john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Corolla updates
October 24, 2012 06:50PM
John Reed
Some more data from the Corolla. Maybe nobody cares, but it is my build thread and I am going to clutter it with meaningless crap... LOL

Well it looks like youse wuz givin 'er a good bit-o-wellie, lad.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
John Reed
John Reed
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

November 01, 2012 12:17PM
I finally got around to putting the Corolla on the dyno. I guess the old phrase of the cobbler's children have no shoes applies here, as since the car has been assembled I just never seemed to find the time (or motivation) to put it on the dyno. We ran Olympus and Mt Hood on the quick street tune I did when driving from scruitineering to The Ridge the night before Olympus.

All dyno runs were done with rally tires, at race air pressure. This isn't ideal for a dyno number but I really don't care about the number. It is just a tool to gauge how the engine is performing. I also still have the original exhaust on the car, which is probably borderline not being enough to begin with, and is smashed almost in half in a couple places (thank you Olympus!!). Hopefully before next season I will get the exhaust all fixed and a couple other small things to get a bit more out of her.

Street tune versus what I ended up with after dyno:

Tuned BEAMS now versus the old 4A-GE I pulled out:

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

November 01, 2012 12:22PM
Cool! That will make rocks fly further.
John Reed
John Reed
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

November 01, 2012 01:01PM
Couple more graphs, showing power and torque made at different throttle openings. This is one of many cases where a smaller throttle body probably wouldn't hurt anything, at least at this power level. That may change as I open up other bottlenecks in the current system (mainly the exhaust side of things right now).

Currently I run my throttle 1:1 (10% pedal = 10% blade) but using this data one could change that ratio to make the power delivery more progressive (10% pedal = 10% power type of thing). I like that it responds real quick to subtle throttle changes so I doubt I change it. Some people do not like that. Personal preference, nothing more.

Graph showing hp:

Graph showing tq:

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mega Moderator

November 01, 2012 02:42PM
We do something very similar on our formula car, but with throttle position vs torque. We have a severely pregressive throttle linkage set up. Currently we have decent gaps from 0-70%, but above that it gets a little packed. This year we are working on a pedal linkage to compliment the TB linkage as well. I'll see if I can find the before and after graphs for you.
John Reed
John Reed
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

November 01, 2012 02:51PM
Robert Culbertson
We do something very similar on our formula car, but with throttle position vs torque. We have a severely pregressive throttle linkage set up. Currently we have decent gaps from 0-70%, but above that it gets a little packed. This year we are working on a pedal linkage to compliment the TB linkage as well. I'll see if I can find the before and after graphs for you.

Yeah it can help a lot with controlling the power, and what works best will depend on a huge variety of factors. The big one as I mentioned before is simply driver preference, but also the power/weight/traction of the vehicle is going to be the major determinant (both in what works best and what the driver wants).

If you have the ECU capability and components, I HIGHLY recommend going to a drive by wire setup. You can adjust all of this on the fly, at the track. You can even tie it to a switch that lets the driver adjust it during a race.

You work with the Oregon State guys?

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com
Robert Culbertson
Mega Moderator

November 01, 2012 02:55PM
I do work with the OSU guys. I'm currently a graduate student studying in cylinder pressure, knock sensitivity with different fuels, as well as knock detection (seriously noisy environment). I may have to make a trip up to Hillsboro and pick your brain a bit.
John Reed
John Reed
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

November 01, 2012 03:06PM
Robert Culbertson
I do work with the OSU guys. I'm currently a graduate student studying in cylinder pressure, knock sensitivity with different fuels, as well as knock detection (seriously noisy environment). I may have to make a trip up to Hillsboro and pick your brain a bit.

Those are some of my favorite subjects to explore and learn more about, and I have no doubt that I could learn quite a bit from you. I have been looking into getting cylinder pressure measurement equipment here, but though the price has dropped quite a bit in recent years it is still expensive for an individual such as myself. Plus unless you are doing R&D on specific engine packages, I am not sure how relevant it is for someone like myself other than just to learn (which is why I wanted it).

I am sure you guys have some cool equipment to work with. I have a ton of real world data and knowledge but usually it is captured in less than ideal scenarios for the context of learning and applying going forward.

I did a bit of work and sponsorship with the guys up at University of Idaho a year or two ago, got them updated from their old MoTeC to the newer stuff and a few other small things.

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com
acrane
adam crane
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
corolla GT-yes

November 01, 2012 10:17PM
aren't cars great?

So for the rally -x
i'm going to need you to program your car to do the imperial march from star wars on the grid start.
'da da da, ddum de dum, dum de dum'

See you there.
PS. GPS to follow.

"I put the hurt on dirt" - adam crane
http://CraneRallyCrew.com
corolla gt-s "Patches"
Op: S.S.
John Reed
John Reed
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

November 01, 2012 10:35PM
acrane
aren't cars great?

So for the rally -x
i'm going to need you to program your car to do the imperial march from star wars on the grid start.

See you there.
PS. GPS to follow.

That would be cool, my ECU is unfortunately not quite that gangsta.

I just need the ECU (and corresponding budget) these guys have:

F1 Car Plays National Anthem

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

November 02, 2012 11:01AM
Adam you headed down? Great news!! See you there.
John Reed
John Reed
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

November 02, 2012 11:07AM
acrane
aren't cars great?

So for the rally -x

See you there.
PS. GPS to follow.

Oh and thanks for putting this damn idea in my head, and causing me to give up some sleep last night thinking about it. Got a couple ideas to try later today if I get time. HAHA I won't be able to do much but going to see if I can make it do the first few notes.

See you tomorrow!

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com
Robert Culbertson
Mega Moderator

November 02, 2012 05:41PM
Finally found the Throttle vs Torque charts. I have the before and after ones for comparison.
Attachments:
open | download - torque_vs_throttle_position.png (71.7 KB)
torque_vs_throttle_position.png
open | download - mod_torque_vs_tps.png (73 KB)
mod_torque_vs_tps.png
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 03, 2012 01:40AM
Wow fancy! All my cars seem to only have 0 or 100% throttle settings. I have to modulate speed by shitty gearing and lots of shifting. The average fuel consumption, which I'm not sure how to reset, started around 27 in my street car and is now at 20.3 after 2300 miles of driving.

Grant Hughes
John Reed
John Reed
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

November 05, 2012 11:33AM
Robert Culbertson
Finally found the Throttle vs Torque charts. I have the before and after ones for comparison.

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you guys ended up with a pretty ideal setup. I may try something similar on mine to see if I like it any better than what I have now.

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login