avoid being nearly squashed. Only your ninja-like reflexes allow you to jump off the bike as it gets folded under the front bumper, and you get your leg out from under and leap off and run away before you can be made into sausage.

apparently, chevy a-pillars are a known problem area for visibility. Fucker didn't even get a stinkin' ticket, which pisses me off.

--sarge

---** To be in compliance with the Anarchy **---
Jorden R. Kleier
Baraboo, Wisconsin, USA
1990 Mazdog Protege 4WD
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 27, 2012 02:26PM
Hmmmm I dunno, sounds bad but maybe we should see which story if more horr-if-ic , and so maybe we should add a Pole.

SgtRauksauff
john vanlandingham
Death.
Around town guarantees death. Average approach speed for a fatal motorcycle accident: 29 mph
Average impact speed for a fatal :19 mph

Sumpin like 75% of all drivers whop are gonna die on bikes die in the first 6 -8 months after purchase.

Early 70s are probably going to be 'spensive on parts from simple rarity.

And chassi, suspension, brakes are doo doo on that old junk....so why?

So here's the scenario, sunny pleasant day, you're puttering along paying attention to the sputtering motor (cause the carbie is gummed up from 35 years of corrosion) approaching intersection and a car approaching intersection turns left with no signal, you lock up the rear brakes and t bone the door, and break both legs on the bars then fly over, land on head (no problem you have a helmet) slide along and hit the curb and break your neck, bounce off and end up in the road, and get run over by a guy in his lifted turbo diesel..

no, it's this:

sunny pleasant day, you're coming up to a stop sign at a T intersection. Being the attentive rider that you are, you see the lifted Duramax coming from the right, with no signal. But you see him starting to veer left, down the trunk of the T, the road you're on, so you stop a little earlier to stay out of his way. Only, in the middle of the turn, he leans forward for something, yanking the wheel, which then brings the headlight of the lifted Chevy pointing right at your face, and there is absolutely no way to avoid being nearly squashed. Only your ninja-like reflexes allow you to jump off the bike as it gets folded under the front bumper, and you get your leg out from under and leap off and run away before you can be made into sausage.

apparently, chevy a-pillars are a known problem area for visibility. Fucker didn't even get a stinkin' ticket, which pisses me off.

--sarge

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
SgtRauksauff
Jorden
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

June 27, 2012 02:47PM
Well, my story wasn't hypothetical, it happened to me last year. It wasn't really bad, the truck owner's insurance paid me 1800 bucks to fix the bike, which I did for around $500. So I bought some new tires and a new helmet with the extra. No broken bones, cuts, bruises, strains, or even dirty underwear on my part.

I do kinda want to get a dualsport bike though, like a DRZ or a KLR (or a Triumph Tiger!) Or maybe I should just put some more aggressive tires on my SV so it handles better in the dirt/sand/gravel.

And why do we need to add someone from between Germany and Belarus?

Jorden R. Kleier
Baraboo, Wisconsin, USA
1990 Mazdog Protege 4WD
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 27, 2012 04:37PM
SgtRauksauff
Well, my story wasn't hypothetical, it happened to me last year. It wasn't really bad, the truck owner's insurance paid me 1800 bucks to fix the bike, which I did for around $500. So I bought some new tires and a new helmet with the extra. No broken bones, cuts, bruises, strains, or even dirty underwear on my part.

I do kinda want to get a dualsport bike though, like a DRZ or a KLR (or a Triumph Tiger!) Or maybe I should just put some more aggressive tires on my SV so it handles better in the dirt/sand/gravel.

And why do we need to add someone from between Germany and Belarus?

Well it would add some color if we said "So Jerzy was puttering along on his WSK a when Kryztof came blazing thru the intersection in his

(which is a Lubin 51---obviously a Polish copy of a GAZ51 which you can read all about here:
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%93%D0%90%D0%97-51
"

and then......'

See?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
SgtRauksauff
Jorden
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

June 27, 2012 05:05PM
but I bet that Jerzy and Kryztof have more respect for their vehicles and each other than 90% of the motorists in 'Merika...

