Dane Aura
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

Re: SpecialStage looks like it is dying
November 07, 2013 03:07PM
NoCoast
bknblk2
So just how many mall shootings, theater shootings, bus stop incidents, CL robberies have been positively effected by a carrying citizen?

1 per 16 criminal acts committed with a firearm is prevented or interrupted by someone with a gun.

How's that for a statistic from a statistician. I just made that number up FYI, but google will find it and three years from now I'll be on snopes as the false source for a claim that made the rounds on facebook and twitter in 2014. Voila, internet fame!

But in all seriousness, what does that number need to be?
I have been exposed to gun death. From a family member accidently killing a person in a hunting accident to a friend's brother killing himself in russian roulette. There is a level of personal responsibility that people have to take.
Yes, you are far more likely to be killed by a family member with your own gun than to use it on someone else ON AVERAGE.

Hahaha genius!

Agree. Personal responsibility. I shoot ALOT. Comp shooting, hunting, plinking with the kiddos,training/classes, etc and its just like everything else in life. Safety, practice and awareness.

Russian roulette really?! Damn.....

I'm more nervous of people who shouldn't be driving more so than legal carriers lol. Some people shouldn't be allowed a bicycle let alone a 2 ton projectile....
Please Login or Register to post a reply
deaner
Dane Aura
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

Re: This is now a gun thread
November 07, 2013 03:10PM
NoCoast
Biathlon is .22 rifles. I'll likely start with a club loaner one since the real deal rifles are like $3k.

Would a skeletonized ruger/savage work out? Put some decent glass on it and be at like $5-800. I can't imagine engaging more than 60yds. But I've never looked into it soooo.....
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 07, 2013 03:55PM
I was more thinking a simple long rifle from Cabellas. I was hitting cans at 50 yards pretty easily with a $200 one up on the ranch a few weeks ago. Figure I'm not going to win at either shooting or skiing for first couple years anyhow so keep cost of entry into sport low. Haven't skied competitively since high school...

Grant Hughes
deaner
Dane Aura
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

November 07, 2013 04:15PM
Oh yeah that'd work fine. I wasn't sure if you were hoity toity lol. I would spend a few bucks on s nice scope with the emphasis on anti fog and more eye relief. Fatigue bugging out your eyes and sweat steaming out your glass sucks ass. Next time you're up shooting, run around or get the heart rate pumping away lol. Changes the whole dynamic.

My first USPSA match I was humbled beyond belief lol! I thought I was a good shot prior lol. Shooting under stress and fatigue taught me more in the 4-5 min of the match, than years of static paper punching. Sometimes its great to get your ass kicked to find the flaws to improve upon.
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 07, 2013 04:41PM
Last week a lady in 'Seattle' was attacked by 2 pit bulls. Bystanders tried to intervene and were bitten. Someone got a gun and shot one dog , which then took off. Police arrived at some point and killed both dogs. The lady died from the attack yesterday. Several fatal public stabbings in Seattle recently. We as an animal are relatively defenseless, not terribly fast afoot, no claws, dull teeth, lots of soft spots. Our survival has always depended on intelligence and weapons. Same for modern man. Law abiding people with arms have never been a problem for other law abiding people. Presence of a firearm is never a guarantee of adequate defense but absence of a firearm puts the balance way in favor of the darkside. Like in racing, belts and helmets are no guarantee of survival but the absence leans heavily towards chaos and regret.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

November 07, 2013 06:30PM
NoCoast
Biathlon is .22 rifles. I'll likely start with a club loaner one since the real deal rifles are like $3k.

Just get mark to make you one with the 3d printer. Bet he could even make it more aerodynamic with some CFD testing!
Jens
Jens
Ultra Moderator

November 08, 2013 08:59AM
heymagic
Last week a lady in 'Seattle' was attacked by 2 pit bulls. Bystanders tried to intervene and were bitten. Someone got a gun and shot one dog , which then took off. Police arrived at some point and killed both dogs. The lady died from the attack yesterday. ....

I live out in farmland. The closest house is about 1,000 feet away, and others are farther.

A couple of weeks ago I was checking my wife's car in the driveway at night after she came home from work. I heard a bunch of noise in the woods (maybe 50-150 feet away). I couldn't see anything with a flashlight, so I went in the house and grabbed a gun just incase.

We have deer, coyotes, (I am told bear, but never seen any), and assorted smaller stuff.

No Bambies, nor Yogi, nor anything else was shot.
Creech
Scott Creech
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

November 08, 2013 10:35AM
Jens
heymagic
Last week a lady in 'Seattle' was attacked by 2 pit bulls. Bystanders tried to intervene and were bitten. Someone got a gun and shot one dog , which then took off. Police arrived at some point and killed both dogs. The lady died from the attack yesterday. ....

I live out in farmland. The closest house is about 1,000 feet away, and others are farther.

A couple of weeks ago I was checking my wife's car in the driveway at night after she came home from work. I heard a bunch of noise in the woods (maybe 50-150 feet away). I couldn't see anything with a flashlight, so I went in the house and grabbed a gun just incase.

We have deer, coyotes, (I am told bear, but never seen any), and assorted smaller stuff.

