Posted by alkun 
biknman
David Potter
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
03 WRX Wagon

Re: electric power steering pump
November 07, 2011 02:01PM
I'm in the process of fabing in a Yaris EPAS column using the rally wiz controller into my 03 WRX. Currently waiting on the controller as the column w/ECU won't do anything jsut hooked to power. Supposedly needs a speed signal to activate open the rally wiz box gives it what it needs.

Dave Potter
Potter Racing
PHA #139 S3
“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing,
and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
• Ernest Hemingway
http://biknman.shutterfly.com/action Link for my photo album smiling smiley Enjoy
Please Login or Register to post a reply
kaiser sosa
Josh vonAhlefeld
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 VW Golf GTi

Re: electric power steering pump
July 05, 2012 08:06PM
mack73
Josh Wimpey
(3) This should be HIGH on the list of projects for TSS---build brackets for moving the horrible VW PS location UP to AC or alternator location...

Yes this really isn't that hard. Here's a OEM MKIII Alternator/AC bracket. Add 1 simple bracket and the pump is in the right spot. Funny enough using a VR water pump pulley puts everything perfectly in alignment, no milling necessary. NOTE the additional bracket to pivot the alternator is due to carbs that hang where the alternator is, not required if your using OEM intake.

Okay, with this setup how did you get enough wrap/tension/friction on the water pump pulley?
I have tried a couple different brackets like this, all locating the power steering pump even higher than your pictures would indicate and with a belt on I can reach down and spin the water pump pulley by hand with almost no resistance.
My serpentine right now drives water and alternator and the only places I can place the ps pump put it on too close of a plane with the water pump and belt only contacts maybe 15-20 deg of it.
Is it something simple that I am just overlooking?
It woud make sense that you can't spin either wp or ps pump backwards to get a different wrap pattern, the belt is currently "exterior" on all the pulleys except tensioner if that makes sense, sorry I dont have any pics.
I still have the Mini elec ps pump that can go in but this seemed so easy...
Any idea'rs?
Thanks,
Josh

easy to be hard, hard to be smart
Jv
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login