Jorden R. Kleier
Baraboo, Wisconsin, USA
1990 Mazdog Protege 4WD
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 27, 2012 06:59PM
SgtRauksauff
but I bet that Jerzy and Kryztof have more respect for their vehicles and each other than 90% of the motorists in 'Merika...

Doubt it, driving is still a highly macho thing in all the former Warsava-Pakt counties.
I found a site "Rally in the NW" once and it was NW of Russia.
I can read enough Russian for read "foto album" and click "winter rally sprint" and see a GAZ51 truck all for wheels in the air cause front and rear bumpers were caught on the lips of the two jumps it tried to clear. And failed
In the snow.
They are certifiable lunatics.

I wrote things to that effect in the guest book and got tons of chuckles and thumbs up for calling them all crazy.
It turns out they have a class for old Army trucks. They hammer them.
Sideways.eye popping smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
SgtRauksauff
Jorden
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

June 27, 2012 07:44PM
now THAT sounds kinda fun to watch! at a RallyX last year that we put on near a cranberry bog, a truck driver (they transport fresh-picked cranberries in dump trucks) went through the course in the truck. He'd already had at least a 6-pack, but since we were basically finished for the day and there was nobody out there, we stood back and watched. It was not a pretty sight.

But I completely understand the acceptance, and indeed pursuit, of being deemed crazy. When we do our ice-rallyXes on lake Winnebago, there is a large contingent of Polski that come up from the Chicago area and make some of our 'harebrained' antics look like dullard child's play.

gaz-51 antics:

Jorden R. Kleier
Baraboo, Wisconsin, USA
1990 Mazdog Protege 4WD
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 27, 2012 08:19PM
SgtRauksauff
When we do our ice-rallyXes on lake Winnebago, there is a large contingent of Polski that come up from the Chicago area and make some of our 'harebrained' antics look like dullard child's play.

gaz-51 antics:

Holy shit they love these things:
"TECT" that's test
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="

?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2012 08:20PM by john vanlandingham.
mothra
Matt Smith
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

June 28, 2012 12:02PM
Greg Donovan
Is the super Sherpa its own model or just a trim level of the KLR250?

It was package/variant for the KLR250 for a few years. I can't remember why they were more desirable than the standard KLR 250. neither were great bikes.

Your budget is going to limit your options. My favorite budget bike is the DRZ400 that a few have mentioned here. Be carefull in shopping there is a dualsport and an enduro variant of the bike and I cannot remember the designation difference. One is an E and the other an S. You can look at some of the smaller street bikes like the CRF230, etc. Many of the small street legal, four stroke, dual sports are going to have corners cut with suspension and brakes quality. Its near impossable to plate a 2-stroke where I live in NC. I personally prefer the bigger 650cc bikes for the type of riding you want to do but they are tough to find in your budget not worn out.

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

June 28, 2012 02:38PM
From what I have learned is that the Sherpa has electric start and digital speedometer. It also wasn't that weird teal color.

Looking around and it seems the DRZ-400E is the trail bike and the S is the dual sport. Yeah, that would need me to hit the 2-3,000 range.

I have been using http://www.bikefinds.com/ to locate stuff.

Matt, what makes you say the KLR was not considered a great bike?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2012 11:10PM by Greg Donovan.
mothra
Matt Smith
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

July 02, 2012 02:10PM
Greg Donovan

Matt, what makes you say the KLR was not considered a great bike?

i had one for a few years. it was a great first bike for me but quickly became uninteresting. To heavy for offroad, crappy suspension and brakes, underpowered. If you look at the people that love them you will see that they sink a lot of money into aftermarket parts to fix issues with the bike. My BMW F650GS Dakar is hands down a better bike across the board. But I can't keep up with a DRZ400 on double or single track. The BMW is better on gravel/roads and can carry more gear. But at used prices around $4K and up out of your price range. The BMW still has crappy suspension but its easy to upgrade.

I would consider a DRZ if I could stop lusting after a Husqvarna.....

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login