No Bambies, nor Yogi, nor anything else was shot.

I live near a National Forest, myself - sounds similar to your locale. About a year-ago, The Wife wakes me because she can hear something digging and scratching at the foundation of the house next to the bedroom. So I get up, pull on some pants, grab a pistol & light and go outside, expecting I was going to have to shoot a racoon or armadillo.

I look all around, can't find the critter anywhere, and JUST as I'm about to go back in the house a Bear pokes its head up out of some tall weeds not 10' away and "choofs" at me. He stares into the light for a second, then turns-tail and I could hear him "woofing" as he ran down the hill, crashing through the brush. So, I put a couple of rounds into the dirt to sort of "encourage" him to keep on keepin' on. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

Damn glad it was a Bear and not a big Cat - Bear looks at a human, and generally runs. Cat looks at you and thinks to itself "Yeah, I can TAKE HIM....."

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2013 10:35AM by Creech.
Jens
Jens
Ultra Moderator

November 08, 2013 10:39AM
Creech
.....Damn glad it was a Bear and not a big Cat - Bear looks at a human, and generally runs. Cat looks at you and thinks to itself "Yeah, I can TAKE HIM....."

LOL!! funny.
imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

November 08, 2013 11:04AM
You guys have all the fun. I just have deer setting off my motion detector lights, and a skunk I almost stepped on coming out of the garage one night a couple of days ago

Don Kennedy
Jens
Jens
Ultra Moderator

November 08, 2013 11:20AM
My German Shepherd Kurt (deceased) tangled with skunks 3 or 4 times. Cleaning him up each time was NO fun.

He was very smart except he didn't seem to learn anything about not messing with skunks.
alkun
Albert Kun
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

November 08, 2013 01:32PM
speaking of kalashnikovs and dying...

Sad story going on here: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20131022/articles/131029886

Generally, I'd say one needs to be at least 18 to qualify for a Darwin award, but its clearly a bad idea to be walking around with a pretty realistic looking fake gun, especially in light of the fact that police had dealt with several bad guys with AK 47s in this area in the last few years.
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 08, 2013 02:55PM
Yup, bad deal. Someone removed the orange tipped barrel. If it happened as reported the cop was justified. We weren't there so no way of knowing more than that. Kid could have dropped gun as demanded, raised hands and still be here...if that is what happened. They just had a 12 yo kill a teacher and wound at least one other student. A kid was caught up here with a gun and a large amount of ammo at school with the intent of killing, I think he is eleven. Certainly nothing caused or cured by my, Jens, Danes gun ownership. I'd bet more people are still killed by cars, boats and motorcycles every year.

Speaking of untimely deaths...why are people allowed to put makeshift memorials alongside the road? Usually it is in a bad place where we don't need a distraction. many times the death occured because the person was drunk, drugged or otherwise at fault. They ain't buried there. Why do they get two headstones? I don't see memorials in the grocery store where someone tipped over with a heart attack? Do people put markers up at home in the bed or easy chair where Aunt Tilley moved on?
alosix
Jason Powers
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
02 WRX, still to quiet, but it finished a rally

November 08, 2013 03:02PM
alkun
speaking of kalashnikovs and dying...

Sad story going on here: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20131022/articles/131029886

Generally, I'd say one needs to be at least 18 to qualify for a Darwin award, but its clearly a bad idea to be walking around with a pretty realistic looking fake gun, especially in light of the fact that police had dealt with several bad guys with AK 47s in this area in the last few years.

That is very sad and I hope the facts actually come out on what really happened to that kid.

Open carrying of a rifle is no longer legal in CA in incorporated areas. I really doubt that kid would have known that (even considering it was an airsoft gun). Hell there's a book on amazon.com about how to own a gun in CA and not end up in jail.. A book, and seriously after buying an AK in CA I can see why. It takes some work to ensure you're abiding by everything.

Now to the kid. I've seen reports that the autopsy done by a doc for parents show 2 fatal wounds, from his butt to his chest. Makes it sound like the kid might have been on the ground when he got shot. There's also a neighbor that stated that there was no time between the 'drop the gun' order and shots happening.

Also no reports of the kid actually pointing the gun @ the officer other that turning around.

Basically lots of things that'll probably never get answered around this

This isn't floor mat anarchy
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

November 09, 2013 05:12AM
i dunno about the shot on the ground thing, certainly possible. Bullets do things that defy "common sense" when they hit a person. In one spot, it can punch through with no immediate effect on the individual, or in the opposite case the entry and exit can be on opposite ends of the body when the bullet contacts bone.

this part not in reply to you, Jason.
Also, I think a lot of people with limited knowledge on guns/ammo think a single bullet kills like in the movies. If a person pointing a long gun at you is shot, the gun is still pointed at you, and in the (literally) fraction of a second this all occurs, multiple shots can be taken before ANY noticeable impact has taken place from the shots.

I had a discussion recently with some coworkers that I think people should be more scared of someone with a knife who wants to kill, than someone with a gun. Shooting is a difficult skill to get good at, the vast majority (probably an ass-umption) that take the time to get good aren't murderers. Transversely, any idiot with a knife can get an important artery.

[[why did I let myself get in to this thread?]]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login